Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Tacx Neo 2T question

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Tacx Neo 2T question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20, 04:03 PM
weez58

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tacx Neo 2T question

I recently purchased a Tacx Neo 2T. I've been using it with Zwift and love it. I thought I would occasionally use it for Peloton classes. But....If I get out of the saddle anything less than 500 watts of resistance it clunks on every stroke. If I maintain a perfect power application all the way around the stroke its ok. Anything less than a perfect circle and it clunks. Its like it freewheels for a fraction of a second and then catches. Are any of you Neo owners experiencing this?
Old 05-31-20, 04:37 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Indoor Sprinting

I have the same setup as you. First make sure your rear skewer is in good and tight and the clunking is not the fame about to come loose, I have made that mistake before. Otherwise indoor sprinting technique is a little different than outdoors and you don’t want to try to swing the bike side to side.

Shane Miller has a good video explaining this

Old 05-31-20, 04:54 PM
weez58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. To be clear, I'm not talking about jumping out of the saddle and doing a full effort sprint. I'm having this happen anytime I stand up. Even if I'm just standing up at a casual pace. Are you able to do that and have it behave normally?
Old 05-31-20, 07:58 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
No, only when I’ve laid down some power and the rear QR wasn’t tight enough.
Old 06-01-20, 09:07 AM
rsjrv99

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have you upgraded the firmware to 0.34 using the Tacx Utility?
Old 06-01-20, 12:21 PM
weez58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsjrv99
Have you upgraded the firmware to 0.34 using the Tacx Utility?
Yes I did last week.

Are you able to casually stand up and pedal smoothly? Not a sprint or a major effort, just standing and pedalling. If I'm on a 10% climb its fine. Anything less and its clunky.
Old 06-01-20, 12:46 PM
rsjrv99

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by weez58
Yes I did last week.

Are you able to casually stand up and pedal smoothly? Not a sprint or a major effort, just standing and pedalling. If I'm on a 10% climb its fine. Anything less and its clunky.
I have had no issues with the Neo 2t. Is it slipping, or are you feeling something similar to the virtual sensation (cobblestones)?
Old 06-01-20, 01:01 PM
weez58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had no issues with the Neo 2t. Is it slipping, or are you feeling something similar to the virtual sensation (cobblestones)?
Its like it freewheels for a fraction of a second and then catches hard. Like if you were coasting on the road and hammered the pedals. It seems to happen as each pedal comes over the top of the stroke. I've read about the "virtual slip" issue and I don't think that is whats happening.

I'm still trying to get answer from Garmin/Tacx. The last feedback was to update the firmware and add more resistance. It even clunks climbing at 8%...
Old 06-01-20, 01:07 PM
rsjrv99

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by weez58
Its like it freewheels for a fraction of a second and then catches hard. Like if you were coasting on the road and hammered the pedals. It seems to happen as each pedal comes over the top of the stroke. I've read about the "virtual slip" issue and I don't think that is whats happening.

I'm still trying to get answer from Garmin/Tacx. The last feedback was to update the firmware and add more resistance. It even clunks climbing at 8%...
Unfortunately it sounds like something is wrong and i'm not sure anyone but Tacx will be able to sort this out. I have not had this experience nor anything unusual really. Sorry to hear you're having this experience, the Neo 2t is truly awesome and well worth the money. I hope you get this sorted out

Maybe you could do some diagnostics through the Tacx utility under "Testing Dashboard" and see if you can find anything reporting unusual. Turn on/off roadfeel, isokinetic, isotonic, pedal hard/soft, etc
Old 06-01-20, 01:24 PM
weez58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like something is wrong and i'm not sure anyone but Tacx will be able to sort this out. I have not had this experience nor anything unusual really. Sorry to hear you're having this experience, the Neo 2t is truly awesome and well worth the money. I hope you get this sorted out

Maybe you could do some diagnostics through the Tacx utility under "Testing Dashboard" and see if you can find anything reporting unusual. Turn on/off roadfeel, isokinetic, isotonic, pedal hard/soft, etc
Thanks for your input! Part of my reason for posting this is to hear from other Neo 2T owners and make sure that I'm not expecting the impossible. I'll take a look at the settings in the utility app and see what I can find.
Old 06-07-20, 07:40 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I have the same trainer and I am not experiencing the clunk that you have here.

When I had a problem with a sound I could not figure out, (non-trainer releated) I made a YouTube video with the sound and posted it here. You can post links after 10 posts. A few people were able to diagnose my problem and the answer was nothing I had even considered before.

It might help if you did the same. Good luck.