Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A couple of new tools i bought (pics!)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-23-12, 09:48 PM
ka0use

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i 'fess, i'm a tool junkie, and i got a couple of fixes recently.

the crank bros. m5 is small, sturdy and 4 of the tools will cover everything but the
crank bolts and the headset bolt. the 5th tool (smallest, 3mm)doesn't fit anything on the bike. wrenches are 3,4,5, and 6mm. $13 (msrp) at peak cycles in golden. i put the split ring and lanyard on to prevent loss. i lost it twice the first 3 days i had it, snort.

i've been wanting a general multi-tool for some years, but couldn't find one that really served my needs/wants. i found the model gerber model 600 blunt nose, black (their description) at amazon.com for $47 and change + 'free' shipping. got it in 3 days. the jaws have replaceable triangular shaped cutters. not just replaceable, but rotate-able as each cutter gets dull. replacements available from gerber. comes with a wrench for that purpose. i tried the cutters on electrical wire and the result was dismal. probably for baling wire. it has a crimper, should be good for wire end caps. the phillips works with #0 and #1 screw heads.

the black tabs are lock releases for the tools. the plier locks in the out position. it retracts, not folds like a leatherman. comes with belt pouch that has a slot for the wrench.

biiiiiig sigh. i love tools. can i rummage through your tool box?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0005.jpg (89.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-23-12, 10:29 PM
WickedThump

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm kinda nutty about tools too. I happened across my bike multi tool at a yard sale for 50 cents. It's a Bell and it has a chain tool built in. It's sort of heavy, and I'd like to replace it with a 1/4" driver with just the bits I need for the bike.
Old 07-24-12, 05:34 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Must...resist...the...urge...to...buy...more...tools!
Old 07-24-12, 07:07 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The 3 mm hex key fits a lot of water bottle cage bolts so it can be useful on some bikes. Now, i'm going to feed your tool addiction even more. Look here:

https://www.parktool.com/product/multi-tool-mt-1

This Park "Dog Bone" multitool has all of the hex wrenches your Crank Bros. tool does, adds an 8 mm for crank bolts and 8,9 and 10 mm box openings, is long enough to develop useful torque on larger bolts and weighs less! For about $10 you can't go wrong!
Old 07-24-12, 08:58 AM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The 3 mm hex key fits a lot of water bottle cage bolts so it can be useful on some bikes. Now, i'm going to feed your tool addiction even more. Look here:

https://www.parktool.com/product/multi-tool-mt-1

This Park "Dog Bone" multitool has all of the hex wrenches your Crank Bros. tool does, adds an 8 mm for crank bolts and 8,9 and 10 mm box openings, is long enough to develop useful torque on larger bolts and weighs less! For about $10 you can't go wrong!

hang on, i'm digging through the alien head cookie jar 'bank' for enough $....

and, i kiiiiiinda bought the m5 as a pre-birthday present to myself, annnnd, i kiiiiinda bought the gerber as a post-birthday present to myself.

addicts always have an excuse. addictions and afflictions, mmm, mmm, mmm.
we get pain killer-type addicts here at the free clinic (i s'pect they are found at regular dr's
offices, too, snort) and they rationalise anything and everything they do/don't do.

roll on, christmas! i really want a repair stand (pcs-10, park), and i have yet to get a cable tool (cn-10, park).

are there tool zombies? i've been known to stagger around with my arms out, holding a tool, and moaning, looking green around the gills.
and why do zombies and mummies always walk with their arms out? do they really do that or is that hollywood?
Old 07-24-12, 09:08 AM
Hoshnasi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tools is where my other hobby of making gear reviews collide with cycling. Gerber makes a decent Multi-tool and I know they have a die-hard following but I cannot stand how the knives are laid out on them. I want the blade edge to lie flush with the handle and aility to deploy the blade without pulling out the pliers is MAJOR to me.

I acknowledge that people have different tool needs. For me the blade is of more use than the pliers.

Loving that Park tool and Crank Bro M5. Going to buy them on the first here.
Old 07-24-12, 09:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by ka0use
i 'fess, i'm a tool junkie, and i got a couple of fixes recently.

the crank bros. m5 is small, sturdy and 4 of the tools will cover everything but the
crank bolts and the headset bolt. the 5th tool (smallest, 3mm)doesn't fit anything on the bike. wrenches are 3,4,5, and 6mm. $13 (msrp) at peak cycles in golden. i put the split ring and lanyard on to prevent loss. i lost it twice the first 3 days i had it, snort.

i've been wanting a general multi-tool for some years, but couldn't find one that really served my needs/wants. i found the model gerber model 600 blunt nose, black (their description) at amazon.com for $47 and change + 'free' shipping. got it in 3 days. the jaws have replaceable triangular shaped cutters. not just replaceable, but rotate-able as each cutter gets dull. replacements available from gerber. comes with a wrench for that purpose. i tried the cutters on electrical wire and the result was dismal. probably for baling wire. it has a crimper, should be good for wire end caps. the phillips works with #0 and #1 screw heads.

the black tabs are lock releases for the tools. the plier locks in the out position. it retracts, not folds like a leatherman. comes with belt pouch that has a slot for the wrench.

biiiiiig sigh. i love tools. can i rummage through your tool box?
No bicycle multitool holds a candle to the Cool Tool. One of the first and still one of the best. Unlike most mulitools for bicycles it actually fits your hand and feels like a tool should. Hard to find today.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-24-12, 09:46 AM
Hoshnasi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No bicycle multitool holds a candle to the Cool Tool.
I'm having a hard time finding this. Have a link?
Old 07-24-12, 10:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
A man can never have too many books or tools.
Old 07-24-12, 10:28 AM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe he's talking about either the Gerber Cool Tool https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Cool-...607#vi-content or the original below https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Cool+Tool

Attached Images
Cool Tool, stainless.jpg (92.7 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 07-24-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 01:04 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Hoshnasi
I'm having a hard time finding this. Have a link?
Cool Tool Wiki. You can find them occasionally on Fleabay.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-24-12, 03:00 PM
WickedThump

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi
The tools is where my other hobby of making gear reviews collide with cycling. Gerber makes a decent Multi-tool and I know they have a die-hard following but I cannot stand how the knives are laid out on them. I want the blade edge to lie flush with the handle and aility to deploy the blade without pulling out the pliers is MAJOR to me.

I acknowledge that people have different tool needs. For me the blade is of more use than the pliers.

Loving that Park tool and Crank Bro M5. Going to buy them on the first here.
This is the Gerber I've been using forever:
https://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-M...egend-8239.htm
All the tools can be accessed without opening the pliers, and the knife can be deployed one-handed. The major drawback is the weight, but it's very sturdy. I've had it on my belt and in use almost daily for 10+ years, and it hasn't loosened up at all. Quite durable.
Old 07-24-12, 04:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
I believe he's talking about either the Gerber Cool Tool https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Cool-...607#vi-content or the original below https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Cool+Tool

I saw one of these for the first time on Saturday. Funny coincidence. We needed a pedal wrench, and my adjustable wrenches were too thick. My friend whipped this out and asked if it would do. Yeah! Very clever.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-24-12, 06:08 PM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I saw one of these for the first time on Saturday. Funny coincidence. We needed a pedal wrench, and my adjustable wrenches were too thick. My friend whipped this out and asked if it would do. Yeah! Very clever.
i just looked at ebay and there is a used one for bid beginning at $15. no bids yet. hmmmm......
does look like a useful tool.
Old 07-24-12, 08:20 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Why would anyone resist the overwhelming urge to buy new tools? Resistance makes no sense. bk
Old 07-25-12, 07:02 AM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump
I'm kinda nutty about tools too. I happened across my bike multi tool at a yard sale for 50 cents. It's a Bell and it has a chain tool built in. It's sort of heavy, and I'd like to replace it with a 1/4" driver with just the bits I need for the bike.
well, ya gonna show us, or just tease us? a visual fix isn't as good as buying a tool, but it is a start.
Old 07-25-12, 07:08 AM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
here is another gerber , cool tool' i saw on ebay. no idea what it does. suggestions?
Attached Images
Old 07-25-12, 07:28 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by ka0use
here is another gerber , cool tool' i saw on ebay. no idea what it does. suggestions?
It was less successful than the original Cool Tool. It has a 4,5,6 mm allen wrench (the 4 and 5 mm are in the cam lever). It also has two slots on the nut that were used as spoke wrenches and there is a 10mm socket head in the cam side as well.

Old 07-25-12, 09:09 AM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It was less successful than the original Cool Tool. It has a 4,5,6 mm allen wrench (the 4 and 5 mm are in the cam lever). It also has two slots on the nut that were used as spoke wrenches and there is a 10mm socket head in the cam side as well.
selling as a closeout for $24.95, apparently new on card or in box. mmmmmmmmm, have to think about it.
payday is tomorrow!
Old 07-25-12, 12:09 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Huh.

Now I really want that Cool Tool. Best multitool I've ever seen, and I thought I have a good one (3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 mm allen, phillips screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, 8 mm wrench and chain tool. And can opener.)

EDIT: and a torx driver.
Old 07-25-12, 12:18 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I just can't get excited about multitools, because I hate using every single one I've ever tried.
Old 07-26-12, 01:49 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is also a seatpost QR!

This my my new acquisition. It's a crank puller with left hand threads..

Attached Images
leftextractor1.jpg (36.7 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 07-26-12 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-27-12, 08:40 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
What the...?

What diabolical bastard put left-hand threads in their cranks' extraction hole?
Old 07-27-12, 03:04 PM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump

something like this? i found it in a hardware store. had them next to the cash register. marked 'AES', no card or box, just several in a canister on the counter.

1/4" drive on all ends, choose your own bits. my bits have small o-rings around the centers to hold them in the tool, and they are double-ended with different sizes. use as in-line or T confiduration. inexpensive, $3 at the time.
hope/home/hap-less depot doesn't have them. try handy andy, hardware hank, true value or ace.
Attached Images
IMAG0007.jpg (124.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by ka0use; 07-27-12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-28-12, 08:04 PM
Cache

Bikes: 1982 Torker BMX, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning, 1996 Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Gerber Cool Tool in 1996 and comes with me on every ride. Get one if you can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.