Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with a flat?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How do you deal with a flat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 10:46 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Milice
Seems to me that the OP is probably a shill for the company.
That's what I was thinking. Hard to say for sure.

Easier to say with certainty is that this product is a dog.
Old 02-12-17, 03:09 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Why so heavy?
Lezyne mini pump: ~90g
2 tubes: ~180g
Levers: ~40g

This can be lightened if you're willing to have one tube (maybe add tiny patch kit) or reduce the number of levers.
530*2 - 280*2 = 500. I am saying you can carry as much as 500g more in this situation and still be lighter. I don't know what the stuff I carry weighs, but I need at least one cartridge of co2 because I hate pumping on the side of the road.
Old 02-12-17, 05:27 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
That's what I was thinking. Hard to say for sure.

Easier to say with certainty is that this product is a dog.
But I can tell you for certain that the Dyanaplugs are freaking awesome in tubless situations.i
Old 02-13-17, 08:10 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Note that the tool contains an inflator -- presumably each patch pod contains that plus the patch.

Protecting yourself against multiple flats would require multiple patch pods which increases both weight and bulk. Patchnride recommends carrying 3 patch pods. Curiously, the $35 tool only comes with two...

Agreed, the patch tool posted by the OP is jinky, and not likely to be all that useful. Jitterr and I were discussing the weight of the Nexo tires that you posted a link to earlier, where no repair kit, pump or spare tubes would be required.
Old 02-13-17, 11:33 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Agreed, the patch tool posted by the OP is jinky, and not likely to be all that useful. Jitterr and I were discussing the weight of the Nexo tires that you posted a link to earlier, where no repair kit, pump or spare tubes would be required.
I am vaguely curious but not optimistic except for lower speed utility riding. My expectations would be a miserable ride, virtually nonexistent grip, and terrible rolling resistance. I would love to be proved wrong.

The weight is competitive with Schwalbe Marathon Plus which is as flat proof as it gets -- which I still managed to flat many times and which is like riding in sand.

That neither of these products is yet available is telling. One thing I always try to keep in mind is banerjek's iron clad rule of product development, namely that things always work better before they are released than afterwards....