Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Derailleur Recommendations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 12:03 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts

I cannot get my Rear Derailleur adjusted. I think it is just worn out. It has a lot of play at the swivel post and the cage doesn't look all that straight. I think I need a new Derailleur. What derailleurs do ya'll recommend that would be the best value for the money?...Thanks,mjac
Old 01-21-20, 12:07 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
This begs for more information.

What do you mean by swivel post and rear derailleurs need to be compatible with the rest of your drivetrain.
Old 01-21-20, 12:19 PM
Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Road bike or mountain bike? If the road bike; shimano 105, if the mountain bike; Shimano XTR M9100.
Old 01-21-20, 12:21 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Your rear derailleur has to be compatible with your shifter. Without knowing what shifter and rear derailleur you currently have it is impossible to recommend anything
Old 01-21-20, 02:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
Anything you can steal.
Old 01-21-20, 06:54 PM
mjac

I was nowhere near descriptive enough. It is a 15 year old Schwinn Varsity Road Bike with the polished aluminum frame. It has a 14 - 28 Shimano Original Equipmet Replacement 7 speed free wheel, a 52T Shimano BioPace Chain Ring, a Shimano Acera Rapid Fire Shifter mounted horizontally on the aero bars and an old Shimano Journey Shifter that was bought used. By the swivel post I mean the axle that the derailleur swivels on forward and backward to take up the slack in the chain.

After I posted I looked on Amazon again and searched Acera since that is the type of shifter I have. I found an Acera Mountain Bike Derailleur RD-M360 that looked more rugged then the others Aceras. In the description it said it has quick,crisp shifts especially with the Acera Shifter. So I called up an Old School Bike Shop, since I talked to them about it earlier and had him order me one. It is supposed to be a step up from the Journey.

What are ya'lls thoughts...Thanks,mjac
Old 01-21-20, 08:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

It's Tourney, which is totally suitable for 7 speed.
As you go up the food chain, DER's get narrower & more finicky as the number of cogs increase.
This can result in more chain rub etc. than the "cheaper" part.
The RD-M360 seems suitable though, since it appears to be listed as 7/8 speed.
Old 01-21-20, 08:36 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I've been using Deore M591 RD's on all my old 7 speed bikes. It's listed for 9 speed drivetrains but, works fine as long as you're using a Shimano SIS or STI 7 speed shifter. And, you can usually find them for $25 to $30 on ebay.
Old 01-21-20, 08:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
I cannot get my Rear Derailleur adjusted. I think it is just worn out. It has a lot of play at the swivel post and the cage doesn't look all that straight. I think I need a new Derailleur. What derailleurs do ya'll recommend that would be the best value for the money?...Thanks,mjac
Make sure your derailleur hangar is straight before you start buying new derailleurs.
Old 01-21-20, 11:12 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
It's Tourney, which is totally suitable for 7 speed.
As you go up the food chain, DER's get narrower & more finicky as the number of cogs increase.
This can result in more chain rub etc. than the "cheaper" part.
The RD-M360 seems suitable though, since it appears to be listed as 7/8 speed.
The Tourney is suitable, I think it is just worn out. Too much play to precise. I picked the Acera because I have an Acera shifter and they say the Acera Derailleur works great with the Acera Shifter. It looks pretty ruggedly built. Don't know what the Bike Shop is going to charge me but Amazon has it for $25.
Old 01-21-20, 11:16 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by ramzilla
I've been using Deore M591 RD's on all my old 7 speed bikes. It's listed for 9 speed drivetrains but, works fine as long as you're using a Shimano SIS or STI 7 speed shifter. And, you can usually find them for $25 to $30 on ebay.
This Derailleur is listed for 7-8 so that should not be an issue.
Old 01-21-20, 11:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

The Tourney is suitable, I think it is just worn out. Too much play to precise. I picked the Acera because I have an Acera shifter and they say the Acera Derailleur works great with the Acera Shifter. It looks pretty ruggedly built. Don't know what the Bike Shop is going to charge me but Amazon has it for $25.
I'm not sure who "they" are, but 9 speed & less mountain components all play pretty well together.
Old 01-21-20, 11:20 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Make sure your derailleur hangar is straight before you start buying new derailleurs.
I have been caught by that before. Nothing was working and the tab was bent over toward the freewheel. I have straightened that thing so many times I am amazed I didn't break it.
Old 01-21-20, 11:48 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'm not sure who "they" are, but 9 speed & less mountain components all play pretty well together.
"They" is Shimano in their product description. They recommend using the Acera Derailleur with the Acera Shifter. That is why I got the Acera Derailleur because I have a Acera shifter. Looks like a pretty solid shifter.
Old 01-22-20, 07:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

If your shifter is shimano 7 speed, any shimano 7, 8, or 9 speed MTB derailleur will work perfectly.
Old 01-22-20, 08:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If your shifter is shimano 7 speed, any shimano 7, 8, or 9 speed MTB derailleur will work perfectly.
Need to know hanger or direct mount.
Old 01-22-20, 08:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Need to know hanger or direct mount.
His bike is 15 years old with a 7 speed Alivio RD. It has a hangar.
Any 9sp or lower Shadow RD will be backwards compatible with hangars.
Old 01-23-20, 05:30 AM
mjac

His bike is 15 years old with a 7 speed Alivio RD. It has a hangar.
Any 9sp or lower Shadow RD will be backwards compatible with hangars.
Over the phone I told the Bike Shop I had a small aluminum tab coming down from the frame that the Derailleur mounted to. He called that a Direct Mount. He said the other is an Axle Mount where the Derailleur mounts directly to the axle. Is this correct. Ya'll keep talking about hanger and direct mount. I assume the hanger is the small aluminum tab and Direct Mount is to the axle. Seems different from what he said. He might have been just a clerk though not the mechanic. Which one is the correct terminology?
Old 01-23-20, 09:49 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Over the phone I told the Bike Shop I had a small aluminum tab coming down from the frame that the Derailleur mounted to. He called that a Direct Mount. He said the other is an Axle Mount where the Derailleur mounts directly to the axle. Is this correct. Ya'll keep talking about hanger and direct mount. I assume the hanger is the small aluminum tab and Direct Mount is to the axle. Seems different from what he said. He might have been just a clerk though not the mechanic. Which one is the correct terminology?
Direct mount is different from a derailleur hanger though your verbal description to your bike shop could apply to either one.

This website has a description of both.

It sounds like your bike shop is referring to your aluminum hanger as a "direct mount", and a direct mount to the axle as an "axle mount", which is not consistent with the rest of the bike industry.
Old 01-23-20, 11:37 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Direct mount is different from a derailleur hanger though your verbal description to your bike shop could apply to either one.

This website has a description of both.

It sounds like your bike shop is referring to your aluminum hanger as a "direct mount", and a direct mount to the axle as an "axle mount", which is not consistent with the rest of the bike industry.
Exactly, the guy on the phone repeatedly referred to the derailleur mounted to the tab or hanger as Direct Mount and the derailleur mounted to the axle as axle mount. Even after I asked him because it did not make sense. The website also explained what backward mount is which I did not understand when it was mentioned in the forum.