Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

WTB Raddler and tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 10:11 AM
NovaLazy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTB Raddler and tubes

Hi all, I've a Cannondale Topstone Sora which is awesome. It isn't tubeless. For absurd aesthetic reasons (like using a tan walled tyre), could I put on TCS ready tyres (like WTB Radler 40's) on the non-tubeless trims and then run it with tubes? i.e same set up just with TCS ready tyres.

Ta
Old 07-02-20, 02:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by NovaLazy
Hi all, I've a Cannondale Topstone Sora which is awesome. It isn't tubeless. For absurd aesthetic reasons (like using a tan walled tyre), could I put on TCS ready tyres (like WTB Radler 40's) on the non-tubeless trims and then run it with tubes? i.e same set up just with TCS ready tyres.

Ta
Yes, you can run tubeless tires on a regular rim with a tube.

I would recommend Gravel Kings as an alternative. If you peruse the Cannondale Topstone FaceBook group, a lot of folks complain about the WTB Riddlers being very vulnerable to flats from thorns, etc.... The Gravel Kings are highly recommended as an alternative. The 43mm will fit.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...e?fltr=&sg=500
Old 07-02-20, 02:45 PM
NovaLazy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-02-20, 04:15 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, you can run tubeless tires on a regular rim with a tube.

I would recommend Gravel Kings as an alternative. If you peruse the Cannondale Topstone FaceBook group, a lot of folks complain about the WTB Riddlers being very vulnerable to flats from thorns, etc.... The Gravel Kings are highly recommended as an alternative. The 43mm will fit.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...e?fltr=&sg=500
I think OP was asking about the Raddlers, not the Riddlers. I say that bc the Raddlers have taller knobs closer to the Gravelking SKs. (WTB, why did you name your tires like this?!).

Another alternative would be the Teravail Rutlands. I run the 700 x 47mm versions but they do come in a 38/42 mm also.
Old 07-02-20, 04:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
I think OP was asking about the Raddlers, not the Riddlers. I say that bc the Raddlers have taller knobs closer to the Gravelking SKs. (WTB, why did you name your tires like this?!).

Another alternative would be the Teravail Rutlands. I run the 700 x 47mm versions but they do come in a 38/42 mm also.
Yeah, see that, I though it was a typo as the OEM's are Riddlers and I've seen folks move up to the 43mm Riddler, which I did on my Topstone aluminum, and they do fit, but not likely anything larger.

Apologies to the OP, but I do see a lot of folks recommend the Gravel Kings.
Old 07-04-20, 03:46 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I just had a similar dilemma - I have a Cross Check that I intend to keep tubed (my Rove is tubeless and it's great, but I don't feel the need to go there on the 'Check for various reasons). My concern was that I kept getting the impression that many tubeless-ready tires would be hard to mount on my non-tubeless rims because of how tight they fit (or at least hard enough to mount that fixing a flat on the trail could be a real drag). So I ended up ordering Nano Comps - the tubed variety. Hopefully it won't be a struggle . . .
Old 07-05-20, 07:56 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
In my experience, I have had zero issues mounting tubeless-ready tires to non-tubeless ready rims. The way most non-tubeless rims are designed generally make mounting any tire straightforward if you're using the correct sized inner tubes (sizing down slightly on the inner tube will make mounting easier).