Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for a high end road bike that can have fenders?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommendation for a high end road bike that can have fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20, 03:59 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Fenders are aerodynamic. Which is why you see them on racing motorcycles. Most important part is to have the front fender extend forward beyond a vertical line through front hub. That one feature is so positive it more than compensates for the very slight negative effects of the balance of fender. Very slight.

There is a big difference between fender squeezes in somehow and fenders mount and fit easily. The modern gravel/endurance bikes mostly allow squeezes in somehow. If you want well integrated fenders it is still mainly custom steel. Or antiques. If anyone knows of a modern that takes fenders easily and looks good doing it please post.
Old 05-31-20, 04:58 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Another option is to get the bike you want and use something like Topeak’s clipon fenders. It’s not a full fender, but look easy to take on and off and might be good enough for the conditions you expect.

Road fenders

Last edited by billridesbikes; 05-31-20 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-31-20, 06:25 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Rim or disk brakes have nothing to do with whether or not fenders can go on.

you got some good ideas already, but I have a question, what do you want to do with your bike? I mean do you want to tour with it someday? is it only a commuter bike? a gravel bike? you want a faster racing bike?
Old 05-31-20, 09:39 PM
noOriginalNames

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane, Cervelo C Series can all accommodate fenders and come with varying qualities of carbon and di2 in their different builds. Find some shops and start test riding.
Likes For noOriginalNames:
Old 06-01-20, 11:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Fenders are aerodynamic. Which is why you see them on racing motorcycles. Most important part is to have the front fender extend forward beyond a vertical line through front hub. That one feature is so positive it more than compensates for the very slight negative effects of the balance of fender. Very slight.

There is a big difference between fender squeezes in somehow and fenders mount and fit easily. The modern gravel/endurance bikes mostly allow squeezes in somehow. If you want well integrated fenders it is still mainly custom steel. Or antiques. If anyone knows of a modern that takes fenders easily and looks good doing it please post.
Here are plastic Bontrager full-coverage 45c fenders on Domane. Look pretty good to me, although there is no coverage for the front derailleur.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-01-20, 12:51 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycle126312
What I mean by "high end road bike" is a light bike with a carbon frame, ultegra groupset and Di2. Preferably an aero bike, despite this being mostly ruined by the presence of the fenders, this is the reality of using a racing bike as a commuter.
The Synapse would suit your needs quite well. Clearance for 32s, fender mounts, Ultegra Di2, and a carbon frame.

Likes For Ross520:
Old 06-01-20, 04:26 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Here are plastic Bontrager full-coverage 45c fenders on Domane. Look pretty good to me, although there is no coverage for the front derailleur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ZXzKwAALw
What you are calling no coverage for front derailleur means there will be a firehose of water headed for rider’s feet and into the chain. More water at those points than if riding w/o fenders.

Those fender stays are clumsy, clunky, ugly.

Your example does count as proof of concept. Looks like a Domane could take real fenders.
Old 06-01-20, 05:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
If you ride the fast group weekends with your daily commuter bike, then be super good and regular at MAINTENANCE.

and 2nd wheelset for fast is a good recommendation.
Old 06-01-20, 05:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
The Synapse would suit your needs quite well. Clearance for 32s, fender mounts, Ultegra Di2, and a carbon frame.
Absolutely gorgeous, and a likely one bike solution. MSRP = $7,000

The 2 bike solution can certainly beat that for value.
As an example, and many more can be found: Fast carbon, checking Di2/disc/lightweight boxes.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...-di2/2094.html MSRP = $5000.
Leaving a lot of $$$ for a reliable commuter, with commuter friendly features & geometry, even if the Cannondale can be purchased for $6,000
Old 06-01-20, 05:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by 63rickert
What you are calling no coverage for front derailleur means there will be a firehose of water headed for rider’s feet and into the chain. More water at those points than if riding w/o fenders.

Those fender stays are clumsy, clunky, ugly.

Your example does count as proof of concept. Looks like a Domane could take real fenders.
The stays are very ugly, but again, the setup looks fine to me, even though it's not the best looking fender job ever. I wonder if the absence of front mech protection is somewhat obviated by the wide seat tube? It would be better to have the coverage-- which is why I pointed it out-- but the fenders will still make riding in the wet much more comfortable even without it, and I bet the OP and others would happily accept the tradeoffs of such a setup over a "fully integrated" fender setup in order to be able to use their CF race bike comfortably for their commute. Compromise is not a bad thing!

Personally, I'd probably prefer to fit the RoadRacer Mk3s-- which I posted a pic of upthread on my Racelight-- to that Domane rather than the Bontrager NCS units, but my needs call for frequent removal/installation, and my club ride demands are something different than the demands of a commuter. I'm fortunate to have the ability to keep multiple bikes, though, two of which are earmarked for commute/utility duty and which have fixed, full coverage fenders. Having many tools for any given job is great, but the job still needs done even if you have only one tool, so get it done the best you can, that's my approach.
Old 06-01-20, 05:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Wildwood

As an example, and many more can be found: Fast carbon, checking Di2/disc/lightweight boxes.
Leaving a lot of $$$ for a reliable commuter, with commuter friendly features & geometry, even if the Cannondale can be purchased for $6,000
Don't forget that money is not the only factor; space is a big one, both for storing and managing the two bikes, but also for the gear associated with each bike. Yeah, you could ride the same shoes and pedal for the commuter as for the race bike, but you probably won't...then you find yourself with different tires and tubes, tools and lubes, helmets and gloves...I find stuff piles up all over the place! I've been lucky to not have to live in an apartment aside from 1 year in whole life (excepting, again, that freshman year in the dorms at university), and if I had to live in something like a common, tiny, garden level flat in Manhattan, there's no way I'd have a fleet of bikes.
Old 06-01-20, 05:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

And not to bogart the thread, but one more thing... If push came to shove and the bike I really wanted didn't have any way to fit any of the above fenders, say for example, a 3T Strada Due, I'd run some QuickGuards quick-fast and get on with my ride-life.

https://www.bicyclequickguard.co.uk/...uard-mudguard/
Old 06-01-20, 05:58 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
The Bontrager NCS fender stays may look ugly to some of the more armchair judgmental types, but they're so freaking easy to install compared to every other fender set I've had the displeasure of mounting (SKS, Planet Bike, Crud, official fenders)! Front and rear coverage of the NCS on one of my bikes is almost identical to the coverage of Planet Bike Cascadias on another.

I've used the Mk3 Roadracers before but ditched them for real fenders because they can still be a pain to deal with, but they're light and need less clearance to fit, so they've got that going for them.
Old 06-01-20, 06:13 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I would just buy any high end bike that I wanted and use SKS Raceblades (https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...ceblade-serie/). Topeak have road defenders (https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ender--r1---r2) and there are some very cool offerings from UK companies (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kr/en/mudguards), in that mudguards or fenders are much more common on UK road bikes.

Don't stress on finding a high end carbon bike with fender mounts; look for fenders that fit onto high end carbon bikes.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 06-01-20, 07:09 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

OP is looking for a bike with a hydraulic, electronic groupset and a carbon frame...

I don’t think money is an issue.
Old 06-01-20, 07:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by surak

I've used the Mk3 Roadracers before but ditched them for real fenders because they can still be a pain to deal with, but they're light and need less clearance to fit, so they've got that going for them.
When properly fitted, they also have the fact they work really well going for them, too. It’s true they don’t fit all bikes, and that some fitments will be marginal, particularly for the rear, so it pays to know how the RRs mount and to assess the appropriateness of the seatstays. I had one bike for which I needed to trim the end of the (Mk2) fender to achieve successful fitment, so perhaps stuff like that could still be an issue with some
frames and the Mk3s, but I’ve not experienced that with my rather
more traditional, diamond frame applications.
Old 06-02-20, 02:43 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...?f=10&t=148608

Thread from 2017on of a BMC Roadmachine 02 carbon with fenders.

Unfortunately the awesome pics of the build have gone. Reading the thread could help OP though.
Old 06-02-20, 01:47 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The Bontrager NCS fender stays may look ugly to some of the more armchair judgmental types, but they're so freaking easy to install compared to every other fender set I've had the displeasure of mounting (SKS, Planet Bike, Crud, official fenders)! Front and rear coverage of the NCS on one of my bikes is almost identical to the coverage of Planet Bike Cascadias on another.

Thanks for that reference. I looked these up and ordered a set. I've got a weird bike; it's a Day 6 Cyclone with discs, and the fender eyelets front and rear are forward of the brakes, so the ordinary fenders with fixed-length stays can't fit at all. I'll still need spacers for the stays, but this should be nice. The fenders I had to default to are only fastened in one place, and worse, they're too short and I get splattered.

Yeah, these are a bit weird-looking, but so's the rest of the bike, lol!
Old 06-02-20, 03:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Classic British ... Mercian?
Old 06-03-20, 05:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by rollagain
Thanks for that reference. I looked these up and ordered a set. I've got a weird bike; it's a Day 6 Cyclone with discs, and the fender eyelets front and rear are forward of the brakes, so the ordinary fenders with fixed-length stays can't fit at all. I'll still need spacers for the stays, but this should be nice. The fenders I had to default to are only fastened in one place, and worse, they're too short and I get splattered.

Yeah, these are a bit weird-looking, but so's the rest of the bike, lol!
If you’re running the stock Cyclone with 26” wheels and 2” tires, NCS are not going to fit at all.

Most aftermarket fenders have fixed-length stays, but effective length is adjustable at the fender, in some cases requiring trimming if the extend too far beyond the fender after being adjusted.

In other words, there is no difference between Bontrager NCS (no-cut stays) and most other fender sets in terms of ability to be fitted, other than the novel NCS adjustment method.
Old 06-03-20, 09:18 AM
Midou
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot
Old 06-03-20, 12:00 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

If you’re running the stock Cyclone with 26” wheels and 2” tires, NCS are not going to fit at all.

Most aftermarket fenders have fixed-length stays, but effective length is adjustable at the fender, in some cases requiring trimming if the extend too far beyond the fender after being adjusted.

In other words, there is no difference between Bontrager NCS (no-cut stays) and most other fender sets in terms of ability to be fitted, other than the novel NCS adjustment method.
The problem I encountered before wasn't with the length of the fender stays, it was that the eyelets weren't accessible due to the body of the disc brake being in the way. The spacers should take care of that. I've seen photos of other Day 6 bikes with rim brakes and the conventional fender sets worked fine on them.

Anyway, if it doesn't work I can drop them off at any Trek dealer for a refund with no return shipping expense.
Old 06-03-20, 01:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

The problem I encountered before wasn't with the length of the fender stays, it was that the eyelets weren't accessible due to the body of the disc brake being in the way. The spacers should take care of that. I've seen photos of other Day 6 bikes with rim brakes and the conventional fender sets worked fine on them.

Anyway, if it doesn't work I can drop them off at any Trek dealer for a refund with no return shipping expense.
I don’t understand your approach. NCS fenders are 35mm wide in their widest size, and you’re running 2.1” tires (53mm)... the numbers indicate the tires are wider than the fender, the effect of which is pretty obvious.
Old 06-03-20, 02:12 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

I don’t understand your approach. NCS fenders are 35mm wide in their widest size, and you’re running 2.1” tires (53mm)... the numbers indicate the tires are wider than the fender, the effect of which is pretty obvious.
This is what I ordered.
Old 06-03-20, 02:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

This is what I ordered.
Oh! Pffft...I didn’t see that sizing option! I was looking only at the yellow ones, which I guess are one size only. You should be good then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.