Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

iPhone OS 4.0 is out, and no cycling directions in the Maps application!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 12:55 PM
nanter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Google has had this capability for how long now, and Apple bases their Maps application on Google maps. Yet no bicycle maps in this revision. I am a big Apple fan, but this clear omission screams that they don't care about those of us who rely on our bicycle for transportation.

Old 06-21-10, 02:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't think they meant to slight cyclists. Software development tends to be a grab bag; lots of people will request new features, and teams at Apple ( and elsewhere ) will pick several of them that they can implement and test before the next release. Especially with the new toy they released, they probably haven't decided that it was the best use of their resources to write that feature.
Old 06-21-10, 02:57 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't think they meant to slight cyclists. Software development tends to be a grab bag; lots of people will request new features, and teams at Apple ( and elsewhere ) will pick several of them that they can implement and test before the next release. Especially with the new toy they released, they probably haven't decided that it was the best use of their resources to write that feature.
Like the teams at Google, who included bike directions on their app on the Android, for example?

I used to work in software; I know all about prioritizing feature improvements. That they did not prioritize this one shows that they think it is unimportant, even when their competitors are including such improvements.
Old 06-21-10, 03:03 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Does that mean that Apple is part of the Great Motorist Conspiracy Against Cyclists™?

-Kurt

Old 06-21-10, 03:58 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Does that mean that Apple is part of the Great Motorist Conspiracy Against Cyclists™?

-Kurt
Maybe! But for the sake of my stock, I hope not!
Old 06-21-10, 05:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by nanter
Like the teams at Google, who included bike directions on their app on the Android, for example?
Um ... the fact that a web page has this for free, and their device lets you view that web page, probably knocked it down a peg or two in terms of priority. Try to remember that the teams at Google work at Google, but the iPhone is made by Apple, which is a different company. What I'm saying is Apple didn't make bike maps because they want to make money, not because they want to alienate cyclists.

Can you save the Google directions you like, maybe as a kml file, and import them into your iPhone as any other route?
Old 06-21-10, 05:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Google has had this capability for how long now, and Apple bases their Maps application on Google maps. Yet no bicycle maps in this revision. I am a big Apple fan, but this clear omission screams that they don't care about those of us who rely on our bicycle for transportation.

Kinda curious, what percentage of "us who rely on our bicycle for transportation" would have the slightest problem doing just that if they never, ever gain access to bicycling info or Google Maps on their cell phone?

Sorry, no crocodile tears from me for this "problem."
Old 06-21-10, 06:11 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Um ... the fact that a web page has this for free, and their device lets you view that web page, probably knocked it down a peg or two in terms of priority. Try to remember that the teams at Google work at Google, but the iPhone is made by Apple, which is a different company. What I'm saying is Apple didn't make bike maps because they want to make money, not because they want to alienate cyclists.

Can you save the Google directions you like, maybe as a kml file, and import them into your iPhone as any other route?
Yes, you can use the web access to reach google maps, but usability goes way down.

I pointed out Google's inclusion of this feature on the Android platform to show that Apple's competitors are implementing such features, which would lead one to believe that it incentivizes the same from Apple.

Apple would retain people like me by including this feature, thus making money. Whether there is a large enough market in people like me is debatable, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't give me an incentive to change platforms.
Old 06-21-10, 06:13 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Kinda curious, what percentage of "us who rely on our bicycle for transportation" would have the slightest problem doing just that if they never, ever gain access to bicycling info or Google Maps on their cell phone?

Sorry, no crocodile tears from me for this "problem."
What's your point, JA? I navigated just fine without such a feature, and will continue to navigate just fine even though they didn't make this improvement. It's something I, and many other iPhone users and bike commuters would like to see on the iPhone. Google felt it was valuable enough to add to google maps and to the Android. I would have thought Apple would have recognized the value as well.
Old 06-21-10, 08:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I would have thought Apple would have recognized the value as well.
Apparently you thought wrong.

Maybe Apple did recognize the actual value of this "feature" for people "who rely on their bicycle for transportation" and/or Apple's bottom line and decided it had insignificant value added for both at this time.
Old 06-21-10, 08:07 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently you thought wrong.

Maybe Apple did recognize the actual value of this "feature" for people "who rely on their bicycle for transportation" and/or Apple's bottom line and decided it was worthless for both at this time.
So Google has limited business acumen for doing the same, huh?

Is there some reason you keep quoting "who rely on their bicycle for transportation?"
Old 06-21-10, 08:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Is there some reason you keep quoting "who rely on their bicycle for transportation?"
It is your construct ain't it?, Doncha like it anymore?
I'm curious as to which slice of the bicycling population you think both rely on their bikes for transportation (like you claim about yourself) and would have much practical use for such a feature.
Old 06-21-10, 08:16 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is your construct ain't it?, Doncha like it anymore?
I'm curious as to which slice of the bicycling population you think both rely on their bikes for transportation (like you claim about yourself) and would have much practical use for such a feature.
Construct? It's merely something I said.

Fine, you can feel free to expand the population to those who use their bicycles as one of many forms of transportation. Is that better?

I really don't understand why you feel the need to constantly be an a$$hole around here. You come into pretty much every thread populated by people that choose to live a different lifestyle than you and pick fights with them. I wish Apple would not put me in a position where I consider changing to a different platform. If that's not something that you care about, which you clearly don't, why come into a thread like this and try to pick a fight with me? What did I ever do to you?
Old 06-21-10, 08:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You come into pretty much every thread populated by people that choose to live a different lifestyle than you and pick fights with them.
Really? What kind of "different lifestyle" might that be? Is it a lifestyle that includes relying on an Apple IPhone to guide a "lifestyle" pioneer through the urban wilderness on his bicycle.

Your OP would have been amusing as the nerdish whining of an Apple Fan Boy for a new gadget, but you chose to associate it with some sort of imaginary bicycling "lifestyle" requirement.
Old 06-21-10, 08:45 PM
nanter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? What kind of "different lifestyle" might that be? Is it a lifestyle that includes relying on an Apple IPhone to guide a "lifestyle" pioneer through the urban wilderness on his bicycle.

Your OP would have been amusing as the nerdish whining of an Apple Fan Boy for a new gadget, but you chose to associate it with some sort of imaginary bicycling "lifestyle" requirement.
Why can't you answer the question? Why do you go into all of these threads and try to pick fights?

The different lifestyle is one where I do not use the standard mode of transportation that the vast majority of the population here uses. I never claimed to be a "lifestyle" pioneer, and I never claimed an "imaginary bicycling 'lifestyle' requirement."

I merely said I would like to have bicycling directions on the iPhone!

Just because someone says they use a bicycle for transportation does not mean that they are proselytizing or self-righteous, yet you seem to generalize that upon anyone and everyone here that does not own a car. Your constant sarcasm and mocking serve as nothing but trolling and flamebait, and provide no contribution to any discussion.

You target people like me, who don't even fall into the category of the group of evangelists that you strangely, seemingly loathe. Again I ask; what did I do to you? What is your f'ing problem?

Last edited by nanter; 06-21-10 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 09:14 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, Google's bicycle directions are terrible in Denver. I'd much rather carry the local bike map with me.

Also, nothing beats knowing the streets in your area. Which might be the point ILTB is getting at. I know the routes way better than Google does.

Only thing Google maps is really useful for is the public transit directions. Helps to have the schedules all programmed into it.
Old 06-21-10, 09:26 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Nexus One has had it for a while now. And yes, I have used it. L.A.'s a huge town, knowing the best way to get somewhere is easier with the map app.
Old 06-22-10, 04:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You target people like me, who don't even fall into the category of the group of evangelists that you strangely, seemingly loathe. Again I ask; what did I do to you? What is your f'ing problem?
You posted a whiny rant about an insignificant problem for any cyclist; it was duly noted; get over it. I suggest you seek help for a low threshold for persecution problem. This advice is free and worth every penny of it.
Old 06-22-10, 04:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mikeshoup
Also, nothing beats knowing the streets in your area. Which might be the point ILTB is getting at. I know the routes way better than Google does.
Exactly. Especially good advice for anyone who relies on his bicycle, rather than his phone, for transportation.
Old 06-22-10, 05:56 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
You posted a whiny rant about an insignificant problem for any cyclist; it was duly noted; get over it. I suggest you seek help for a low threshold for persecution problem. This advice is free and worth every penny of it.
But what do you get out of being snarky and cranky all the time? It seems like you consider it your mission to save the world from cyclists you find annoying, and to do so in the most irritating way possible. Jeez man, get over it, move on, don't let it get to you so much.

Even when you're right it's like you try to be as disagreeable as possible.
Old 06-22-10, 06:11 AM
Tarkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah but you can get walking directions. How different would be directions for walking be from cycling? It would avoid any interstates or toll ways. I suppose the only downside would be the projected time it takes to get to your destination, but then if you just look at the distance that is easy enough to guess. Just be glad you have an iphone and can get gps directions from the palm of your hand.
Old 06-22-10, 06:56 AM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Google's walking and cycling directions both suck.

Just sayin'..
Old 06-22-10, 07:18 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Construct? It's merely something I said.

Fine, you can feel free to expand the population to those who use their bicycles as one of many forms of transportation. Is that better?

I really don't understand why you feel the need to constantly be an a$$hole around here. You come into pretty much every thread populated by people that choose to live a different lifestyle than you and pick fights with them. I wish Apple would not put me in a position where I consider changing to a different platform. If that's not something that you care about, which you clearly don't, why come into a thread like this and try to pick a fight with me? What did I ever do to you?
ILTB is a bit of a technological luddite and a curmudgeon... He has ridden a bike for transportation in a variety of locations including Germany, and he has a regular route for which he has customized a bike to fit his commute... he does indeed "rely on a bike for transportation."

But ILTB fails to jump on the bandwagon of what may be "the lastest fad" whether it really does benefit cyclists or not, and at times ILTB has a hard time envisioning that cycling in a dynamic modern city for dynamic young people may entail such things beyond riding the same old route daily.

ILTB does serve to ground us sometimes in fits of taking a look at reality, but his overall style is that of the old man saying "eh, done that sonny... whatcha think, you invented it?"

He probably still uses the same old map that he drew with an old Bic pen to reach the destinations that are important to him... and out in Iowa, things tend to move at a pace where that works just fine.

Me, I still ride and prefer the bike I built back in '84... so I ain't no hipster either. On the other hand, I did just put on a brand new saddle... whoo hoo! Oh, and I use a Blackberry... Not being a big fan of the AT&T network... And bike maps... well goggle does have an app for Blackberry... and any street that gets me there, will do just fine, at least until real "tricorders" are invented. GRIN

Last edited by genec; 06-22-10 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 07:52 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
ILTB is a bit of a technological luddite and a curmudgeon...
I think the word you're looking for is misanthrope.
Old 06-22-10, 09:57 AM
Seattle Forrest

... but that doesn't mean that it doesn't give me an incentive to change platforms.
I like my Garmin. If you're thinking about buying a different GPS, give some thought to getting a dedicated one. What that will let you do ( for cycling purposes ) over a cell phone, is to use a heart rate monitor and cadence sensor. It will also be ruggadized and waterproof. I don't know where you live, but I spent several hours riding in the rain on Sunday, and would be pretty uncomfortable doing that with a phone mounted to the handlebars. ( Or to the hull of my kayak. )

If you really want routing capability, you might be better off to use your phone as a phone ( and a mobile browser ) but also to get a GPS. It's expensive, but in the long run, it's going to cost a lot less than buying a new phone and contract every time somebody puts a new feature out.

I check the maps on my GPS when I get myself lost, too ... or on long stretches of road where every block looks the same, and I need some perspective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.