Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cycling while pregnant

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

cycling while pregnant

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 07:45 PM
fredward

Bikes: bianchi trofeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cycling while pregnant

i'm 15 weeks pregnant now and i've heard that i shouldn't be cycling. i asked my mom about it (mother of 9, so i though she would know something about being prego) and she told me that in her second pregnancy she rode all the way up to 8 months with her first kid strapped to a baby seat on the back. different time i guess. i'm going back to my doc week after next and i'll take her advice on the matter, but i was kinda wondering what your opinions are.
Old 04-05-11, 07:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's a good non weight bearing form of exercise..
Old 04-05-11, 09:42 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who said you shouldn't be cycling? just don't go too hard. And obviously, it'll be harder when you get bigger. Of course, there is the risk of accident...but the same goes for cars and pregnant women drive all the time!
Old 04-05-11, 09:45 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the spin teachers at my gym taught class until 4 days before she had her baby. She couldn't get her heart rate too high and her legs were bumping against her stomach, but her baby was fine.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 04-06-11, 03:20 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
My partner some cycled through her two pregnancies - not overly strenuous - a comfortable touring riding pace.
Look at the Copenhagen Cycle Chic blog, I think there is a link to pregnant cycling.
ps - her first OB clinician suggested two contradictory things about this - one comment was if you exercised normally before pregnancy, continue within limits during pregnancy. [my partner cycled before pregnancy]. clinician didn't seem to be hugely in favor of cycling.

Last edited by martianone; 04-06-11 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 07:49 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
My wife was in a vigorous dance class until about 8 months ...... cycling seems pretty mellow in comparison.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-06-11, 10:31 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I knew a lady who was a really strong rider. She rode whilst pregnant. She was told by her physician to avoid running a really high heart rate.

But I think it depends. Some people have a much harder time in pregnancy. I have known ladies who were nearly bedridden for the last couple of months. I know other ladies who were able to do pretty much what they wanted to do.

It seems to be a pretty individual thing.
Old 04-06-11, 11:08 AM
dchsueh

Bikes: 2010 Globe Live 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently reading John Medina "Brain Rules for Baby" and the chapter on pregnancy says:

- fit mothers tend to give birth to smarter babies
- strenuous exercise is counterproductive as the womb can overheat (can affect brain and eye development) and mommy's blood is diverted away from the kid (less oxygen for growing brain) and to her muscles instead
- he recommends swimming as an ideal activity as heat is easily carried away from the womb
- he writes that fit women push less and experience less pain
- mentions general guidelines: for most women, not to exceed 70% max heart rate and to slow down as as the due date approaches
- mentions the American College of Obstreticians recommends 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise per day

I am not an obstetrician. Follow your doctor's advice which will be specific to your circumstances, but the general feeling I get from reading the book is that exercise is very beneficial for both mother and child.
Old 04-06-11, 12:07 PM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This came up in the case of a woman who taught a spin class I was in.

She was an extremely thin, fit woman who seemed to have more energy than everyone in the spin class put together. The class was three times a week and she was always the one teaching the class. A few weeks of this went by and then I began learning things about her from various people who ran and owned the health club. I learned that she was in the beginning stages of her pregnancy. Then I learned that she was teaching spin classes other than the ones I went to. Some time later, someone began replacing her in the spin classes I took. Finally, I found out from someone who ran the health club that she was ordered to take time off in the interest of her and her developing baby's health.

I described this as I just did to my mother who is a nurse by profession. She said that bicycling while pregnan isn't good for the mother's or the baby's health. Perhaps there are women out there who continued to bicycle and didn't have any ill effects. I hope no bad results happened to their children, either.

Last edited by powerhouse; 04-06-11 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 05:34 AM
Boye

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife cycled 20 km's on the very day she gave birth. On an upright bike and in an easy pace, but still. Just don't crash, and cycling is a way of exercise very easy on your body.

And yes, we do live in Copenhagen...
Old 04-07-11, 08:35 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
fredward, It just has to depend on how well your pregnancy is progressing and what your physician tells you. Both of my daughters had issues during their first pregnancy that would have kept them off a bike. Their second pregnancy is progressing wonderfully, so far. As a side note, they've been pregnant at the same time, within a month of each other for both pregnancies.

The issues during their first pregnancy were unexpected as both are athletic and both are in very good physical condition.

Brad