Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel weight - Do you expect more than advertised?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 04:39 AM
Nathan555

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I recently bought a pair of Token C55 Carbon Clinchers. Part of the reason was because the weight at 1448g seemed great value, but when I received them, they were nearly 200gs more (excluding rim tape and skewers). They were pretty up front about the true weight with a specs sheet in the box that said they actually weighed 739g front & 894g rear (which is 1633g total and roughly 12.7% more than advertised). After weighing them myself I can say that's fairly accurate.

Is this as normal as Token makes it appear to be or should I be a bit peeved off for being mislead?

Thanks
Old 02-10-15, 05:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Sounds like too much of a difference. Is it possible the tubular version weighs 1448 and the clincher is approx 200g heavier? That is my guess.
Old 02-10-15, 05:49 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
They know you're not going to ship them back to Taiwan so they fudge the specs to get your money.
Old 02-10-15, 05:58 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd be mad.

Email them with a "What the hell?" inquiry. They'll probably have some half-assed excuse, but I'm curious to know what it is. I would also bet they'll just offer to accept a return.
Old 02-10-15, 06:06 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
That weight difference is too much to tolerate. I would send them back. But the clincher-tubular thing could be the right explanation.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-10-15, 07:02 AM
November Dave

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
I'd send them back, categorically. As much as we hate it, the norm is to fudge. We fudge, too, only it's in the direction of making sure no one gets a bad surprise.

If you've bought something based on weight, you must weigh it and confirm, and impose consequences if it comes in unacceptably heavier. Assuming you're comparing advertised specs to received product correctly, you've been lied to.

What constitutes unacceptably heavier? We see alloy rim weights vary +/- 15g/rim, carbon weight variance is more like +/- 10g/rim. Hubs and spokes do not vary by more than a gram or 3 per wheel. Our convention would be to create a stated weight based on the heaviest rim. Many do the median, many others find the lightest one ever made and use that. Again, if you are comparing specs correctly, there has never been a wheel set of that model that weighed anything close to what is stated, and that is definitely unacceptable.

And we don't really get too worked up over weight. It's spec-fudging that bothers us.
Old 02-10-15, 09:01 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Ultimately, the weight isn't going to make a difference to your riding, however, the wheels were mis-represented. You have two options: Cancel the sale and ask for a full refund or ask for a discount. If you want a refund they would need to oblige and if they didn't you could go through Visa. Personally, I would settle for a reasonable discount.
Old 02-10-15, 09:31 AM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
They know you're not going to ship them back to Taiwan so they fudge the specs to get your money.
^^^^ this...

"Just send it back to us"
Old 02-10-15, 09:56 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

My experience with variation of rim and hub weight exactly matches November Dave's. Spokes tend to average out to nominal unless a whole run is over or under.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-10-15, 10:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Sounds like too much of a difference. Is it possible the tubular version weighs 1448 and the clincher is approx 200g heavier? That is my guess.
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
^^^^ this...

"Just send it back to us"
Sounds evil, but is probably true.

Old 02-11-15, 06:42 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by November Dave
I'd send them back, categorically. As much as we hate it, the norm is to fudge. We fudge, too, only it's in the direction of making sure no one gets a bad surprise.

If you've bought something based on weight, you must weigh it and confirm, and impose consequences if it comes in unacceptably heavier. Assuming you're comparing advertised specs to received product correctly, you've been lied to.

What constitutes unacceptably heavier? We see alloy rim weights vary +/- 15g/rim, carbon weight variance is more like +/- 10g/rim. Hubs and spokes do not vary by more than a gram or 3 per wheel. Our convention would be to create a stated weight based on the heaviest rim. Many do the median, many others find the lightest one ever made and use that. Again, if you are comparing specs correctly, there has never been a wheel set of that model that weighed anything close to what is stated, and that is definitely unacceptable.

And we don't really get too worked up over weight. It's spec-fudging that bothers us.
Dave speaks the truth. My Rail 52's weigh exactly as they were advertised (thanks for the great wheels).

A few years back, I bought a set of aluminum rims from a small reputable company and they turned out to weigh 80 grams more than advertised (I won't say which, they've been great wheels and 80 grams wasn't a deal breaker). I called the owner to ask about the variance and he apologized stating that different batches of the rims tended to weigh differently sometimes and they were working on making sure they were closer to the claimed weight. With November having proprietary molds, I reckon they can better insure the weights of what they sell.
Old 02-11-15, 08:47 PM
rpenmanparker 

Aluminum rims are extruded through a die which wears over time allowing the rim extrusions to grow in thickness and weight over time. Most aluminum rim makers start with dies that are on the small side so that a run of rims starts out on the light side of nominal and becomes heavier as the run progresses. The variation in rim thickness and weight is actually intended as a way of extending the life of the dies which are expensive to machine. Conscientious manufacturers will start the run only about 5% light and end it when the rims reach about 5% heavy. So the weight specification is about +/- 5% which is completely reasonable. Guys who are trying to save an extra few bucks will start out even lighter and keep running with the same dies until the rims become quite heavy. That isn't right. It is also wrong for the manufacturer to quote the lightest rim they ever make as the nominal.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-11-15, 08:54 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my Williams carbon clincher were slightly lighter about 20 grams. Right in line with tolerance I am sure. 200 grams is a lot and its unlikely they get many returns. Hopefully they meet your expectations on every thing else.
Old 02-20-15, 12:51 AM
Nathan555

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I found the answer, they gave me PSR1432 Spokes rather than the advertised CX-Ray spokes, which on some of the wheels they advertise accounts for nearly the exact 185g difference. Thanks for the help, I'll be looking to see if I can get these replaced.

Old 02-20-15, 05:53 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Nathan555
Thanks guys, I think I found the answer, they gave me PSR1432 Spokes rather than the advertised CX-Ray spokes, which on some of the wheels they advertise accounts for nearly the exact 185g difference. Thanks for the help, I'll be looking to see if I can get these replaced.

That would do it. It don't think that spoke is nearly as good as the lighter CX-Ray. Exchanging them is a good idea.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-20-15, 06:25 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
While it seems OP has figured out his issue, here is a reference for what is typical in in advertised vs actual wheel weights. Many of the listings are old, but you can still spot trends on who is more honest:

Weight Weenies - Road Wheels
Old 02-20-15, 06:45 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by canam73
While it seems OP has figured out his issue, here is a reference for what is typical in in advertised vs actual wheel weights. Many of the listings are old, but you can still spot trends on who is more honest:

Weight Weenies - Road Wheels
Sure, but it is not all honesty/dishonesty. There is normal manufacturing variation as discussed earlier in this thread. In any manufactured product it is normal and accepted practice to advertise only the average, saving the actual range of variation for a "Technical Specification Sheet". Most honest would be to quote the range over which one's wheels could be expected to vary, not only the average weight and certainly not only the lowest possible weight. I agree that the latter is dishonest.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-20-15, 07:10 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Sure, but it is not all honesty/dishonesty. There is normal manufacturing variation as discussed earlier in this thread. In any manufactured product it is normal and accepted practice to advertise only the average, saving the actual range of variation for a "Technical Specification Sheet". Most honest would be to quote the range over which one's wheels could be expected to vary, not only the average weight and certainly not only the lowest possible weight. I agree that the latter is dishonest.
Right. Which is why I said you can spot trends.
Old 02-20-15, 08:02 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by canam73
Right. Which is why I said you can spot trends.
Exactly, I just meant that a list of one-off samples of product could suggest a supplier is "dishonest", when they are quite acceptably quoting the average of their production. That one sample tested could just be an outlier, one that you and I wouldn't want to receive, but still just part of the normal distribution of product.

Originally Posted by LAJ