Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Bike Friday pakiT - Mostly Good/Some Bad

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 12:51 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

After a 3 month wait, finally got my first Bike Friday, 2017 pakiT. Factory seemed to have gotten everything I checked off right; 8 speed der., 165 mm cranks, etc. Not too happy with the chain rubbing the rear triangle when in the smallest rear cog. Extra mount by the rear caliper seems too close to the tire. Currently running Kojaks; I'm afraid Marathons might rub - we'll see. Lots of grease applied to seatmast; making it slip. Bike rides fine otherwise. Have a Revelate Designs large Sweetroll Bag on the way. Will probably upgrade to 10 speed when chain & cassette wears out. What mods/upgrades have owners done? Last thing; my dealer(BFold of NYC) is great. Always responded to my concerns/question. Bike Friday's treatment to me has been poor; no reply to any of my queries.
2017 Bike Friday pakiT by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 09-20-17, 12:56 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Congrats. Looking forward to more updates as you ride the bike more.

Really surprised by BF's ghosting of you. I thought part of the premium price was the personalized customer service? You're lucky you have a local BF dealer--wish there was one around here. BF Pakit is one of the bikes on my mind.
Old 09-20-17, 01:00 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
After a 3 month wait, finally got my first Bike Friday, 2017 pakiT. Factory seemed to have gotten everything I checked off right; 8 speed der., 165 mm cranks, etc. Not too happy with the chain rubbing the rear triangle when in the smallest rear cog. Extra mount by the rear caliper seems too close to the tire. Currently running Kojaks; I'm afraid Marathons might rub - we'll see. Lots of grease applied to seatmast; making it slip. Bike rides fine otherwise. Have a Revelate Designs large Sweetroll Bag on the way. Will probably upgrade to 10 speed when chain & cassette wears out. What mods/upgrades have owners done? Last thing; my dealer(BFold of NYC) is great. Always responded to my concerns/question. Bike Friday's treatment to me has been poor; no reply to any of my queries.
2017 Bike Friday pakiT by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Call BF and find out if you're getting dropped in the Spam folder. They're usually very good about responding to emails.
Old 09-20-17, 03:13 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 191 Posts
So the chain is rubbing the right "seatstay" (if you can call it that) in the smallest cog? Hmmm, wonder how we solve that one. Any chance the BB spindle is just a skootch too long and putting the chainring farther outboard than it should be?
Old 09-20-17, 03:41 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Their service is usually great. I find it takes 3-4 days to get an answer to a non-urgent email, but I have always received a response. Definitely call and ask what's up (I'm assuming you checked your spam folders just in case).
Old 09-20-17, 04:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tim Link is their service guy... I Call them on the Phone (they pay for an 800 line)

Mods? reads like you need a little washer added on the drive side (pull the axle out by loosening the Left side)

I have Ergon GR3 grip/barends on my Tikit, and my Brompton M3L
Old 09-21-17, 12:14 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Maybe I should have it the other way around; mostly bad/some good?
Before I placed my order; I was in email communication with a few folks there.
They were responding to my questions; Hannah, Andrew, Peter. After I placed
my order thru my local shop; no more replies to my emails. They came out with
titanium parts; can I have that in my model? They came out with a coupon code;
can I apply this to my order? Ignored, no response. I was this close -><- to
cancelling my order. Their only saving grace was that the local dealer; BFold
had strong customer service. If my lbs was also unresponsive; I would have
cancelled.

BFold is trying to straighten out my issues with Bike Friday. I was thinking of
the same idea @fietsbob ; spacer between casette lockring & frame. Demo bike
and most Pakits the shop sold were Alfine IGH.
Old 09-21-17, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I was thinking adding it, a washer as spacer, to the axle under the locknut.. if that was unclear ..

My Season Tikit has a Sram i9 IGH,... same Idea 135 axle IGH.. it's cog is not outboard as much as a cassette top cog..

I tend to call them on the Phone , maybe because I'm old and don't work in a computer centered job..

retired from ever having one like that..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-21-17 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 05:27 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I was thinking adding it, a washer as spacer, to the axle under the locknut.. if that was unclear ..

My Season Tikit has a Sram i9 IGH,... same Idea 135 axle IGH.. it's cog is not outboard as much as a cassette top cog..

I tend to call them on the Phone , maybe because I'm old and don't work in a computer centered job..

retired from ever having one like that.....
First off there's the east coast/west coast time difference.
Second, sending an email with a photo makes things easier than describing how it looks like over the phone.
Old 09-21-17, 05:42 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
First off there's the east coast/west coast time difference.
Second, sending an email with a photo makes things easier than describing how it looks like over the phone.
haha... you didn't call.

Old 09-22-17, 08:22 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
BFold is trying to straighten out my issues with Bike Friday. I was thinking of
the same idea @fietsbob ; spacer between casette lockring & frame. Demo bike
and most Pakits the shop sold were Alfine IGH.
With the understanding that most of this is wild @ssed speculation ...

I think there are two things happening.

One, the business has been pretty busy lately. They're still in the peak sales season and besides rolling out a relatively new product, selling shares of the business to raise capital has to be time consuming.

Two, Bike Friday is still trying to figure out how to incorporate the LBS into their sales model. Up to now, I understand that their sales was predominantly through sales reps over the phone. While in theory, we all like to think that folks will be just as helpful as before, if the LBS is now part of the "sales team" it seems natural to think that the shop should be the communication point.

My own experience calling them is that if your question requires a senior person with something detailed -- I wanted to swap the seat mast and rear triangle on a medium and large tikit** -- it might take a while to make the connection to get the nitty gritty. Anyway, I suspect that David Lam will be able to handle your problems.

** It turns out that Bike Friday bikes are not quite so modular making it hard to swap frame parts. That is, there is a bit of bike-specific fitting going on during construction such that retro-fitting parts is a more involved process than one might think. (It's not as easy as LEGOs)
Old 09-22-17, 02:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Too Bad there is no 3 pulley RD, anymore, to get chain wrap without so long a cage..
the bottom one is pretty close to the ground, with 16" wheels..
So on bikes like these they begin to make sense..
Old 10-02-17, 06:44 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I think Bike Friday hasn't sorted out the whole dealer network thing. I ordered my Haul-a-Day directly from them, because had I gone to a dealer I would have paid exactly the same, but without all the custom options/color choice/nameplate/etc.

So why go to a dealer at that point?

Their customer service for me was tremendous, but I think if you go to a dealer/LBS, they want that LBS to handle the customer service end of things. If you started directly with them, but then went to an LBS, I think you may have crossed the streams on their service channels and maybe got stuck in the lurch.
Old 10-02-17, 06:50 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Incidentally, what is your impression of sturdiness of this bike? It looks like the rear "triangle" and the steerer are secured to the frame via a loose interference fit secured by a little spring-loaded rounded peg/button.

In my experience, those little button/pegs are fiddly, and not really secure.
Old 10-03-17, 11:32 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by Banzai
Incidentally, what is your impression of sturdiness of this bike? It looks like the rear "triangle" and the steerer are secured to the frame via a loose interference fit secured by a little spring-loaded rounded peg/button.

In my experience, those little button/pegs are fiddly, and not really secure.
Seems pretty sturdy to me. This is my first BF; but as you know a lot of people use BF's for loaded touring. Yes, this is a new model. But the flip up rear and detachable mast have been used on other models for years. The release for the rear triangle is not as polished as let's say Brompton's. Going from parked position(open/folded) to riding position(closed); sometimes the button doesn't catch. But as soon as you sit; it clicks. It's only function is to hold the rear up when lifting the bike anyway; so it's not a big deal for me. A bit of flexing on the handlebar mast; maybe to be expected on most folding bikes. I think the flex is due to the mast being long; not due to BF's quick release design. There is a button to line up the handle bars straight. But you still need to tighten the qr manually.

It's running much better after a few tweaks from BFold. Spacer added to prevent chain rub when in smallest sprocket. Quick release seatpost clamp swapped for fixed clamp. Pin guide on mast moved to accommodate bag. Thanks David!
Bike Friday pakiT from BFold by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 10-03-17, 09:07 PM
maddy13
late night rider

Bikes: masi vincere/ san jose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm shocked they didn't get back to you. I called them once with a question, and they periodically continue to follow up with me.
Old 10-04-17, 07:05 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am in the middle of a customer service question myself. I ordered a bike. Email back and forth was OK. But, needed a phone call or two to get things done. The guy at BF said things had been busy.

Then I had to cancel the order. They hadn't even started the construction process yet so there was no problem. The same person at BF said that my refund would be processed. After a couple weeks the refund had not hit my bank. BF comment was that it would be processed in a couple more weeks. My reply was that they charged my account within hours of me placing the order. No reason to delay the refund.

I had hoped to place the order again when my situation changed. But, now I'm not so sure.
Old 10-04-17, 08:18 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

I assume you have the seatpost scored or marked in some manner to help with setting the saddle height after each time you fold it down?
Old 10-05-17, 02:30 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

I assume you have the seatpost scored or marked in some manner to help with setting the saddle height after each time you fold it down?
I pull out the seatmast till I see the maximum extension mark/lines. Push it down till the mark disappears.
I swapped the seatpost quick release for a fixed collar. Set it at my desired height and tightened the bolt.

Now every time I pull up the seat; I use the max extension line as my guide. Just one quick release to fiddle instead of two.
Old 10-05-17, 02:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

because they fold down , you don't have the same reset the saddle height issues of telescoping seat posts. (it's true on my Tikit and Pocket Llama)

the height is fixed.. not QR telescoping, like Brompton ..

(they have an accessory sleeve, around the hidden end of the seat post,
that the flare in the bottom of the seat post hits when you pull it up, against the frame bushing)

I've not needed it, on my B , i Just know when it's right, and adjust it if it's not, the QR lever makes that easy.

[Or the Dahon/Tern stuff..]

Old 10-05-17, 06:04 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

because they fold down , you don't have the same reset the saddle height issues of telescoping seat posts. (it's true on my Tikit and Pocket Llama)

the height is fixed.. not QR telescoping, like Brompton ..

(they have an accessory sleeve, around the hidden end of the seat post,
that the flare in the bottom of the seat post hits when you pull it up, against the frame bushing)

I've not needed it, on my B , i Just know when it's right, and adjust it if it's not, the QR lever makes that easy.

[Or the Dahon/Tern stuff..]

By fold it down, I meant the bike. It looks like the seatpost of the PakiT just drops down/telescopes into the frame, which would require resetting the height every time.
Old 10-06-17, 08:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

It looks like the seatpost of the PakiT just drops down/telescopes into the frame
Reads like you don't know, So, If it matters do more research, like calling them on the Phone, perhaps?

As a JIT manufacturer you have options on their Specification Menu, with your order , and Deposit $..

They can make the post hinged or removable, its a choice..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-07-17 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-07-17, 02:09 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Reads like you don't know, So, If it matters do more research, like calling them on the Phone, perhaps?

As a JiT manufacturer you have options on their Specification Menu, with your order , and Deposit $..
Please don't reply anymore. The videos also show them clearly dropping the telescoping seatpost into the frame to fold. I was asking Interceptor how he goes about setting his seat height each time, either a mark or if there was some other way, and he answered.

I'm really not sure what your issue is.
Old 10-07-17, 02:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Own any Of Bike Friday's Bikes? or are you an expert looking at a picture..
Old 10-07-17, 04:49 PM
Brompton_X

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon, Tern, Birdy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like bfold too. Bought two Birdy from them. David is great and very helpful.
Likes For Brompton_X:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.