Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Post-ride/recovery shake recipes?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 01-22-20, 05:39 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts

I’m looking for recommendations and inspirations for my post-ride shakes.

Partly I just am interested in new recipes/ingredients that could change up my routine. But also would appreciate guidance on what nutrients it’s good to include to aid in recovery. Like, do I need to be adding protein powder?

I’m neither at the pointy end of races nor looking to lose weight. in decently good shape and looking to get faster, but just as much with making sure I’m fueling properly. I ride 1.5 - 2 hrs on 3 mornings a week and try to get in a longer 3 - 4 hr ride as well (fasted). I make a shake afterwards and often don’t eat again until dinner, work often interferes with lunch.
Old 01-22-20, 07:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There are a few similar threads here -- scroll down the thread list a bit.

Keep in mind that my experiences and practices are based on a long and often painful recovery from injuries and illness. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 20 years ago, a pesky auto-immune disorder that eventually killed my thyroid. There were long periods of time when I could barely get out of bed, let alone exercise. Now, at age 62, I'm cycling at a level just above average for fit men my age. I've even cracked the top ten on a few Strava segments on good days. For me, that's a huge improvement. But what works for me may have little or no effect for folks who are already reasonably fit and performing at a level typical for their age group.

After lots of experimenting with snacks, gels and drinks I've settled on a few that work for me without digestion problems. Some common ingredients in many energy and protein snacks can cause GI upset and gas for some folks. I've had to switch away from sugar alcohols for that reason. While effective for energy with low glycemic index, maltitol made me comically gassy -- like turbo-charged. Not fun for anyone riding behind me.

Most days I mix a quart of an energy/nutrition drink for pre- and post-ride and workouts:
  • Cold coffee (whatever's leftover from my morning pot of French press dark roast).
  • Six Star vanilla whey powder. I've tried many protein powders, whey and vegan. Legume powders have an awful flavor and texture to me - like dirt. Whey is cheap and it doesn't make sense to overpay. I tried many brands and Six Star is among the best buys with added amino acids and creatine, so I don't need to add creatine.
  • Creatine if it's not already in the whey powder.
  • L-arginine, if it's not already in the whey powder. Reportedly helps the body produce nitric oxide, especially on sunny days and exposed skin.
  • Magnesium lactate -- reduces muscle cramps and burning during heavy efforts such as intervals or climbing.
For much of 2018-'19 I also added several other supplements by cracking open the gel capsules, but that was because I had difficulty swallowing due to a swollen thyroid that distorted and constricted my esophagus and trachea (since resolved with surgery to remove a cancerous calcified tumor). I can swallow capsules again so I no longer add those to the drink.

Bulk Supplements and a few other companies sell common supplements in simple ziplock bags. Often it's cheaper than capsule versions. Those can be added to drinks as well, although some taste pretty bad. The l-arginine, especially the AAKG version I take, tastes a little salty and bitter. But a good vanilla flavored whey powder seems to smooth out the flavor.

I also use niacin, DHEA, pregnenolone, beta-ecdysterone and other supplements. Seems to work for me, especially the ecdysterone (it's derived from greens, including spinach, and from the exoskeletons of some shellfish and insects). But study the available pros and cons carefully before using these. Bodybuilder forums often have more user anecdotes than any other source. I'm not competing in any sanctioned events so I'm not concerned about whether these are considered regulated or banned substances. They're legally available and some experts say there's little or no evidence they actually work. But many users, including me, report good results. (Or we might just be making very expensive urine and enjoying a placebo effect, who knows.)

Often I'll add kratom powder, about 1-2 grams, usually green vein or a blend of green and white vein. This can be controversial. It's legal in most states, but the FDA is considering regulating or banning it. I have chronic pain from having been hit by cars twice with permanent neck damage, shoulder and back injuries. It helps with pain while having few or no detrimental effects. It doesn't make me drowsy or sluggish like my prescription pain meds (which I rarely use, for that reason). There's a slight boost comparable to caffeine. I couldn't have gotten through the past two years of recovery from injuries (and cancer surgery) without it. And I don't say that lightly or without respect for the potential risks that accompany any alternative/herbal products. Study credible literature carefully before deciding whether it's right for you. Avoid the credulous hype from users who claim it's a miracle potion, and ignore the negative hype claiming that it's comparable to opiates. For most of us it's comparable to coffee and NSAIDs for chronic pain, but better. Many folks also report it helps with anxiety. I'd say the pain relief alone is responsible for whatever relief from anxiety I get.

In snacks:
I usually prefer Clif Cool Mint Chocolate protein/energy bars for the flavor, texture and caffeine. If I don't want extra caffeine pretty much any other Clif bar will do. I buy 'em from Kroger because it's cheaper than Amazon and most online retailers.

Ditto, Clif mocha gels for the flavor, texture and caffeine. It's always my go-to gel, after trying many others. I buy 'em by the carton from Amazon since it's cheaper.

Bananas. Lotsa bananas. An athlete's miracle food.
Old 01-22-20, 07:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Oh, and my essential post-ride/workout routine includes massaging my legs to tame the burn and soreness. I use a heavy marble rolling pin. I already had it in the kitchen. Got it from an antique shop mostly as a decoration, but it's also been useful for baking.

The weight and cool surface feels great on the thighs and calves. Much easier to use than foam rollers and more effective. Hardly anyone believes me when I suggest this, but it's the single best post-workout doodad I own. I wish I could find a massager as good. I wear out vibrating massagers about once or twice a year, mostly on my aching neck and shoulders.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-28-20, 11:38 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
6-8 ice cubes, 8oz milk, 65-80g chocolate whey protein, one banana. Blender. Cup. Mouth.
Old 01-29-20, 04:39 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Whey Protein, ripe banana, milk (enough to fully cover the banana chunks) in a blender - about 20 oz shake.
Old 01-29-20, 07:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
I've used Whey & Pea powder in a small bottle of fruit juice. It does what it is intended for but takes disgusting. If you guzzle the little bottle it doesn't take long.
Old 01-29-20, 12:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The simplest thing for any workout is 15g flavored whey protein, 20g natural sugar, 3-5g creatine dissolved in 10 oz. plain water. For long rides and workouts of say over 3 hours, 30g flavored whey protein, 40g natural sugar, 3-5g creatine dissolved in 20 oz. plain water. A shaker flask is a good idea, very cheap and practical. I've been using these recipes for decades. They work. Mix the after drink before you workout and leave it in the fridge or a cooler. If you have to drive home after a ride, bring along a bagel and cream cheese.

Another thing you can do is make a startup drink: 15g whey protein, 20g natural sugar in 10 oz. of water before any workout. If it's a shorter one, then you don't need an "after" drink, but then add the creatine to the startup drink.

This is a good example of a shaker flask: https://www.amazon.com/THERMOS-Shake.../dp/B01D6KDK52
Gram scale with tare: https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Gram-Di...dp/B06Y61YW7S/
Old 02-01-20, 04:32 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The simplest thing for any workout is 15g flavored whey protein, 20g natural sugar, 3-5g creatine dissolved in 10 oz. plain water. For long rides and workouts of say over 3 hours, 30g flavored whey protein, 40g natural sugar, 3-5g creatine dissolved in 20 oz. plain water.
Curious why the creatine?
Old 02-01-20, 10:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by srode1
Good question. Things have changed a bit, knowledge-wise. Plant-based diets have broken out of the fad category and gone mainstream. So there's been some new examination of research results such as:
https://www.ecowatch.com/protein-sou...644997495.html
Placing people on a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet for 26 days causes a significant decrease in muscle creatine
For creatine studies specifically, this and also studies in the sidebar:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12432177.

I've been on a ovo-lacto diet for 50+ years and have been supplementing with the 7 nutrients in the first link for 10+ years. Works.

The first thing I ever saw about endurance athletes using creatine was in a post by a CTS coach maybe 15 years ago. So that's when I started that supplement. The others followed gradually as I researched different things.

A female dinner guest last night commented on my biceps. Pretty funny Her husband was not amused. I'm not big, just a bit strong and a bit cut. My arms are ~13". It does feel good to be able to do anything I want at my age. Skiing's been good, though it's raining in the mountains today. We might flood.
Old 02-01-20, 11:59 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1

Creatine is supposed to be beneficial for short duration high intensity anaerobic efforts...A lot of research shows that it works " for some people and not for others"....Personally I stopped supplementing with creatine for a couple of months now and to be honest I don't notice any difference in my physical performance...People who are vegetarian will most likely notice the biggest difference .. I eat meat every day, so that may be one of the reasons why I don't notice any difference with creatine supplementation...I had the same experience with whey protein, it doesn't do anything special for me. After I stooped using whey powder I didn't notice any difference in my physical performance on a bike or in a gym, no difference in recovery and no difference in body composition...I now came to a conclusion that taking these supplements is just pissing money away. I prefer to spend my money on good food....The best post-ride recovery meal and drink is pizza and beer.
Old 02-01-20, 04:58 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Oh, and my essential post-ride/workout routine includes massaging my legs to tame the burn and soreness. I use a heavy marble rolling pin.
I have a "rolling pin style" hand roller designed specifically for use on the muscles. Its benefit has far exceeded my expectations. It works really great on all areas of the legs but especially the quads.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 02-01-20, 05:05 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Startup drink and end drink is the same. One pint of low-fat chocolate milk. It has hydration, (I drink water too before and after), it contains in each serving 300 calories that includes 42 grams of simple carbs and 22 grams of protein. My rides are all almost in the 25 to 50-mile range with the most common distance 30-35 miles.
Old 02-01-20, 06:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by BengalCat
I have a "rolling pin style" hand roller designed specifically for use on the muscles. Its benefit has far exceeded my expectations. It works really great on all areas of the legs but especially the quads.
Yup, the rolling pin is the best thing I've found for the quads and calves, post ride or workout. I forgot to use it after Friday's ride and can feel it today -- legs are stiff. I'll do an easy spin on the trainer, roll 'em out afterward, and hopefully be in shape for a Sunday ride. First warm day in weeks, supposed to be in the 70s, so it'll be nice not having to layer up since it'll also be very windy.
Old 02-01-20, 06:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Regarding creatine, it's already in some meats (beef, at least). So the supplement might be superfluous to some diets. It's already added to the whey protein powder mix I use.

I was skeptical but creatine is among the few supplements that have given me a definite improvement. Besides the single burst of strength claimed by weightlifters, it also helps me with short, maximum efforts on the bike -- sprints and sprint-climbs. We have few long climbs so most are taken as sprints. I find I can hold that maximum effort a bit longer and recover more quickly between efforts. Helps with HIIT too.

And most research indicates it's generally harmless -- some users, including a friend, report kidney and bladder problems, but that's usually due to dehydration. Creatine demands more water intake, and it's easy to both under- and over-estimate the right amount of water. When I first started using creatine I erred toward over-hydration. On my first couple of bike rides after using creatine, after the first hour I had to stop every 15 minutes to pee. And I'd wake every two hours to urinate.

So now I use about 5-8 grams per 24 oz water bottle.That seems to be my sweet spot for balanced hydration without risking dehydration or drinking so much that I'm up all night.

Some fitness advisers claim most people can consume more creatine without problems. Occasionally on hard workout days, about once a week, I'll combine a bike ride or trainer session with full body workout and will double my usual creatine intake. No problems. But I don't do that every day or every bike ride. Just on full body workout days.

The only other supplements I've tried, besides creatine, that have a definite impact are niacin, l-arginine, magnesium lactate, and ecdysterone. The latter is currently legal but difficult to find. Most supplements claimed to supply ecdysterone are labeled as turkest, turkesterone, etc., named for the plant from which it's derived. I suspect the ecdysterone supplements that aren't specifically labeled as turkest or similar plant based source, are derived from the exoskeletons of shellfish or insects. Probably hard to market that sort of thing. Kinda like most BCAAs, which are generally chemically derived from slaughterhouse offal -- cartilage, connective tissue, hide, even animal hair. That tends to be off-putting to some consumers.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-01-20 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 08:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by canklecat
Regarding creatine, it's already in some meats (beef, at least). So the supplement might be superfluous to some diets. It's already added to the whey protein powder mix I use.

I was skeptical but creatine is among the few supplements that have given me a definite improvement. Besides the single burst of strength claimed by weightlifters, it also helps me with short, maximum efforts on the bike -- sprints and sprint-climbs. We have few long climbs so most are taken as sprints. I find I can hold that maximum effort a bit longer and recover more quickly between efforts. Helps with HIIT too.

And most research indicates it's generally harmless -- some users, including a friend, report kidney and bladder problems, but that's usually due to dehydration. Creatine demands more water intake, and it's easy to both under- and over-estimate the right amount of water. When I first started using creatine I erred toward over-hydration. On my first couple of bike rides after using creatine, after the first hour I had to stop every 15 minutes to pee. And I'd wake every two hours to urinate.

So now I use about 5-8 grams per 24 oz water bottle.That seems to be my sweet spot for balanced hydration without risking dehydration or drinking so much that I'm up all night.

Some fitness advisers claim most people can consume more creatine without problems. Occasionally on hard workout days, about once a week, I'll combine a bike ride or trainer session with full body workout and will double my usual creatine intake. No problems. But I don't do that every day or every bike ride. Just on full body workout days.

The only other supplements I've tried, besides creatine, that have a definite impact are niacin, l-arginine, magnesium lactate, and ecdysterone. The latter is currently legal but difficult to find. Most supplements claimed to supply ecdysterone are labeled as turkest, turkesterone, etc., named for the plant from which it's derived. I suspect the ecdysterone supplements that aren't specifically labeled as turkest or similar plant based source, are derived from the exoskeletons of shellfish or insects. Probably hard to market that sort of thing. Kinda like most BCAAs, which are generally chemically derived from slaughterhouse offal -- cartilage, connective tissue, hide, even animal hair. That tends to be off-putting to some consumers.
AFAIK, and as studies show, 3-5g/day is all one needs to max out muscle creatine levels. If one is just starting, one can "load" for a week, but that's not even necessary, it just takes a little longer to build it up. I never have altered my hydration w/r to creatine, nor has it caused any weight gain. I definitely noticed it on the hill sprints especially 10 years ago end earlier when I could outsprint everyone in our fast group.
Old 02-02-20, 05:04 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

I've used Creatine before but not for recovery, just as a supplement - I added weight as a result but it did make a strength difference. I quit using it because of the weight gain, never really compared sort interval cycling performance with it.
Old 05-02-20, 08:01 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Carmichael the CTS guy put up a post a few months ago recommending not using a recovery drink for efforts of less than 1500 kj. I've been doing that and I like it. Supplements can be taken any time of day.
Old 05-04-20, 08:54 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
+1 on the rolling pin recovery, I love it.

I drink a chocolate protein shake after a hard workout, just a scoop of chocolate flavoured protein powder, a scoop of peanut butter and some more cocoa so it tastes less like drinking chalk. I usually eat an orange afterwards too, gotta get that vitamin C.