Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Bikes...why the lack of love??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant Bikes...why the lack of love??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-11, 06:15 AM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Braden1550
I'll admit it was a VERY poor choice of words, but I'm standing by my judgement as one of the only people in the 41 with one of these bikes, and a fair degree of experience in the other.

Twice as stiff, I should have kept it at that. And that's at a minimum. If you have also ridden both bikes, and would like to weigh in, be my guess-but please, you can't tell me how it "can't be that good" unless you've put in a few thousand k's on one. Much the same as I can't tell you how good a Lamborghini Reneventon is, or how it can't be that much better than a corvette.

Also, someone singled out one poor review-do a simple search for Dogma 1 reviews and you will find most people, paid or unpaid, whether they bought, own or sell them, absolutely gushing. Not to mention the awards it's gotten. If you're in any doubt about Pinarellos ability overall, have a look at the even greater swag of awards the Prince has.

Once again, I'd like to apologise for my poor choice of words, but I'm standing by everything else I've said.

Oh, and as far as the "modulus myth" argument goes, why doesn't Giant have rabobank ride their TCR Adv 1's? If you could afford what the pros were riding..

And also, on a larger scale, if higher modulus carbon was a myth, then someone better let the f1 teams know they are doing it wrong.

I'm also standing by what I initially said. Giants are good at everything, but the only thing they are amazingly good at is value for money. That's not to say they are a bad bike, far from it. You do pay a monetary penalty for a Dogma. Is it worth it? Well I'm telling you, because very few of you have no idea. If you can afford it, it's worth every cent.
The miniscule benefits of a pricier bike may be worth it to you, but are definitely not worth the premium to me, especially given that I can ride just as fast on my substantially less expensive bike (I'll bet it costs 1/3rd-1/4th what that Dogma costs.)
Old 10-29-11, 06:36 AM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Then why is it weighing in at 950 grams per Sky's website? That's extremely heavy for a pro bike these days.

I will be curious to see if Cavendish can ride the stock frame. If it's that still, as you say, then he ought to be good with it.
That is what they claim, but they seem to come in around 1,200 - 1,300g in real life. So it better ride really good, because it doesn't have anything else going for it (including looks, IMO).

And I predict Cavendish will start the season poorly and blame his lack of results on the bike.
Old 10-29-11, 08:29 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I'll admit it was a VERY poor choice of words, but I'm standing by my judgement as one of the only people in the 41 with one of these bikes, and a fair degree of experience in the other.

Twice as stiff, I should have kept it at that. And that's at a minimum. If you have also ridden both bikes, and would like to weigh in, be my guess-but please, you can't tell me how it "can't be that good" unless you've put in a few thousand k's on one. Much the same as I can't tell you how good a Lamborghini Reneventon is, or how it can't be that much better than a corvette.

Also, someone singled out one poor review-do a simple search for Dogma 1 reviews and you will find most people, paid or unpaid, whether they bought, own or sell them, absolutely gushing. Not to mention the awards it's gotten. If you're in any doubt about Pinarellos ability overall, have a look at the even greater swag of awards the Prince has.

Once again, I'd like to apologise for my poor choice of words, but I'm standing by everything else I've said.

Oh, and as far as the "modulus myth" argument goes, why doesn't Giant have rabobank ride their TCR Adv 1's? If you could afford what the pros were riding..

And also, on a larger scale, if higher modulus carbon was a myth, then someone better let the f1 teams know they are doing it wrong.

I'm also standing by what I initially said. Giants are good at everything, but the only thing they are amazingly good at is value for money. That's not to say they are a bad bike, far from it. You do pay a monetary penalty for a Dogma. Is it worth it? Well I'm telling you, because very few of you have no idea. If you can afford it, it's worth every cent.
Hyperbole can be a b**ch eh?

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 10-29-11 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-29-11, 11:43 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Everything you're saying is nonsense, because you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

This isn't a crime, no one knows everything. But you aren't going to learn anything with this state of mind.
Old 10-29-11, 01:19 PM
Painful Chafe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it just me or does anyone else think the wavy Pinarello tubes look goofy? Maybe there is a valid reason behind it, but to me it just looks like a marketing gimic. Something that is only there to make them stand out by being unique.
Old 10-29-11, 01:30 PM
rick1

Bikes: 2010 Giant tcr advanced SL - 2016 Giant TCR advanced SL - 2014 Giant XTC 29er - 2019 Giant TCX cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminds me of the Look frames with the sudden bend in the top tube. A rep from the company actually said the bent top tube dosen't serve a performance purpose it's just for visual appearance.
Old 10-29-11, 01:36 PM
Painful Chafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
If I have to start referring to the peridoic table or break out my slide rule to discern what bike I want to buy, over another bike, I will go back to bowling and be done with it.
LOL

Absolutely perfect.

Did you even think about this statement before you made it?

Last edited by Painful Chafe; 10-29-11 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-29-11, 08:11 PM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
C.O.L ranking:
FL - 30
TX - 8
NC - 23
SC - 24
GA - 9
CA - 49
I'm sorry, I've never lived in any of those states, but I cannot possibly believe your numbers could be true (unless it's rated upside-down). There are only 50 states! No way is CA the 2nd cheapest. Seriously, no way...
Old 10-29-11, 10:29 PM
Braden1550

Bikes: I hate bikes.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 41
Old 10-30-11, 06:15 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fa63
That is what they claim, but they seem to come in around 1,200 - 1,300g in real life. So it better ride really good, because it doesn't have anything else going for it (including looks, IMO).

And I predict Cavendish will start the season poorly and blame his lack of results on the bike.
Never weighed one so I'll take your word for it. I just know that all those wavy stays add weight.

Cav will probably ride the stock bike, then complain and need a stiffer one and end up with the McLaren and claim that Pinarello straightened out all the wavy stuff for him to save weight and add stiffness. And the frame will not be available for sale.
Old 10-30-11, 06:19 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

And also, on a larger scale, if higher modulus carbon was a myth, then someone better let the f1 teams know they are doing it wrong. I'm also standing by what I initially said. Giants are good at everything, but the only thing they are amazingly good at is value for money. That's not to say they are a bad bike, far from it. You do pay a monetary penalty for a Dogma. Is it worth it? Well I'm telling you, because very few of you have no idea. If you can afford it, it's worth every cent.
You mean like McLaren who worked with Specialized to develop Cavendish's Venge McLaren? Like that F1 team?
Old 10-30-11, 06:23 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratchet
I'm sorry, I've never lived in any of those states, but I cannot possibly believe your numbers could be true (unless it's rated upside-down). There are only 50 states! No way is CA the 2nd cheapest. Seriously, no way...
Actually there are 58 states.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u3PteRPLys

57 down one to go...
Old 10-30-11, 06:32 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thinking about purchasing a ford ranger, but think the foreign alternatives may be a better choice and in thinking about that I ate steak this weekend, feel terrible and think my girlish figure is falling apart.
Old 10-30-11, 06:41 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Actually there are 58 states.
That's correct, but only if you are the prez. I'm still trying to figure out what 7 other states he's been to.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-30-11, 01:47 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by triumph.1
I am thinking about purchasing a ford ranger, but think the foreign alternatives may be a better choice and in thinking about that I ate steak this weekend, feel terrible and think my girlish figure is falling apart.
Let's see!
Old 06-05-12, 02:07 PM
hunterr41

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Gator
They are made in China and are evil like Wal-Mart.
Giant bikes are made in Taiwan and they mfg many other brand name bikes, ie Trek
Old 06-05-12, 02:46 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
its alive!
Old 06-05-12, 06:24 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterr41
Giant bikes are made in Taiwan and they mfg many other brand name bikes, ie Trek
Back form the dead...
From someone around since 2009, & 12 posts...
Old 06-06-12, 09:24 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Honestly, every bike you'll buy these days, unless it's one of the obscenely expensive high-end versions of TREK or Cannondale, is going to be made in Asia. It's been that way for years. Whether or not that's a good thing may be an area upon which people differ, but to say that Asia isn't capable of quality manufacturing is just nuts. They were beating the U.S. auto industry two decades ago and that competition is the only reason Detroit started building decent cars. Competition and globalization can actually be a good thing.

On to the broader question, I own a Giant TCR Advanced SL-3 and absolutely love it.
Old 06-06-12, 09:29 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Honestly, that has to be one of the craziest statements I've ever seen. Absolutely nobody in the world manufactures more carbon fiber frames every year than Giant. They're one of the few bike manufacturers that have a wholly-owned frame manufacturing facility. Lots of other manufacturers outsource their frame builds, depending on the cost of the machine.
Old 06-06-12, 11:38 AM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a TCR advanced. It's not sexy but it hauls ass. I picked the TCR over over a similar priced Tarmac and Madone 4.5 but got Dura-Ace instead of Apex or 105... As an evaluation of the three I thought the Tarmac was the best ride, the Giant was a solid second, Madone was distant third(but was not set up correctly for me). As a disclaimer none of the bikes were sexy.