Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Getting the right hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Getting the right hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 03:11 AM
tractorman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Getting the right hybrid

I have been riding a MTB for a few years, but I am getting older (60) and am looking for something lighter, and easier to pedal. I live in central British Columbia with more gravel roads than paved and need something that will do both. It has to handle some back roads, be able to negotiate the hills without wearing me out and also be able to make some time up on the smooth pavement. I am doing this mostly for fitness and enjoyment. I am in good shape and still want to access the fishing holes 10 to 20 miles from where I live without having to take the car over these roads.

I have done some reading and I am presently looking at the Scott Sportster and the Fuji Sunfire. This is all new territory for me. Any suggestions in $600 to $850 range would be helpful.

Last edited by tractorman; 06-03-11 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-03-11, 05:27 AM
mjwithtwins

Bikes: 2011 Trek Utopia, 1999 Klein Quantum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trek has a dual sport line it adopted from Gary Fisher that is worth looking at. The Kaitai and Utopia from that line are very popular and fit into your price range. I am a new Utopia owner and I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-03-11, 07:21 AM
tractorman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjwithtwins
trek has a dual sport line it adopted from Gary Fisher that is worth looking at. The Kaitai and Utopia from that line are very popular and fit into your price range. I am a new Utopia owner and I couldn't be happier.
Yes, I understand the Trek has a good distribution network as well. I am in Germany right now and will be returning home. It will be interesting to see what is available in the bike shops. The two I am thinking do not appear to be listed when I checked out the web sites in the Vancouver area.