Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike came in...very happy..questions for longer distances

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike came in...very happy..questions for longer distances

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 03:14 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
At the risk of beating a dead horse, I do think this sentiment is misguided. Since when does wearing a bike jersey turn one into a "Tour de France wannabe"? We are talking about a bike jersey, not matching pro replica kit, (not that there is anything wrong with that if you are a fan of a particular rider or pro team).
Every activity has a certain uniform, or look. Runners don't wear golf shoes, and golfers don't wear trainers. At least most don't. And basketball players don't play in hiking boots. And finally, nobody who wears a replica LeBron jersey is called a LeBron wannabe, even if that person never steps on a basketball court. But somehow, a road cyclist who wears a bike jersey is some kind of poseur? Why?
Cycling jerseys are built with performance in mind, and it really doesn't matter if you are a pro racer or a weekend club rider. True, wearing an aero jersey probably won't make you any faster. It is useful to have back pockets to hold your stuff, and a front zipper for easy on and off, and temperature regulation when it gets hot.
All that said, it is true. You can get by wearing just about anything. But except for reverse snobs, I think most people come around to wearing the proper attire for the activity eventually..
Any ideas other than full kit?
I've raced for years and wear the kit cuz it's fast, it's got pockets, it wicks...
But dammit the roadie "look" is ugly to me and I still feel kinda like a dweeb in it even after all these years. Also it's a royal pain to gather all the parts and put on compared to pants, shirt, and hoodie. Lately I've been doing shorter social rides (less than ~35 miles with a few stops to hang out) in cycling jeans, wicking base layer and hoodie. And backpack. Much easier, I don't look as goofy, but it's also slower and less comfortable. I wonder if there's some in between stuff that is more functional than street wear, but doesn't have the roadie look.
Old 05-18-20, 03:42 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I've raced for years and wear the kit cuz it's fast, it's got pockets, it wicks...
But dammit the roadie "look" is ugly to me and I still feel kinda like a dweeb in it even after all these years. Also it's a royal pain to gather all the parts and put on compared to pants, shirt, and hoodie. Lately I've been doing shorter social rides (less than ~35 miles with a few stops to hang out) in cycling jeans, wicking base layer and hoodie. And backpack. Much easier, I don't look as goofy, but it's also slower and less comfortable. I wonder if there's some in between stuff that is more functional than street wear, but doesn't have the roadie look.
Just go with a base layer, club fit jersey and basic black cycling shorts. There are alternatives. I bought my son a cycling shirt that looks like a basic button down but is really a stealthy windbreaker. Wear a long sleeve base layer underneath, and some thermal tights under a pair of pants and you are good to go fora ride in cool weather and show up at your destination in street looking clothes.
Old 05-19-20, 09:29 AM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
for road riding, I carry tubes (2), quick stick, park multitool,co2 inflator, cartriges, and boot in a smallish saddle bag. I never use a camelback on the road. I sometimes stuff a rain cape, arm warmers or leg warmers in a jersey pocket—weather dependent. I have 2 water bottle cages and that holds enough water for 3 hrs usually.

for commuting, i use a backpack to hold all the tools listed above plus a folding tire because if i’m running late i can change out everything and figure out where the flat came from some other time.

for snow biking/mtnbiking, i carry most everything everything listed for road riding in a medium sized saddle bag plus a small pump. I only carry a single tube, but almost never use it because i run my mtn bikes tubeless and lots of times the just “burp” out air and need a little squeeze from the pump.
Old 05-19-20, 11:14 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
MTB shorts?
Old 05-19-20, 03:03 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
MTB shorts?
Wow I just googled this... do they have padding? And normal amount of bagginess? I may try these out. Also maybe just add a small frame bag so I can skip the jersey. I mean a little extra drag never hurt anyone except in an actual race.
Old 05-19-20, 03:33 PM
lykbutta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Wow I just googled this... do they have padding? And normal amount of bagginess? I may try these out. Also maybe just add a small frame bag so I can skip the jersey. I mean a little extra drag never hurt anyone except in an actual race.
MTB shorts is what I originally got and I paid a good amount for them. I do like the style and I’m not breaking any path records here so stuck with them. I like the style. Yes, the liner is inside the shorts
Old 05-19-20, 05:17 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I rode an unsupported 300k on Saturday with 5.5l of water on the bike (2x1l bottles on the frame, a 1l platypus in the saddle bag and a 2.5l camelback). I had some water leftover, so I think I can finish a 400k If I add another bottle under the downtube and 2 more bottles in a handlebar bag which would be a little over 7l on the bike. I'm also considering a wolf tooth b-rad double bottle setup which would get me another 1.5l. for a total of 8.5l on the bike.
Likes For kingston:
Old 05-19-20, 11:18 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
You can get shorts with build-in padded liners or unlined shorts where you buy the padded inners separately. Endura makes both styles, if i remember correctly.

There also was a Spanish brand that made very nice polo shirts and regular shorts designed for cycling - the polo shirts had a well-concealed rear zip pocket where you could stuff a few things, and the shorts looked like regular shorts but the crotch stitching didnt have the seam right in the middle and so was a lot comfier than regular shorts (and you could also wear padded shorts underneath). I cant remember the name but if it comes to me, i will post it here.

(I cant believe i am helping a Road Brother stray so far from the Path of Righteousness... may Merckx forgive me my transgressions).