Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else baffled by Rivendell's photos?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone else baffled by Rivendell's photos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 10:59 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
It's got 650B's and upright bars. Fight me.

-Kurt

Old 05-22-20, 11:30 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

-Kurt

Poor man's gp.
Old 05-22-20, 11:37 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Yea man...
Old 05-22-20, 11:53 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

This one has an IGH and no disc brakes. Therefore, it's better than Grant or Jan's fetish bikes. So there.

Sorry, ran out of box jokes.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-22-20, 11:58 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Grant Petersen.
Guaranteed 10 page thread.
Old 05-22-20, 12:16 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Grant Petersen.
Bump.
Old 05-22-20, 12:16 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've seen a number of anecdotal reports that vintage mountain bikes are becoming more desirable. Maybe G.P. is trolling the forum for market trends. Or his Country and Hilly bikes are what he's making money on right now. The demographic that can afford one may also be less interested in riding in traffic. There are also a number of "road" bikes now available from other brands that are Rivendell'ish in form and function, but with out the lugs and paint. I myself have very much gravitated to bikes of the "style" and occasionally chime in with this exact sentiment on these weird love or hate G.P. threads. As a consumer you can choose to purchase the product. As far as influencing the Brand... I'm sure plenty of ink has been wasted critiquing Queen Elizabeth's choice of pocketbook over the years......
You're even seeing stuff like Rapha's marketing move toward more a "bike riding is nice" when five years ago it'd be all roadie suffering "pain is weakness leaving" aesthetic.

Also, regarding the chainstays length of his bikes, check out this MB2...

Last edited by sheddle; 05-22-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 12:21 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Rivendell has always struck me as being surprisingly bad at internet marketing. Especially for a Northern California company.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-22-20, 12:31 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Grant Petersen.
OP has Grant Petersen in an empty box, therefore this entire thread is a troll.

Discuss.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-22-20, 12:36 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Love Grant's perspective on cycling. Nice, functional bikes for everyday riding. Inspired me to build up a mid-80's Trek MTB into a great around-town bike.

Some things, though, I just don't get (a common feeling if you've followed their business model over the years).

They are selling the most bottom of the barrel derailleur possible, a $10 steel SunRace unit but their most budget-friendly seatpost is $85?

Weird ways to cheap out.
Old 05-22-20, 12:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts

Discuss.

-Kurt
I ain't opening it, and you can't make me.
Old 05-22-20, 01:08 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Grant Petersen.
its how we know he is relevant.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-22-20, 01:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
The nice, functional bikes for everyday riding are already available in bike stores everywhere: aluminum hybrids. I started on a Helyett track bike in the mid-'60s and rode more than my share of beautiful Reynolds and Columbus steel bikes over the decades, but I use an '87 Cannondale M600 set up with street tires for my city riding.

Steel is fine, but I find it mysterious that those hybrids are invisible as far as Grant and some C&Vers are concerned.
Old 05-22-20, 01:22 PM
sheddle

Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Love Grant's perspective on cycling. Nice, functional bikes for everyday riding. Inspired me to build up a mid-80's Trek MTB into a great around-town bike.

Some things, though, I just don't get (a common feeling if you've followed their business model over the years).

They are selling the most bottom of the barrel derailleur possible, a $10 steel SunRace unit but their most budget-friendly seatpost is $85?

Weird ways to cheap out.
I actually get Grant's love for the Atlus M310, beloved by frankenbike builders everywhere, but I'm not quite sure about what looks like another Chinese clone of the 60s Shimano Skylark.
Old 05-22-20, 01:58 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The nice, functional bikes for everyday riding are already available in bike stores everywhere: aluminum hybrids. I started on a Helyett track bike in the mid-'60s and rode more than my share of beautiful Reynolds and Columbus steel bikes over the decades, but I use an '87 Cannondale M600 set up with street tires for my city riding.

Steel is fine, but I find it mysterious that those hybrids are invisible as far as Grant and some C&Vers are concerned.
a lot of the alu hybrids are actually pretty decent- Cannondale and trek stand out as better than most. The issue (that your m600 does not have) is so many were given a really ****ty front suspension fork that invariably fails- feels cushy and nice when you pull out of the shop-- but turns to a brick in 3 years and the whole bike gets dumped.

Last edited by jetboy; 05-22-20 at 04:41 PM.
Likes For jetboy:
Old 05-22-20, 02:48 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts

Weird ways to cheap out.
Not cheaping out. This blog post explains it.

'We are now selling these. They work great on a bike with cogs up to 28t. But I suspect you won't be nervy enough to do that, since you already have a good rear der that shifts to 36t. So buy this as an exectutive desktop doodle-toy, and fiddle with it and learn a ton about rear derailers that you can't learn just shifting them. Ten dollars. Here.'
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-22-20, 03:21 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
If we do not open the box, it is impossible to know whether or not Grant Petersen is in the box.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 05-22-20, 03:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Because they duplicate the perfectly serviceable city bicycle that they destroyed in the early 1980's, only less adequately. Hybrids exist as manufacturers' responses to people who bought into the 1980s-90s MTB trend and realized that their fancy new active leisure machine was uncomfortable and slow when they used them around the neighborhood.

As such, because of people using them for fashion rather than their intended purpose, the completely unsuitable MTB had it's headtube shoved into the sky, its effective top tube length abnormally smushed to avoid the granny connotations of the North Road handlebar, and its wheels swapped out for fat 700C's. And so was born the clunky hybrid.

Thus, not only did our choices for a commuter bicycle get relegated to a bicycle reverse-engineered by the marketing department to satisfy a bunch of fad-following dummies, the trend had also convinced people throughout the US that bicycle riding was uncomfortable and difficult.

Not quite the reputation that makes for a bike that's universally liked here at C&V.

And while the hybrid did improve upon the city bicycle in regards to braking, that's all it did. Front rack mounting became impossible on some bikes thanks to clunky suspension forks, others were designed with not a thought for fenders, they tend to come with creaky and bendy adjustable stems, and the short top tubes prevent the most comfortable commuting bar known to humankind - the North Road - from being mounted.

Oh, and most casual riders are still trying to figure out why there are two shifters on the bike, why they do what they do, why they don't shift when stopped, and why they always seem to make noise - all problems caused by throwing out the city bicycle's IGH hub.

Granted, hybrid design of the last 10 years has also morphed back towards the city bicycle (and I think Trek's Electra was the catalyst to convince bicycle manufacturers that the city bicycle still had a healthy potential market), but someone looking towards Rivendell isn't going to be considering these options.

Incidentally, the same exact parallel can be found in car culture. Enthusiasts hate CUVs because they were born out of SUVs - and SUVs exist because trend followers felt the station wagon didn't have enough testosterone for their tastes. Yet, the station wagon remains perfectly acceptable, and in many ways superior to the modern trend-driven replacements.*

EDIT: I just read Grant's post about fronti-techno after writing this. It's interesting how both of our arguments run similar tangents.

Weird ways to cheap out.
That ****ty SunRace RD is the closest thing you can buy today to a Campagnolo Rally 2nd-gen RD with a sprung B-pivot - which alone probably makes it shift better than the oh-so-virginal Campy.

It may not have the cool factor, but it's perfect fodder for C&V luddites (and Grant's user base) who resent modern derailers enough that they'd rather run this instead.

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
If we do not open the box, it is impossible to know whether or not Grant Petersen is in the box.
Call him.

-Kurt

*Cargo bikes are even better.

Last edited by cudak888; 05-22-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 03:49 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Grant Petersen.
You're wrong! ~ everyone on this thread.

Kidding, of course. We keep it respectful here and might even let each other influence our beliefs. I love that. We're able to have productive discourse here unlike the rest of America's conversations. It's so fascinating to me how much conversation GP generates. I wish for his sake it would translate into $$$!
Likes For tricky:
Old 05-22-20, 04:33 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I don't mind Rivendell's marketing, nor their frame design or parts spec. I think both make sense as elements of Grant's philosophy - bicycles should be a part of your everyday life, not just tools for racing. That's why the frames are designed for comfort, traction, and cargo utility. That's also why their social media has just as many pictures of Rivendell customers and employees as it does the bikes.

I personally don't love the aesthetic of the bikes. I don't mind the geometry, but the rococo, faux-vintage lug design irks me. Plop some scrolly, ornate lug onto your frame and you're guaranteed to delight steel bike hipsters who have never heard the word "Nervex" but profess to "love lugs." Perhaps that is a cynical way of describing my issue with it, but what I'm trying to say is that the lug design has no sense of history. There's no sense of aesthetic dialogue with what inspired it. I think this is a problem with modern investment cast lugs generally, but with Rivendell it really shouts it in your face.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 05-22-20, 04:54 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
It seems to me that 9 out of 10 people I see riding never use the drops, don't ride that far, and aren't going that fast. It doesn't really make sense for these regular people to be on racing bikes. Also, cyclists are increasingly being pushed off the roads, due to increased number of cars, distracted drivers, higher traffic speeds, and the disappearance of wide shoulders to ride on. I think this has pushed Rivendell to more of a do everything kind of bike.

The current aesthetic it seems to me is sort of an updated modern version of the pre war bikes like my grandfather rode. There were a lot fewer paved roads then. In a way, that makes a lot of sense for today's conditions.

I enjoy my 'starter' Rivendell. It's great for cruising old dirt roads and fire trails, or for when I just want to go out for a pleasant ride and not worry about racing anyone. It puts me in a mindset to, well, just ride.

Hmm, I've found the opposite to be true. Long chainstays really help keep the front end from hopping on steep inclines offroad or otherwise. The long wheelbase makes the bike very stable and pleasant to ride over rough terrain. My Clem Smith certainly isn't as suited to super rough single track as a modern full suspension MTB, or trials, or anything like that, but it's perfect for my uses.

Nice pic, especially with the Columbus dove photobomb.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-22-20, 04:59 PM
sheddle

IIRC the Bianchi Milano was also a really successful modern city bike, one of quite a few forward thinking Sky Yeager Bianchi USA designs.

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
.I personally don't love the aesthetic of the bikes. I don't mind the geometry, but the rococo, faux-vintage lug design irks me. Plop some scrolly, ornate lug onto your frame and you're guaranteed to delight steel bike hipsters who have never heard the word "Nervex" but profess to "love lugs." Perhaps that is a cynical way of describing my issue with it, but what I'm trying to say is that the lug design has no sense of history. There's no sense of aesthetic dialogue with what inspired it. I think this is a problem with modern investment cast lugs generally, but with Rivendell it really shouts it in your face.
​​​​​​​I generally agree with this, and I think it's the history of Bridgestone that does it for me. Maybe it isn't compatible with a handmade custom frame company, but I love the "clean", no nonsense look of Japanese road and city bikes, another country which has a history of cycling descending from everyday riding, rather than bikes which were made to emulate racing machines like the US, and always wished he had carried on that tradition rather than his gallic-flavored ornate look.

Last edited by sheddle; 05-22-20 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 05:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts

If Bogie were around today, he would ride this. I wouldn't fight him.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-22-20, 05:54 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Plop some scrolly, ornate lug onto your frame and you're guaranteed to delight steel bike hipsters who have never heard the word "Nervex" but profess to "love lugs." Perhaps that is a cynical way of describing my issue with it, but what I'm trying to say is that the lug design has no sense of history. There's no sense of aesthetic dialogue with what inspired it. I think this is a problem with modern investment cast lugs generally, but with Rivendell it really shouts it in your face.
I love the look of lugs. I have for quite some time but until I started reading threads here, I never knew the name nervex, or, any lugs for that matter. It did not stop me from delighting in the looks of the various ones.
Old 05-22-20, 05:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If Bogie were around today, he would ride this. I wouldn't fight him.
Here's looking at you, kid.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.