Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Want to try road bike but have neck issues - what solutions good to be more upright?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Want to try road bike but have neck issues - what solutions good to be more upright?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 04:27 PM
Triode

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK - bought a hybrid a month ago and am having a ball.

Barely have had the Trek 7.3 FX a month - but have put over 300 miles on it - which isn't bad for being 65 and haven't ridden a bike in over fifty years.

My neck - has a slightly thicker vertebrae that has given me problems for decades. I do fine with my head tilted down/forward. But this is such an issue that I do away with computer monitor stands and just prop the monitor up on the flat surface of the desk, where I am looking down at it. In my cars. I always drive with drivers seat tilted way back, unusually backward tilt.

So, I thought I would give a road bike a try. Seemed like it would be faster, more classic solution.

So, when test riding bikes today - Wow! really have to tilt your head up to see where you are going.

Finally, rode a Specialized Roubaix where the mechanic reversed a spacer in the stem, increased tilt by 8 degrees, I had him roll the handlebars higher up than he wanted. And it worked. But just barely. Only rode the bike for 10 minutes (felt really good) but I was just able to maintain seeing oncoming traffic. Then, my neck ached about 15 minutes on the way home.

My question is -

Will it work for me to be even more upright? Are there suitable ways to get there?

The mechanic mentioned there was an adapter that could be used to raise the stem even higher, but he would have to order it. Which if he doesn't stock, maybe it's not that common? Are there reasons to _not_ be more upright? (other than windage, engine power and balance.)

I almost bought the bike on the spot.

But, I don't really want to put out a couple of thousand and take a hit if I am not going to be able to ride it.

Anybody with similar issues? How did you resolve?

thanks for any and all comments.

Regards

Last edited by Triode; 08-10-11 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 04:44 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,483 Times in 3,226 Posts
I was going to post something a little more acerbic when I saw your title.

But you seem to get it, so.

Yoga? PT? Acupuncture?

There are many reasons to get lower. You mentioned all three.

I truly believe at the very core of my being is that a well fitting road bike where you use all contact points (butt, feet and hands) in a shifting, dynamic balance is THE most comfortable and efficient way to enjoy being on two wheels. That said, there are those that feel a (I am having a bit of difficulty typing, please bear with me...) recumbent position can offer a really enjoyable way to power one's self down the road.

Find your own path. But do, please keep riding.
Old 08-10-11, 04:57 PM
Sylv
Philly Fanatic

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more upright the more wasted power (resistance), more weight shifted to your rearend contact point, and potentially affect handling and balance. A bike is designed to be ridden a certain way, once you start throwing on excessive spacers, stems at weird lengths and angles, and other adaptations... your ability to use the machine effectively and safely will be reduced.

You know your body best, but you would be amazed how many people with knee, lower back, and neck problems find those maladies disappear once they've cycled a significant amount and their bodies have adapted. Maybe try riding your hybrid for a full season, lower the handle bars gradually, and try to lean over a bit more as you do and see if your neck can adapt.

And don't rule out recumbent bikes, I know a number of riders that use them and they can keep up with the best of us. Although they suck to draft behind...
Old 08-10-11, 05:28 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Since you need to be looking forward or downward, you would be best served by a recumbent cycle. I would not even bother looking at a road bike if I were you. Even riding upright with your hands on the tops of the handle bars, you will be hunched over and your head tilted back.

Besides, if you buy the right recumbent, it will be more comfortable and faster than a road bike.
Old 08-10-11, 05:34 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's wrong with continuing to have a ball on the hybrid?

I'm thinking, "if it ain't broke..."
Old 08-10-11, 06:00 PM
Stratman351

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. I have cervical spinal stenosis - narrowing of the cervical vertebrae - such that an MRI of my cervical spine shows an hour-glass shape in that area. I have a pair of glasses designed to do one thing only: let me look at a computer monitor without craning my neck back, which I'd have to do with my regular glasses (trifocals, though they call them "progressives"; I'm actually 20/30 without glasses, but need them for reading and intermediate vision). Craning my neck back for an extended period leads to excruciating pain in my neck and left arm, as if someone threaded a wire coat hanger through it.

As a result, I rode a Specialized Sirrus flatbar for five years before switching to a traditional drop-bar with relaxed geometry about two months ago. I got a Felt Z5 after considering a number of other models, including the Cannondale Synapse and others. I've adapted to the Felt to the point where I wish I'd done it years ago. The geometry affords a sufficiently upright position (and I could get more upright by messing with the stem, which I did on the Synapse I tried) when I want it, but I've found I can even ride in the drops for short periods, which comes in handy when climbing into the wind, or just for squeezing out some extra speed on fast descents.

I've had no neck/arm problems since getting the Felt, and have completely eliminated the hand/thumb numbness I was getting from being in one position on the flat-bar all the time.
Old 08-10-11, 06:00 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Originally Posted by DScott
What's wrong with continuing to have a ball on the hybrid?

I'm thinking, "if it ain't broke..."
I'm thinking he wants to go a little faster in a little more style...
Old 08-10-11, 06:12 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Okay, I suffer the same problem and recently there was a thread that helped me out-a lot. This is what you want to do, stay with the road bike. Try rotating your pelvis forward and down, as though you were tipping a bowl forward with the bowl being your pelvis. This will straighten and flatten your spine, removing the hump and in doing this will reduce the acuteness of the angle between your cervical vertebrae and your skull, thus opening up the posterior facets and relieving nerve compression. I am being serious here, it works. Bottom line, a more aggressive position ends up giving you greater comfort in looking forward rather than down
Old 08-10-11, 07:42 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Get a bike with a quill stem. Get the bars at least as high as the saddle and you may really like it.
Old 08-10-11, 08:03 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
https://www.rivbike.com/

Scroll through and check out the pictures of the Roadeo, the "wet weather, slightly heavier build" has a handlebar to saddle height that you would probably love.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/show...rameset/50-618

If you click on the "read" section of the site you will see a different philosophy for road biking fit and setup compared to what your lbs is selling you.
Old 08-10-11, 08:03 PM
Triode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Okay, I suffer the same problem and recently there was a thread that helped me out-a lot. This is what you want to do, stay with the road bike. …I am being serious here, it works. Bottom line, a more aggressive position ends up giving you greater comfort in looking forward rather than down
Originally Posted by Stratman351
I have exactly the same problem…... I got a Felt Z5 after considering a number of other models, including the Cannondale Synapse and others. I've adapted to the Felt to the point where I wish I'd done it years ago….
I really appreciate the input from others with the same problem. I can learn to ride the road bike in this manner.

The same shop has a Felt Z5 that I will try also, before purchasing the Roubaix.

I’m 65, no way I’m going to be racing. Even so, After being on the Roubaix - it's so much better than the hybrid, that I want to find a solution. I can keep the hybrid for when I ride with my wife who rides slowly.

I’ve been a jogger for years. I also was plagued with plantar fasciatus for decades. Interestingly enough, when I started running more than a couple miles, at some point it disappeared. I don’t think the bone issues will disappear, but it looks like I will be able to adapt enough to have fun and keep up with some of the guys I would like to ride with.

I appreciate these and any other suggestions others may have to help me along.

Thanks
Old 08-10-11, 08:05 PM
Triode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Get a bike with a quill stem. Get the bars at least as high as the saddle and you may really like it.
Can a quill stem be added?
Old 08-10-11, 08:06 PM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just came home tonight with a Look 566 Ultegra to replace my Sirrus Sport. It's a taller headtube/relaxed/plush style frame similar to the Roubaix (I demo'd a Roubaix but liked the Look better). I have a curvature of the spine in my upper back so my problem area is lower than yours.

I can tell it will take some getting used to the new position. I believe that as my core strength increases I will become more comfortable than I am on the hybrid today, but I expect it will take a month or two. I started working my core on an exercise ball to speed the process.

I considered a FSA K-Wing bar which gets you more upright when your hands are on the bar. Ultimately I decided not to, at least right away, but it's worth considering.
Old 08-10-11, 08:15 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adding a headset extender would be a cheap and easy way to increase the height for you. The only other real option is perhaps doing a recumbent. That would certainly give you a head position that you could use.
Old 08-10-11, 08:18 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're looking for a little more speed out of your current bike, upgrade the tires to something a bit lighter and narrower and then add bar ends for another hand position. Also, you could consider touring bikes which will have a bit more upright geometry though I don't think they'll feel any faster than your current trek.
Old 08-10-11, 08:49 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, what was the stem length and rise on the Roubaix? Putting spacers in is only one way to a more relaxed, upright geometry. A shorter stem with a say 16-30 degree rise will bring you more upright and relieve the C-spine pressure. Even though they are a tad Fred an adjustable stem might be the way to go so you can gradually reduce the angle as you get more accustomed to the road geometry.
Old 08-10-11, 09:39 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylv
The more upright the more wasted power (resistance), more weight shifted to your rearend contact point, and potentially affect handling and balance. A bike is designed to be ridden a certain way, once you start throwing on excessive spacers, stems at weird lengths and angles, and other adaptations... your ability to use the machine effectively and safely will be reduced.
This simply is not true! Of course your going to put more body weight on the seat but they have saddles designed for that. Of course if your sitting upright your not going to be as fast as a pro racer, but your not racing so who cares? Handling and balance for the most part is up to the rider and you will get use to handling and balancing your bike riding more upright, and in that process your safety will be just fine.

Should you get a road bike...perhaps, but what kind of road bike, racing frame? no, touring frame? yes, comfort frame? yes; of all the road bike designs on the market a touring or a comfort frame puts you in the most upright position. The Roubaix is designed to be ridden race style, don't let some LBS sales guy try to sell you a bike that you will not be comfortable on on long rides. Look into a touring or comfort bike.

Also one poster mentioned recumbents, this is a very good option, I too know a couple of guys who ride these due to back problems and they love them. There not as effective climbing grades as a standard road bike, but the can be faster on level roads and even faster going down hill. Their also more difficult for a car to see so the guys I know attached fiberglass poles (I think 5' tall) with neon green triangle shaped flags attached to the top.

When you do test ride a bike don't just ride it around in the LBS parking lot, take it on at least a 5 mile spin and then see how it feels.
Old 08-11-11, 06:38 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Originally Posted by Triode
Can a quill stem be added?
Not that I'm aware of. You can get stems with as much as a 40 degree rise.

But read and understand what the good doctor is saying. My first post approached this. See if you can find a fit coach that has experience with your condition.

BTW, when I'm in the drops I don't look very far up the road except for quick glances. My eyes are always moving, mind you, but generally I'm only looking 20-25 ft ahead most of the time. I look behind me under my left arm. I ride for exercise - not to look at cows and trees and stuff. All I really look for are road hazards I'm approaching or, if riding behind some one, the wheel(s) in front of me. Unless you've got really craggy brows and deep-set eyes or are wearing a MTB helmet I can't imagine that seeing what you need with your head down is a problem. Oh, this doesn't apply for urban riding or congested areas. Other rules apply in that case.
Old 08-11-11, 07:32 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Why do you want to ride a road bike? Are you racing, is it just the speed, fit in, compete with yourself or a friend or is it just the fun? If it is for the fun, I would put comfort first and raise the handlebars enough to be comfortable and have fun. If you are competing in any of the ways mentioned, well... you will be uncomfortable to be faster and more competitive so live with it.

Marc
Old 08-11-11, 08:06 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Try the "Z". They way they are set up stock with a bunch of spacers and a long stem (unflipped), should help. They definatley dont look like the piucture in the catalog. Mine felt like a "Chopper" when I got it. Its easier for them to start that way and let you work them down later.

I wasnt particularly fond of the stock set up so I made it work for me. Stock could be your ticket.
Old 08-11-11, 08:20 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Roubaix is a great bike. Find a position that is comfortable for you. Lots of folks here just want to be aero and fast. The roubaix has a nice tall head tube and that will help you. Be very careful to get a good fit. If you have to stretch out a lot that may put more strain on your neck. I have a bad back and find less stretch keeps the problems to a minimum.

The Roubaix is a great ride. Go carbon frame.
Old 08-11-11, 08:38 AM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was wondering whether looking forward, or being un-able to look forward enough, may be a problem and safety issue for you, while going fast and bent forward on a road racing bike. It's sometimes a concern for me when using the lower part of the drop bars, and I have no neck issues. Hybrids are designed for a more upright posture. To ride upright, a hybrid will work out better than a road bike. Get more speed on a hybrid with road wheels and gearing, if speed is the goal. Your comfort on the bike will affect your speed and continuing interest in riding it. Recumbents look like the most comfortable bikes, and look like they'd tighten up the stomach muscles more. I haven't tried one yet, but will when I get a chance.

Last edited by justadude; 08-11-11 at 08:47 AM. Reason: ed
Old 08-11-11, 08:43 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might be approaching the point of diminishing return of a road bike if you raise the handle bar too much. If your neck condition has been that bad for decades I doubt if you would be able to improve much at the age of 65. As others have said: stick with the hybrid or try a recumbent.
Old 08-11-11, 11:16 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hyhuu
You might be approaching the point of diminishing return of a road bike if you raise the handle bar too much. If your neck condition has been that bad for decades I doubt if you would be able to improve much at the age of 65. As others have said: stick with the hybrid or try a recumbent.
I will dissent a bit. I am 57 and a long time roadie. I plan to ride into my 80's God willing...if there is a God. ;-)
A road bike even upright is a faster than any alternative bike except for a racing recumbent which maybe a good solution but we all know that recumbents are a bit of a compromise out on the road for maneuvering.
I too have suffered with a marginal neck for many years. He just needs to buy a comfort road bike geometry and set it upright.
Surg's suggestions about position on the bike are spot on...posture affects neck health a lot. Most of us that are dedicated are always working on our position. I lowered my stem last night more than I should have...I am always seeking the limit of my capability and today I am paying the price. 10mm of spacers and 5mm of setback can spell the difference between a perfect neck and a day of pain after the ride.
OP, you are no longer young and time is short. A Roubaix, Felt Z, and probably my fav because I ride a Look...the Look 566 should be on your short list. Also consider the Defy by Giant. Go for a shortish 17 deg riser stem on a stack of spacers and keep the bars not too far away, focus on pelvis tilt and straightish back and now you have road bike speed closer to the position of your hybrid.
Be sure and come back after you get your bike and post a picture. If you need further help with your set up, post a picture with you on the bike. Strive for a back angle on the hoods of about 20 deg to vertical or closer to a std hybrid/mountain bike position for non racers.
Have fun and ride often.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-11-11 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 12:51 PM
Triode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish to thank everyone for their input.

Went back and they had moved the seat forward, just about all the way - that made all the difference in the world. I didn't really notice, but it may have been all the way to the back. They had the bike on a work stand, not sure what other adjustments they made.

That, plus - I had my own helmet, with no visor - and visibility wasn't an issue.

As mentioned in other threads - setup is everything. Really more than I would have thought.

I bought the bike.

Now, I have to learn how to use clipless pedals _grin_

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.