Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Your Dahon frame will fail, so buy this new Dahon thing...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Your Dahon frame will fail, so buy this new Dahon thing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 11:34 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I can't say I agree with that at all but maybe from a US perspective it seems true. I'm not questioning the importance or significance of Dahon as a brand of folding bikes I just struggle to see the enduring significant innovation many claim.
I don't answer questions about what "many" claim. I tried to answer yours based on my knowledge and experience of folders in the country I live in.
Old 09-06-17, 07:40 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
f. Conceals rear brake and rear derailleur cable, looks simple and beautiful.
Wut?

the deltec was mainly developed to keep cheap copies of Dahons breaking and giving Dahon a bad name.
Lovely of Dahon to think of their competitors counterfeiters. I suppose from today onwards, all cheap copies of Dahon will include the deltec anchor points, which raises their cheap price slightly.
Old 09-06-17, 09:11 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
as i said the anchor points will be on some models down the road. I am thinking to bring the old speed p 8 back with fat tires, wider saddle, relative low gearing etc and have the deltec installed by factory.

other than that the samples i have have a bracket for the headset and bottom bracket and should fit without any mods
dont have enough time to install one , but when i have a minute or two i will try different bikes
Old 09-07-17, 04:40 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I don't answer questions about what "many" claim. I tried to answer yours based on my knowledge and experience of folders in the country I live in.
I understand that but if a British company sells something for the first time in the UK that is pretty much a copy of something that has been sold in Japan for 30 years the credit for the innovation should go to the Japanese company or companies that first came up with the design principles.
Old 09-07-17, 09:09 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Deltec cord seems like a good idea on long distance folding touring bikes. It works in Tension and still allows a fold.
Dahon's bridge bar, which is in the Visc's, and some other Dahon models works in compression. Both take some of the load force out of the hinge area and frame in that area.

A lot of these subjects are really about product and function much more than marketing. I personally like bikes that work well. I like my 18 speed Visc quite a lot. Given that it has the bridge bar I am not seeing the need for the Deltec there. Still, it would seem there are many places where it could work. I recently saw a nice bike in the Czech Technical museum with a similar cord (non-folding frame) that was very elegant and functional.

There are many many pieces that come together to make nice bikes. Its nice that so many people have been working hard on the subject for the last 200 years. David Hon's 35 years plus in that development is not a small part by any measure.

Folding bikes are really cool.
Old 09-08-17, 05:12 AM
mct1709

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like a retro fit isn't possible on mu uno's
Old 09-08-17, 06:43 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mct1709
looks like a retro fit isn't possible on mu uno's
it shoule be
but i havent tested yet

the Dahon bikes will have convenient braze ons, to attach the deltech
but I do have samples with nifty clamps which go on to the headtube and bbb shell for other bikes, or yo upgrade current Dahons

thor
Old 09-08-17, 10:19 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
it shoule be
but i havent tested yet

the Dahon bikes will have convenient braze ons, to attach the deltech
but I do have samples with nifty clamps which go on to the headtube and bbb shell for other bikes, or yo upgrade current Dahons

thor
I would love to use this on my 2 dahon bikes (Speed P8 & Speed 3i). Please keep me posted!!!
Old 09-08-17, 11:33 PM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
Meaning your header for this thread is not marketing ? sensationalism at best ? We have enough of these fake news in our country.

Its not about semantics or some wrong words used by our friends in china making this vid. Its not even about patents or anything like that, its an open source product, which competitors are able to buy from Dahon at cost. Dahon had patents at one time for their handleposts, but allowed Brompton to use them as well. It is all about making folding bikes BETTER for people who otherwise might not be able to ride them. Its about getting MORE people on bikes ( no matter what brand ) and be safe or safer than without.
Would that not be of interest to us all ?

I agree that the video could have been done different. Dahon would never show a different manufacturer frame to do this, besides the frame shown has special braze ons, while the real Deltec has clamps to fit almost every bike.

Instead of being positive about this you seem to want to turn this around and say that Dahon frames are breaking ....

Isnt there enough negativity on this board ?

Thor

Its Dahoon that are saying frames are failing, it's right there in their own marketing! And that is what Youtube is, a marketing channel. My point is crystal clear, but i'll spell it out further. Dahon are marketing idiots despite their market position. You do not market your new niche product by implying that your main product, expensive bikes (over 2K in my case), will fail in a way that possibly might be fatal. How can anyone begin to defend that?

Let's crap all over our bread and butter products to make $10 a pop on this little side product, great idea! Someone really should be fired over it IMO (not the product but its marketing). I honestly can't think of an example of worse marketing.
Old 09-09-17, 04:26 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it is a good idea. This is not only about quality of Dahon frames, this is also about Dahon users/owners. One hand in the air if you have never used your Dahon or similar bike in a way that the manufacturer tell you not to do. Close to weight limit for your folder? Hanging stuff off the seatpost? Loading it down for touring or shopping? Riding "off road" (jumping curbes)?

Look at what is discussed in this forum all the time: weight, weight, weight and price, price, price. Then add small fold- best is a Brompton size fold with at least 20" wheels. We wish for product and price combinations that is not possible and we torture our bikes on a dayly basis.

Fairly often peopel ask in this forum about folders for heavy peopel, and we keep telling them that if they buy a steel bike and buy BA`s they should be fine. In the next thread we complain that Dahon is responsible and develop a product that can help avoid frames breaking...
Old 09-11-17, 08:02 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Old bike with bottom cord in Czech National Technical Museum

This picture, if I can post it finally, shows a very elegant "bottom cord" in a Non-Folding bike:

Having difficulty posting photos on the site. What am I missing?

Last edited by L Arnold; 09-11-17 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 03:17 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I remember seing at least one in Denmarks tecnical museum some years ago. My own pictures are hidden on an old harddisc but I think I found a picture with a bike that has got a wire as a downtube and top tube, the one to the right hanging from the ceiling:

https://www.euro-t-guide.com/See_Phot...or_2009_05.jpg

The museum website. Two pictures of bikes: Danish Technical & Aviation Museum - euro-t-guide - Denmark - What to see - 1
Old 09-12-17, 05:02 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by L Arnold
This picture, if I can post it finally, shows a very elegant "bottom cord" in a Non-Folding bike:

Having difficulty posting photos on the site. What am I missing?

When posting pictures go "Advanced", scroll down to "Manage Attachments", add photos, post.
Old 09-12-17, 05:27 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
When posting pictures go "Advanced", scroll down to "Manage Attachments", add photos, post.
Are you seeing the "corded" bike as I am seeing above? Not sure if it is telegraphing through. Anyway, there is "manage" button. I see it now. I had been using the "picture" icon in the editor.

Here is a smaller view and a few other fun bikes.

(first is with the tension cord in the "down cord" downtube)
(second is a Draisene (1817 = 200 years old this year)
(third is a cool front suspension bike from years ago)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2017-08-06 13.26.52 small.jpg (46.9 KB, 122 views)
2017-08-06 13.18.29 small.jpg (37.1 KB, 118 views)
2017-08-06 13.34 small.jpg (43.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 09-12-17, 05:48 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

It says "Manage Attachments",...
Attached Images
Screenshot_20170912-194739.jpg (20.1 KB, 119 views)