Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any tire recommendations for 700 x 40-ish size?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 08:03 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts

I have two bikes that can handle larger tire diameters (Jamis Aurora and an '91 Trek 750), anyone have a tire that they like in 700 x 38 to 45-ish size frame that you would recommend? I have Vittoria Randonneur on my Jamis that are beginning to get some rubber cracks after 8 years of riding (tread life is fine though). A little tread on the tire is fine but I'm mostly just riding road.
Old 10-29-19, 08:06 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Panaracer Paselas are widely hailed, and they are at least available as 700x35. Soma also has what I hear are nice tires in wide 700c sizes (like 38+), like the Supple Vitesse, which incidentally are also made under contract by Panaracer.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-29-19, 09:37 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Pricey, but of course the Rene Herse (née Compass) offerings are available. The design, tread and casing is shared across many sizes. They offer a 700c x 44 in various casings so you can dial in rolling resistance vs durability.
Old 10-29-19, 10:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Continental SpeedRide. Nominally 700x42, actually measures closer to x38 wide for most folks.

Despite Conti's odd description of it as a "semi-slick" or "urban" tire, it's actually patterned after some popular cyclocross tires for dry conditions. It has a file pattern on the main tread -- far from "slick" -- and vestigial side knobbies that come into play only on turns on grass. It has a thin puncture shield, which is the main difference from Conti's nearly identical but narrower Cyclocross Speed tire (now discontinued or renamed). And the SpeedRide costs around $20-$25, half the price of comparable popular dry gravel/grass tires.

The main file tread does 95% of the work and works very well as a compromise all-arounder tire -- pavement, gravel, grass. Even dry powder snow a couple of winters.

I've ridden a pair (wire bead version with reflective sidewall) for going on three years, no problems. I usually set the pressure fairly soft, around 50-60 psi rear, 40-50 psi front, depending on conditions and whether I'm lugging stuff in a handlebar bag or panniers on the rear rack.

I had a rash of half a dozen puncture flats the first couple of months I used the SpeedRides back in autumn 2016. Every flat was user error. I blasted through piles of debris that collects at intersections (lots of broken glass and sharp stuff lurking), which accounted for three or four punctures. Another came from riding on grass in late summer/early autumn when goathead grass burrs are dry. And one was from broken glass hidden by piles of leaves. No puncture flats since, more than two years and around 3,000-4,000 miles. That's pretty good.

The rear tire showed some wear by last year so I swapped it to the front. I don't usually do that but I was curious to see if it affected handling. Nope, feels the same as always.

At lower pressure the ride is comfortable without feeling sluggish. Not too bouncy and really tames chipseal and rough pavement. Occasionally I've ridden it at full pressure and it feels a bit harsher but not faster.

Occasionally I've tried other tires on my Univega hybrid but keep going back to the SpeedRide. That includes a couple of months last winter with Conti Sport Contact II, which weighed the same, had less aggressive file tread, but felt harsh at full pressure and sluggish at lower pressure. The Sport Contact II tires are back in the closet now. Ditto, pairs of hybrid tires from Specialized, Innova and others with variations of chevron tread patterns -- tried 'em, didn't care for 'em, switched back to the SpeedRides.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-29-19, 10:15 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
... anyone have a tire that they like in 700 x 38 to 45-ish size frame that you would recommend?
I've been impressed with the Continental Tour Ride (Ride Tour) tires. They're available in many of the same 700c sizes as the Vittoria Randonneur, for roughly similar weights and prices.

Great puncture resistance, pretty good rolling speeds. Decent enough tread for good traction on sketchy road surfaces.

On another bike, I've had the Vittoria Randonneur in 700x38. Nice speedy tire, with more of a flat-road style tread as compared to the Conti Tour Ride, and without the puncture resistance.

If you're looking for something similar in weight and price, with these sorts of features, I would recommend considering the Conti.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-29-19, 01:22 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I've got Schwalbe marathons currently, I think 38mm. They seem round enough for inexpensive tires. Round is more than I can say for some of the junk hybrid sized tires I've bought.

For the bucks I think you could do a lot worse than these for mostly road and a little not road stuff.

Last edited by riva; 10-29-19 at 09:20 PM.
Likes For riva:
Old 10-29-19, 01:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Vittoria Randonneur is quite possibly one of the slowest tires ever created. If they didnt use molasses in the tire compound, I would be surprised. Almost anything you buy will feel faster than what you have now. Its a good place to start as its only up from here!
Vittoria Randonneur Pro is much better for rolling resistance, just as durable, and lighter. Still not fast though.
Vittoria Hyper is fast, light, and dirt cheap if you can still find them online. Really impressive tire.

more...

Schwalbe Marathon Almotion is a 38 tire that rolls well.
Compass Barlow Pass extralight is light and fast. Its also like everything from RH/Compass- not exactly inexpensive.
Schwalbe G-one. There are multiple models with varied weight/price/speed.\
Compass Bon Jon is another to consider.
WTB Exposure in tanwall is light and rolls well too.

There are just so many quality 35-42mm tires available it can be difficult to sort thru. And with each company having so many variations of each model, it gets more difficult. Did I get the 'speed' version of the tire or 'race' version, and whats the difference?!?
Seriously- I think Schwalbe has 10 versions of its 'Marathon' tire at least. Then you have RH/Compass which gives each tire width a different name that is also just as difficult to keep straight.
Choose a price ceiling and go from there. Thats the easiest way to start sorting out what you want vs no want. Then decide if you want tread or not. Once those are decided, options become more manageable.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-29-19, 01:32 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I had panaracer Pasela 700x38c on a commuter and liked them.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 10-29-19, 02:45 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
These links might be of use for some people, when evaluating tires.

Touring Tires -- Reviews & Tests @ Bicycle Rolling Resistance.

Road Tires -- Reviews & Tests @ Bicycle Rolling Resistance.

MTB Tires -- Reviews & Tests @ Bicycle Rolling Resistance.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-29-19, 03:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The rolling resistance site tests are usually accurate, but occasionally my experience differs significantly from their tests and conclusions.

The Continental Sport Contact II is a notable example. On paper and in the rolling resistance site tests it appears to be a good tire for commuter bikes, touring and an alternative to Gatorskins for bikes with enough room to accommodate 700x28 or wider tires.

In actual practice on real roads, it doesn't quite work out. I've kept the Sport Contact II set after trying it for 500 miles, only because they fit my old SKS Bluemel fenders and the tires were grippy in wet conditions. Eventually they'll be acceptable on an errand or commuter bike for wet weather. They wouldn't be my first choice for everyday riding if I wanted to enjoy the ride.

Otherwise I've agreed with the rolling resistance conclusions on most other tires I've ridden that they've tested, including the inexpensive Conti Ultra Sport II. My experience with those tires perfectly matches the RR site's. They don't suddenly become sluggish and squishy at lower pressure, and even match the performance of much more expensive tires at comparably lower pressure. But I know some folks who dislike the Ultra Sport II and disagree with the RR tests and my impressions.

Same with the RR site tests of the Schwalbe One V-Guard, Vittoria Zaffiro, Conti Gran Prix Classic skinwalls, and others. My experience and impressions matched their tests, pro and con.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-29-19, 03:44 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
I ran 700 x 38mm Panaracer Gravel Kings (with the smooth tread) tubeless on my Black Mountain road; that is until I got a flat on our June/July tour of the Pacific Northwest and the sealant didn't do the trick. I liked 'em. But then I tried the 700 x 38mm Compass/Rene Herse tires tubeless on the same bike/rims, and they were too big (rear rubbed on the brake bridge)! So not all 700 x 38mm tires measure the same.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-29-19, 06:00 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 607 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
I've been impressed with the Continental Tour Ride (Ride Tour) tires. They're available in many of the same 700c sizes as the Vittoria Randonneur, for roughly similar weights and prices.

Great puncture resistance, pretty good rolling speeds. Decent enough tread for good traction on sketchy road surfaces.

If you're looking for something similar in weight and price, with these sorts of features, I would recommend considering the Conti.
I'll second that.
Old 10-29-19, 09:08 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Old 10-29-19, 10:21 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Another thumbs up for Panaracers in 35 and 38mm. Quite a bit lighter than the Vittoria Randonneurs (although those things are tough!)

Nice thing about the larger tire sizes: lower inflation pressure usually means fewer flats.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 10-30-19, 03:40 AM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have a set of the Maxxis ReFuse 700x40 on my Masi CX. I rather much like them for volume, rolling resistance on pavement, consistent grip, and adequate grip off-pavement. I found the Panaracer GravelKing SK to be a bit treacherous with the squirming knobs, especially on hard pack or pavement if you ride aggressively.

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-511-139-re-fuse
Likes For brandon98:
Old 10-30-19, 04:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
I will second the suggestion of the Continental Speed Ride. I have a pair that I've used on a number of bikes (swapped to different wheels, etc.). No matter the inner rim width, they're a pretty consistent 38mm +/- 1. I, too, ride them on the softer side (30-40 psi front, 40-50 psi rear, I'm 240 pounds). They're very comfortable tires, and also very smooth tires. They're pretty light for their size (425 grams or so as I recall), they have a folding bead (unless you get the reflective version, which has a wire bead), and they're inexpensive. They're a tremendous value.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-30-19, 05:08 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I ran 700 x 38mm Panaracer Gravel Kings (with the smooth tread) tubeless on my Black Mountain road; that is until I got a flat on our June/July tour of the Pacific Northwest and the sealant didn't do the trick. I liked 'em. But then I tried the 700 x 38mm Compass/Rene Herse tires tubeless on the same bike/rims, and they were too big (rear rubbed on the brake bridge)! So not all 700 x 38mm tires measure the same.
I started using the Gravel Kings on my Monstercross last year. A really decent tire for half the price of Compass/RH tires.

I tossed a wider set of GK's on my Bilenky for our St. Paul to Duluth trip this summer and I was impressed.

No drama at all. No flats which was nice on a longer trip, often in the middle of nowhere.
Likes For gomango:
Old 10-31-19, 05:32 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Another thumbs up for Panaracers in 35 and 38mm. Quite a bit lighter than the Vittoria Randonneurs (although those things are tough!)

Nice thing about the larger tire sizes: lower inflation pressure usually means fewer flats.
Yeah I actually like the Randonneurs and find them good rollers, no flats either with them. They are heavy though and I want to try something fatter (mine are 32's). The Continental Speed Rides look like a good one to try out. I've had Paselas in the past and they are fine too.

Again, thanks all for the suggestions.
Old 10-31-19, 06:08 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
I really like my Schwalbe marathon plus tours 700Cx42. A couple of years without flats and almost no wear.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 10-31-19, 08:39 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I really like my Schwalbe marathon plus tours 700Cx42. A couple of years without flats and almost no wear.
plus 1. ... you may get tired of the tire before you wear them out marathons are heavy but very long lived .. it took me 3 years and a lot of miles to wear a set out .. currently I’m running a set of 700x40 Clement Xplor on my Surly and a set of 700x38 Panaracer Gravel King Slicks on my Soma Stanyan ... I greatly prefer the Gravel Kings to the Clement / Donnelly tires

Last edited by SamSpade1941; 10-31-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-31-19, 10:39 AM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Yep, not the ones to get if you want light, but some got those wonderful looking bright color protection layers in their marketing propoganda.
Old 11-01-19, 04:49 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I'm riding Michelin Protek Cross in 700x38, $25 each from REI, or IIRC around $20 from Bike Tires Direct. These fit fine on my 1994 Trek 730, with I think enough room for fenders when I get those. They're true 38s when measured.

I mostly ride road, so I wanted good-rolling tires, with some dirt/gravel/offroad/mud so I also wanted some tread. The local highway has an unbelievable amount of junk off to the sides, so I also have to deal with that, and these seem study enough so far. These have a 1mm protection layer, and the inverted tread gives another few mm. (The Protek Cross Max has a 5mm protection layer. Somebody here has those I think.) The sidewalls seem supple, and the tread looks like a crown on top of the casing. I can see a broken beer bottle possibly flipping up and into the sidewall, but I can't go far on armor, and I'm good with this trade-off point. They roll great, and so far I love em a bunch.

I haven't had them long enough to see how they wear.

Last edited by rseeker; 11-01-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 06:40 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
These fit and ride more like a 38, although they're 700x35. I'm fairly certain Continental is phasing them out, but I absolutely love them.

https://www.probikesupply.com/produc...700x35-folding

They've been sold out at every outlet I shop at for at least 8-10 months now. I'm not familiar with ProBikeSupply, so I haven't ordered any from them (I'd also prefer a ~$25/tire price because I'm cheap!!)

PS - I see you're at Signal Mountain. If you happen to be near ATL in the near future, I have a spare tire I can kick you. Or I guess we can nego on shipping, they're folding, so ... easy to ship.

Last edited by francophile; 11-01-19 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 08:37 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
I'm using the RH Snoqualmie Pass, nominal 700x44. On a rim with internal width of just under 19mm they inflate to 41-42 used with inner tubes. First rear tire has been worn through and no flats until tread was about gone. This was in fairly rough urban duty, two winters on city streets. It has been replaced with same and I'd not consider a lesser tire. Just too much fun to ride. For a bike that gets used a lot cough up the money and enjoy.

Keep the pressure low, doesn't much change rolling resistance and makes plush. At higher or even normal pressure feels like bouncing superballs.
Old 11-07-19, 10:46 AM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
I put on a pair of Soma Supple Vitesse 42c tires. The sidewalls are paper thin. The tire I put on the front was uneven with the tan sidewall visible on one side and not the other as I rode. This aggravated me more than it should have. I read they were supposed to be good on gravel so I gave it a go despite my doubts because of the dainty sidewall and lack of tread whatsoever. 5 miles into a 30 mile mixed tarmac/gravel ride on them a hidden object ripped open the side of the rear tire and tube ruining the tire. Less than 8 miles total on the tire. Not sure I will replace it. I put back on a set of T-servs 35c that have plenty life left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.