Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 01-18-18, 04:49 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts

Thought it would be helpful to have a general Zwift thread as commenting under the level 10 post is only understood as Zwift related by those doing Zwift already. There could be some who have questions and such. Plus this could provide a central spot for Zwift related chat.
Old 01-18-18, 05:09 PM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great idea!
Old 01-18-18, 05:14 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Tho stuff like the c/a Zwift race series should still be in their own thread.
Old 01-18-18, 09:25 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I am 9 meters away from the Everest achievement and I'm too lazy to finish it off tonight. Of course, there's another 42,000 meters to go to get that damn Tron bike after that so I'm not too fussed about it.
Old 01-18-18, 09:58 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I am 9 meters away from the Everest achievement and I'm too lazy to finish it off tonight. Of course, there's another 42,000 meters to go to get that damn Tron bike after that so I'm not too fussed about it.
Congrats! I am just about to polish off the ca challenge then off to climbing myself. Tron bike is so awesome!
Old 01-19-18, 07:29 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Great idea ... saw that you got a rocker plate. Will be interested to know your thoughts on it.

I want to make one, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-19-18, 03:51 PM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like I'm really getting into this zwift thing...not riding great distance, but at least I'm riding every time I can.
Old 01-19-18, 06:21 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I am working on the California challenge. About 63% there now I think. Then I will slowly work on earning the Emonda. Not sure if I will ever try for the Tron.

Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Great idea ... saw that you got a rocker plate. Will be interested to know your thoughts on it.

I want to make one, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Since I'm not handy and don't have tools to make one....I had to spend the money. Since I had a dropout fail on a bike (last year) I am concerned about using on the trainer to a certain degree. Hence feeling like a rocker could be beneficial. Shipping was about 25% of the cost. But dang that shipping was FAST. Shipped from Netherlands on Monday 1/15 and was delivered to my house in So Cal on Wednesday 1/17. It is still in the box and awaits me assembling it.

My Emonda is currently on the trainer and the drivetrain is audibly clunky right now if I roll it backwards. Not sure what is going on but seems like bottom bracket or crank maybe. Going to take to LBS to diagnose. Might leave it for a tune up since I have had it for 10 months now. Only has 555 miles on it tho so not sure what is up with the noise and the clunky feel. Domane just got tuned but has no bar tape on it at moment. I could have ordered from Amazon and had it wrapped by now but I wanted to support my friend Lisa's shop so I asked her to order for me. It may arrive tomorrow but maybe not til next week.

I'm cleared to ride outside but one bike has no bar tape and would feel odd riding w/o tho I know I can. The other bike is sounding awful plus I put the awful Kickr cassette on it's wheel for time being (have new cassette at my friends shop waiting on the long cage derailleur which is still not here). Emonda has carbon wheels and thus brake pads for Carbon wheels. So I cant use the wheel for Domane which is a normal wheel but has the 11-28 cassette that the Emonda "had" prior to stealing to put on Kickr.
Old 01-19-18, 07:42 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Emonda has carbon wheels and thus brake pads for Carbon wheels. So I cant use the wheel for Domane which is a normal wheel but has the 11-28 cassette that the Emonda "had" prior to stealing to put on Kickr.
What if I told you... you can easily swap out the brake pads without even touching the pad carriers!

I used to swap wheels all the time. I may still.
Old 01-20-18, 04:42 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been creating custom ERG workouts to work on specific items and I note I get many more bonus points that just shot me through level 22. I don't really think about it as the prizes just don't mean much to me after getting my steel bike with Zipp 202's. Ti would sure be nice!

Mixing ERG workouts with 85% sim mode rides has catapulted me to a new fitness level. My 58th summer will be the best one of my life.

I have learned that my two bikes must be setup in their own style. They are quite different and I have learned how to feel when all is set correctly. You cannot do that on normal outdoor rides (well, I couldn't... too many variables).

Chains will be absolutely have to be replaced. I now know what a stretched chain feels like. It is a price you pay for fitness on a bike.

Someday, I will build a dedicated setup with permanent frame, rocker plate (though I have no need for this now), possible incline (if data is ever exported), a tactile shaker attached to the frame to add road vibrations (it is an amplifier that runs a silent shaker) and lighted gearing to see my gear selection in a dark room. Yeah, I'm into these things...
Old 01-21-18, 07:26 AM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got lvl 8
completed my weekly goal as well, which seemed to have given me a good xp boost

edit: I forgot I got the 5 laps around the volcano achievement, that's the real reason for the extra xp

Last edited by Turzy; 01-21-18 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-21-18, 11:07 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Turzy
Finally got lvl 8
completed my weekly goal as well, which seemed to have given me a good xp boost

edit: I forgot I got the 5 laps around the volcano achievement, that's the real reason for the extra xp

nice job...now do the 10 and 25 lapper...you will jump up to lvl 10 super fast then and get the "locked" routes.
Old 01-21-18, 11:17 AM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure about the 25 laps, I don't think I'm ready to ride that much/long yet; I'm slowly getting back into it. I barely rode in 2017...
Old 01-21-18, 05:21 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Turzy
Not sure about the 25 laps, I don't think I'm ready to ride that much/long yet; I'm slowly getting back into it. I barely rode in 2017...
I am still getting used to "longer" rides myself. I rode today, and made a couple of seat adjustments along the way, and I think it is much better than it was before. We will see the next time I ride how I like it. And I just (by a hair) made level 8 myself today.

I was thinking that I wouldn't attempt the 5 laps until I can do the 10 laps. The last time I tried doing volcano laps I got bored after one lap and instead rode to the top of the volcano, so doing this will take some mental preparation as well . I can't quite fathom doing 25.
Old 01-21-18, 05:59 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Doing 25 is a bit of a slog. But it was the fast way to level 10. 2000 xp for 10, 25 Laps plus 500 for metric century. Throw in xp for each mile or each km...
Old 01-21-18, 07:34 PM
camcrobe

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Double, 1997 Jamis Quest rebuilt CoMo

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple of days ago was 12 laps into the 25 of volcano circuit (trying to go from 7 to 10 in one go) when my internet went down. Everything froze up and the ride wasn’t t saved or uploaded to Strava (known issuen on AppleTV 4K). Ugh. Luckily the xp points did stick. A few rides later and am about halfway through level 9. I think I can smell the Mayan Jungle.
Old 01-21-18, 10:11 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by camcrobe
Couple of days ago was 12 laps into the 25 of volcano circuit (trying to go from 7 to 10 in one go) when my internet went down. Everything froze up and the ride wasn’t t saved or uploaded to Strava (known issuen on AppleTV 4K). Ugh. Luckily the xp points did stick. A few rides later and am about halfway through level 9. I think I can smell the Mayan Jungle.
That’s a *****. I have not had that sort of issue and I have ATV 4K. I rode for 5 hours on Christmas Day to do the 25 Laps. I have only had issues with ZML connecting and staying connected
Old 01-21-18, 10:13 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Rocker plate arrived this week and I set it up today. No ride yet but will ride tomorrow.
Old 01-22-18, 08:42 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

You apparently only need a wifi connection when you start zwift and when you save your ride (on a PC at least). The rest of the time you can ride solo if you want.

I got that blasted emonda bike... in richmond tonight. Nyuk.
Old 01-22-18, 09:04 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I rode outside Saturday (first time since surgery) and dang it....doesn’t count toward California challenge
Old 01-23-18, 05:04 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I rode outside Saturday (first time since surgery) and dang it....doesn’t count toward California challenge
I got in a 40 mile ride with the local Potomac Pedalers club and not once did anyone say "Ride On" - very disappointed...

Last winter was my first using Zwift and doing a lot of indoor riding over the winter, and I remember in March when I got back outside that (A) I was in much better shape in March than any previous years; and (2) it felt strange to use the brakes, look behind me for traffic; and (III) real hills are very different than Zwift hills.
Old 01-23-18, 08:24 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Some discussion about the "trainer difficulty" setting.

This jumped out at me:

Move the slider right and climbs feel tougher. In fact, set the slider to “Max” and your Zwift climbs feel as challenging as outdoor climbs of the same steepness. Remember that downhills get steeper, too. You can find yourself going so fast that spinning the pedals adds little more speed.
Hmmmm
Old 01-23-18, 11:58 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Well, Sunday was good day in Zwift land for me. I reached level 10, and more importantly(?) I found out that the wireless remote temperature probe for my smoker has enough range to reach the bike trainer. In true Clyde fashion, I was multi tasking burning calories and cooking them at the same time. Smoked a turkey, some brats, and some potatoes(just filling space with them). There's not many rest stops that smell that delicious.
Old 01-23-18, 08:37 PM
ericy
Señor Member

I was contemplating the 25-laps around the volcano either this weekend or next, and starting to think about what I needed to have on hand ahead of time (gel, granola bar, banana, that sort of thing).

When I woke up this morning I had a sore throat .
Old 01-24-18, 08:17 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Podagrower
Well, Sunday was good day in Zwift land for me. I reached level 10, and more importantly(?) I found out that the wireless remote temperature probe for my smoker has enough range to reach the bike trainer. In true Clyde fashion, I was multi tasking burning calories and cooking them at the same time. Smoked a turkey, some brats, and some potatoes(just filling space with them). There's not many rest stops that smell that delicious.
That's fantastic!

I'm an avid meat smoker as well, though I don't do much of it during the winter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.