Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Bakersfield area riders chime in! <safe routes, if there is such a thing>

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 07-01-20, 03:58 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm going to be in Bakersfield for a few days and want to do some riding from my hotel on Buck Owens, between the Kern River to the south, 99 to the west and 998 to the east. There's a little triangular pocket which doesn't seem to have any safe routes out, unless I hop in my car, with bike, and park somewhere else.
Going N on Buck Owens leads me to some freeway/highway onramps that look like I'd be taking my life into my own hands, on a bike.
Going W to Gilman rd, eventually leading to 58 (Stockdale Hwy) isn't much better... No space for a bike, just a carcentric idea borne from Los Angeles.
Going S, Buck Owens to making a left onto 58 isn't much better... some space, but then it's got some dangerous merges. Another way to die.

There's a nice 40 mile loop not too far away (Round Mountain Rd), and a multi-use path along the river, but in order to get there safely, you have to drive your car to them, because nothing is conducive to riding a bike there.. You'll die.

So, short of driving my car to ride my bike, are there good parking facilities to use, so I can get my 40 mile round trip fix in? I'd rather ride there, but considering where my stay location is, it doesn't seem possible. All options are dangerous.

Feedback? Stuff I missed? I'm all ears.
Old 07-02-20, 05:12 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
have only driven there. unaware of any sweet road routes in the area unless you're heading east toward the sierras. have attempted to scope
out a tehachapi mtns ride or two but, without scouting/groundtruthing it personally, can't advise.

closest stuff i can personally recommend is about a 40 min se drive away. wind wolves preserve and carrizo plain national monument are both awesome.
have ridden '23's and '28's in both and have gotten away with it. you'll want at least '28's and probably '32's (or more) for either. mostly hard-packed dirt/light gravel with some pavement
at the start/finish. super scenic with the greenery/flowers in spring. haven't ridden either in summer.
Old 07-03-20, 05:33 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Simple Answer: Switch Hotels

That took care of the problem. When you can't circumvent danger and death wishes no matter which way you turn, you find another hotel where to get where you want to go, without having to take death risks.
Hint: Stay south of the Kern River, east of 998 loop, and 99. You have places to cross the Kern river.
It certainly surprising the lack of an infrastructure, considering the amount of bikeable road south of the river.