Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Zonda wheels safe for 220# rider?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 12:59 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

A buddy of mine is looking at a bike with Campagnolo Zonda wheels, and I'm curious whether they will handle his weight. He is 220#.
My friend has been riding a normal 32-spoke rear wheel (14g straight-gauge spokes) without any issue. So if a lower-spoke, deeper-dish rim is as strong as standard 32-spoke wheels, he should be okay.

Here's characteristics of the Zonda wheelset:
  • 2006 model year
  • 15mm internal width (clincher)
  • 16 front spokes
  • 21 rear spokes (14 drive-side, 7 non-drive-side, designed to resolve the typical unequal tension of dished rear wheels)
  • 28mm rear rim, front slightly shallower
Old 01-21-19, 04:51 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
From The Campagnolo website

https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Sup..._by_the_wheels

What are the weight limits of the wheels? Where can I find the weight limits allowed by the wheels?
All Campagnolo wheels are constructed to meet the highest standards of resistance and durability. If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly. If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections. Using tires with a larger diameter and a frame that respects the standards will help to increase the lifetime of the wheels.

According to Campagnolo, he OK, with a little to spare against the max, but should use caution.

For a 13 year old wheelset, would be more concerned about the rim wear, this will obviously depend on how much they have been used & in what conditions, if used in the wet, you can burn through rims quite easily ( have done this with a few Fulcrum 5 & 7 rears, and Fulcrum = Campagnolo), would also expect to replace bearing as these will be the same for Fulcrum, and I never found they lasted too long on the rears.

Last edited by jimc101; 01-21-19 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-21-19, 11:55 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If your friend is concerned enough to ask perhaps (s)he should consider a stronger wheelset. Per jimc101's comment, those wheels were marginal when they were new and have likely not gotten stronger with use and wear.
Old 01-21-19, 12:26 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TallRider
So if a lower-spoke, deeper-dish rim is as strong as standard 32-spoke wheels, he should be okay.
Clue: toy racer hardware is not as strong or durable as conventional hardware.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 01-21-19 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 12:39 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
What type of rider is he? If a masher or one that doesn't avoid rough pavement, probably not a good choice.
Does he have the ability to inspect/tune a wheel or is he one that rides until something is very wrong?
Old 01-21-19, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

Very Briefly.. only..

I'm 220 # , I would not ride them , maybe for a bike you just hang on a wall in your large bike collection room.. and display..

at 120 #, I'd only use them for a short time trial day then put something else on..

and ... you have a history mystery on your hands.. of what happened to them in the past 13 years..
Old 01-21-19, 04:15 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
I have Zondas of the same vintage. They have been on my primary bike and I love them. I was concerned at first about how durable they would be, but they have been most durable wheels I have ever ridden. Probably 30,000 miles on them on all types of road surfaces. At 190-95 lbs. I am not a lightweight. I have raced them and day toured on them with no issues .
Old 01-21-19, 04:18 PM
TallRider

My friend tends to be a lower-rpm pedaler, which optimizes his strengths (can squat over 400#) and minimizes the downside of having such heavy legs (more work to spin them quickly).

I know the current owner of the bike, and the bike has been well cared-for and hasn't seen a lot of use. I'm comfortable on that front, in a way that I generally wouldn't be about a used botique wheelset.
I don't care for the Zondas, and they're not what I'd want on a bike for my 220# buddy. They just happen to be on the bike, and with Campy 10-speed it's more expensive to get a new wheelset than with 8/9/10 Shimano-compatible wheels. (A Shimano-type wheelset and cassette with a travel agent for rear der is another option if my friend buys this bike.)

I'm leaning away from this unless I can get a different (more standard) wheelset. My friend would be a good match for Sun CR18 (36 rear, 32 front) standard wheelset.
Old 01-21-19, 05:27 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Campy Zonda is a tough wheelset. Made very well back to 2006. Campy is being conservative, as they should be. Mashing is hard on any wheel (any bike). I'd not worry much if at all. Perhaps tell your friend to usethe bike as aerobic workout rather than as alternative to weightroom. Everyone should spin more.
Old 01-21-19, 05:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your bud, may want to follow the UCI current preference for carbon flat disc rear wheels .. It's what the Match sprint races on the velodrome use.

that is where those big power legs get compared.. and gold medals won.. 0 to 60kph in 1 or 2 laps...
Old 01-22-19, 12:04 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TallRider
They just happen to be on the bike, and with Campy 10-speed it's more expensive to get a new wheelset than with 8/9/10 Shimano-compatible wheels. (A Shimano-type wheelset and cassette with a travel agent for rear der is another option if my friend buys this bike.)
Campag/Fulcrum use and interchangeable freehub, you may be able to swap this for a Shimano one, although maybe only up to 10 speed for the age of the wheels you have, I did this on my Fulcrum 5's, going from Campag to Shimano, which were from the mid '00s.

Last edited by jimc101; 01-22-19 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-19, 05:01 AM
TallRider

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Campy Zonda is a tough wheelset. Made very well back to 2006. Campy is being conservative, as they should be. Mashing is hard on any wheel (any bike). I'd not worry much if at all. Perhaps tell your friend to usethe bike as aerobic workout rather than as alternative to weightroom. Everyone should spin more.
Originally Posted by Pridedog
I have Zondas of the same vintage. They have been on my primary bike and I love them. I was concerned at first about how durable they would be, but they have been most durable wheels I have ever ridden. Probably 30,000 miles on them on all types of road surfaces. At 190-95 lbs. I am not a lightweight. I have raced them and day toured on them with no issues .
It's good to hear from people experienced with this wheelset. This makes me a lot more comfortable about my friend using this bike without the effort of changing out the wheels.

When I say my friend is a masher, I simply mean that he pedals at lower RPMs than the average road cyclist. I don't mean that his power application curve is all over the place or that his pedaling stroke is inconsistent. Someone with really heavy (and really powerful) legs is actually inefficient to spin at super high RPMs, because the effort to move heavy legs must be taken into account.