Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wearing other sport jerseys

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 08:09 PM
Noobtastic
Six feet please

Bikes: Specialized rockhopper, Ross gran tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was digging in my closet yesterday when I found my old long sleeve rugby jersey from high school. I wore it on my 10 mile ride to class and it didn't feel hot in the afternoon; I was most impressed with it because it was completely dry after the ride and looked presentable enough for me to wear all day around school since it simply looks like a long sleeved golf shirt (my friend even thought it "cute"). The only thing I didn't like about the jersey was that it did not keep me well insulated as I was riding home in the cold night, I wasn't freezing but I definitely was not comfortable. I've never owned a cycling jersey so I don't know if it's normal for cold wind to go through a jersey when you're riding fast.

My main point is that buying other sport jerseys instead of cycling jerseys is much easier on the wallet and they look good to me so I won't feel like I should change shirts after my commute. I can buy a few long sleeve rugby, soccer jerseys for the price of one cycling jersey this winter and be able to support my teams at the same time. But is there any quality to cycling jerseys that I'll miss out on(except the pockets)?

Here's a picture of a nice one:

Old 10-07-10, 08:22 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use running "jerseys" myself... you can get them anyplace (I got my short sleeved jersey at walmart for like $8) and they are the same material as cycling jerseys. the only disadvantage i've found is the lack of zippers and no rear pockets. neither of those have become so much as an annoyance to me.

this is my sleeved jersey:

Old 10-07-10, 11:52 PM
Noobtastic
Six feet please

Bikes: Specialized rockhopper, Ross gran tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, $8 is stupid cheap. I'll look at that while checking walmart for Under Armour. I figure that will keep me toasty on those really chilly nights, I already wear gloves and a wooly hat
Old 10-08-10, 01:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Zippers, for one.
Old 10-08-10, 01:32 AM
ReducedLunch

Bikes: LeMond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't need the pockets I say go for it... I had short sleeve jerseys my team provided but I had to buy my own long sleeved, so I always just wore the Walmart long sleeved under armor knock off and was more comfortable than in the long sleeved jersey. I think the lack of zipper can be nice in the cooler temps, although more expensive jerseys generally have something to keep the wind out
Old 10-08-10, 04:37 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you buy soccer jerseys to ride a bike, how will you ever advertise Kellogg's cornflakes or some weird, exotic pilsner?
Old 10-08-10, 06:14 AM
BulkyRider

Bikes: Felt QX95, Klein Quantum2(coming soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Japan and seems it's typical to wear UNIQLO shirt for riding especially those who ride hybrid bikes. Some snobby road bikers are laughing on that and common ppl are laughing on road bikers like this "Why do they put mushroom on their head and wear diaper??" lol
Old 10-08-10, 08:13 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Wear what you want as long as it works. Don't let the conformists rule your day. Despite a widely held belief, young people are the greatest conformists.
Old 10-08-10, 08:16 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Wear what you want as long as it works. Don't let the conformists rule your day. Despite a widely held belief, young people are the greatest conformists.
+1.