Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn High Plains

Old 02-03-20, 05:33 PM
Natomashomeboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Schwinn High Plains

I was hoping for any insight as to how much this 90ís Schwinn high plains is worth, any help, would be appreciated. A little background on this is that I inherited this 15 + years ago and itís been in the back of my garage since we have newer bikes.

I understand this may be considered vintage , it is all original except for the seat and the tires had been replaced and are in excellent shape with plenty of tread and no cracking or rotting. I aired it up and rode it yesterday and it rides ,brakes and changed gears perfectly. ( *missing head badge)

anyway , how much is it worth?

Old 02-03-20, 06:05 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 569 Posts
Very clean bike but it's lower end and needs work to be rideable. Any bike this old needs some parts replaced and an overhaul. Vintage MTBs aren't worth a lot. I'd peg it around $75-$125 as it sits.
Old 02-03-20, 10:46 PM
katsup

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter & Vintage Mountain Bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 135 Posts
With those handlebars, I'd say $80, higher with normal handlebars. It is a nice color and it's clean, but it is not very sought after due to being lower end. It is best used as a rider.
Old 02-15-20, 02:44 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 244 Posts
I have a 90 HP Schwinn as well. Got it about 8 years ago. Good condition for 70 if I remember correctly. The components work but 200GS are considered low low. Not a selling point at all. The real value is the full lugged, butted frame which is special painted and hand drizzled spider web like paint. Schwinn says” no two are alike”.

Built with nicer parts, it is a great platform for different styles of riding.
Old 02-17-20, 04:49 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 425 Posts
+1 all of the above; remarkably clean, but a cheap-ish bike to start with. TrueTemper CrMo tubing is good quality, but _usually_, if it's butted, the sticker indicates it. A few other interesting observations regarding the value.

Most 200GS I've seen have riveted chainrings. The bolt-ons on this bike are a plus (albeit a minor one).

Get that Roadmaster saddle off. Nothing says "disposable bike" like the name "Roadmaster". While you're at it, look for a seat post with a single bolt underneath, like you see on even slightly higher-end bikes. Together with a replacement saddle, that will increase the curb appeal.

Take care of that rust on the water bottle braze-on. De-rust process and some Testors gloss black should do it. But also, open up the bike (seat post, BB, fork), and check for rust inside the frame. Consider shooting some Fluid Film or the like (the slightly pricey bike-specific product is called Frame Saver) inside the tubes.

Carefully remove the kickstand and check for damage to the stays. LBS installers are, uh, known either to overtighten them, crimping the stays, or under-tighten them, resulting in movement that scratches the finish. If you're selling the bike, consider leaving the kickstand off and letting the buyer decide whether to re-install it.