Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 04-19-15, 08:23 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
I had a 2006 7.3 and did not think it was ugly. Yes the new FX's are beautiful but the classic versions were not bad.
I'm referring more to my bike in particular with a huge amount of seatpost showing, a stack of spacers and a high angle stem. The bike was simply too small for me and what I had to do to make it fit really detracted from the looks of the bike, in my eyes.
Old 04-20-15, 08:54 AM
marimorimo

Bikes: Pinarello Razha 2015, Trek FX 7.4 WSD 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"My bike is mostly all stock except for the cranks, which I customized to ultra-short 153 mm cranks with a lower-geared chain rings Best decision I ever made, as I am a very short person (5'2) and these cranks are at least 5x more comfortable and usable than my old 170s, no kidding. Although I do wish I had bigger gears (the stock chain rings had slightly higher gearing than what I have now)."

The '14 Trek supposedly comes with a Shimano Acera M391 crank. However the images of the crank "arms" that I see online are different from the arms that came with my bike. My "arms" seem rather long, being 5'6" does this prevent me from pedaling faster, reduce cadence, etc?

Attached is a photo.
I can't tell just by the photo--Shimano Acera M391 cranks comes in either 170 or 175 mm. You could either look up your bike's specs or look at the inside arm of your crank as the length is usually inscribed there. Your cranks look a lot like my old ones (2015 FX 7.4 WSD), by the way.

As to whether your cranks are preventing you from pedaling optimally, only you can really tell. The majority of people use crank lengths of 170-175 mm no matter what their height is with seemingly no problems (plus it's not like they really think about their cranks or have anything to compare with). I did have a dutch bike with shorter 165 mm cranks which I noticed was easier for me to spin compared to my FX so I looked into the possibility of changing my cranks. As to what is the supposed optimal crank length, the lazy way to calculate it is approximately 10% of height, or the more accurate method of 21-21.7% of cycling inseam.

Based on that, I estimate your optimal crank length is at or around 165 mm, which is lucky for you in case you decide to change cranks as there are many available options at that length. Finding other lengths aside from 165, 170, 172.5, 175, or 180 is like searching for a green unicorn. Changing cranks is not that simple and is quite costly (you might need to change the entire crankset with chainrings) so I do not recommend changing cranks unless you really feel held back by your current ones. Also, 5 mm is not that big a difference and you might not even notice it. When I changed my cranks, the difference was 17 mm so it was noticeable. My cadence increased, but it was already quite high even before I changed cranks.
Old 04-20-15, 05:32 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by marimorimo
I can't tell just by the photo--Shimano Acera M391 cranks comes in either 170 or 175 mm. You could either look up your bike's specs or look at the inside arm of your crank as the length is usually inscribed there. Your cranks look a lot like my old ones (2015 FX 7.4 WSD), by the way.

As to whether your cranks are preventing you from pedaling optimally, only you can really tell. The majority of people use crank lengths of 170-175 mm no matter what their height is with seemingly no problems (plus it's not like they really think about their cranks or have anything to compare with). I did have a dutch bike with shorter 165 mm cranks which I noticed was easier for me to spin compared to my FX so I looked into the possibility of changing my cranks. As to what is the supposed optimal crank length, the lazy way to calculate it is approximately 10% of height, or the more accurate method of 21-21.7% of cycling inseam.

Based on that, I estimate your optimal crank length is at or around 165 mm, which is lucky for you in case you decide to change cranks as there are many available options at that length. Finding other lengths aside from 165, 170, 172.5, 175, or 180 is like searching for a green unicorn. Changing cranks is not that simple and is quite costly (you might need to change the entire crankset with chainrings) so I do not recommend changing cranks unless you really feel held back by your current ones. Also, 5 mm is not that big a difference and you might not even notice it. When I changed my cranks, the difference was 17 mm so it was noticeable. My cadence increased, but it was already quite high even before I changed cranks.
Thanks for the info! I believe they are 170mm. I am OK with what I have, just wished they were black instead of silver. BTW I imagine that in Japan you have unique choices in bikes, as you mentioned owning a Dutch bike. Why did you go with Trek?
Old 04-20-15, 06:40 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by marimorimo
To check, I weighed my 15" 7.4 FX WSD yesterday without the kickstand but with all sensors and an empty saddlebag. 12 kg, or 26.5 lbs. Even with the sensors and saddlebag I think 100% stock might be a bit heavier still because I changed my outer ring to aluminum (originally steel) and lost the chain guard. The stock chainrings plus cranks and chain guard are significantly heavier than what I have now.
Thanks for that info.
Old 04-20-15, 07:33 PM
Rsmith11

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big fan of the looks of Trek FX's. Particularly the 7.2 which I will be purchasing soon.

Old 04-22-15, 07:08 AM
nick779

Bikes: 15' Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have any of you replaced the stock Bont H1 Saddle? Every 7 series bike I ride has had that atrocious saddle.

I loved the 7.4 I test rode, but the 7.3 is more in my range.
Old 04-22-15, 07:44 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I struggled with the H1 last year because I thought it felt like the right size, but I never got used to it. It was my first year on the used bike.

This year my 7.3 is sporting a Selle SMP TRK which so far (only about 30 miles total) is working very well for me. I tried one on a friend's bike late last season just to see how it felt (after riding mine for 46 miles and hurting) and it felt great. I rode with cycling shorts all last year, and this year with short rides, I am getting less pain without cycling specific wear... I am looking forward to riding with my shorts!

As with any saddle, what works for me may not work for you.

I have definitely decided that I will assume any saddle on a bike I buy is a throw away item.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-22-15, 08:06 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I physically picked up a 2015 7.4 FX size 17" at a Trek dealer a few days ago to see how heavily it was and I was shocked at how light it was.

From putting together bits and pieces of what I've read, I suspect it was probably around 23 pounds, and if so, I struggle to imagine how light a 16 pound bike would feel.

If anyone has actual weights of their FX, I'd be keen to see them posted in this thread.
Good morning! I have a 2012 7.4FX, with a 17.5" frame. I too noticed how light it felt, so I weighed it by first weighing the bike plus me, ad then weighing just myself. I did that twice to be sure, and the bike weighed 24.6 lbs.

Best regards

Last edited by flan48; 04-22-15 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Left out data
Old 04-22-15, 01:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by flan48
Good morning! I have a 2012 7.4FX, with a 17.5" frame. I too noticed how light it felt, so I weighed it by first weighing the bike plus me, ad then weighing just myself. I did that twice to be sure, and the bike weighed 24.6 lbs.

Best regards
Thank you for that feedback.

When you weighed your bike, was it completely stock from the store, without any additional lights, speedometers, waterbottles etc on the bike?
Old 04-22-15, 02:29 PM
nick779

Bikes: 15' Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I struggled with the H1 last year because I thought it felt like the right size, but I never got used to it. It was my first year on the used bike.

This year my 7.3 is sporting a Selle SMP TRK which so far (only about 30 miles total) is working very well for me. I tried one on a friend's bike late last season just to see how it felt (after riding mine for 46 miles and hurting) and it felt great. I rode with cycling shorts all last year, and this year with short rides, I am getting less pain without cycling specific wear... I am looking forward to riding with my shorts!

As with any saddle, what works for me may not work for you.

I have definitely decided that I will assume any saddle on a bike I buy is a throw away item.
Ill have to keep that in mind, Ive test ridden a handful of bikes and the best stock saddle so far is oddly enough the cheap OVAL 300 saddle on a fuji sportif 1.3 I rode
Old 04-22-15, 04:44 PM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought the 7.3 FX last month in matte black. So far the only mods are red cabling instead of black, and red bottle cages. With internal cabling I wanted it to look like blood vessels. I dig it. Now I'm on a mission to slowly customize it to my own liking, physically. That basically means I want less black and more whatever color.
Old 04-23-15, 08:25 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Looks like the American market at the very least, will get a lovely orange colour option on the 7.4 FX this year.

Trek 7.4 FX - Trek Bicycles in Charlotte NC
Old 04-24-15, 09:01 AM
pitchersduel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
picked up a trek fx 7.3 2015 yesterday. first bike in ages...the matte black looked nice...i decided to go with a volt green...apparently trek recently switched up the green color...it was like a lime green...but this volt green is like neon. LBS had to order one...so wont be able to ride until next week...but still pretty stoked.
Old 04-24-15, 09:21 AM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Looks like the American market at the very least, will get a lovely orange colour option on the 7.4 FX this year.

You like the orange color? A back and orange would be nice.
Old 04-24-15, 10:05 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

You like the orange color? A back and orange would be nice.
Yes, I am a big fan of orange in general.
Old 04-26-15, 08:11 AM
Dirty Red

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3 Lime Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a '15 FX 7.3 Lime Green, I thought the green was a little more unique than the matte black. Call me crazy, but I'm digging it!
Old 04-26-15, 09:37 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I could have gone for that orange, but for $700, I would expect disc brakes, so that probable would have killed it.

QT
Old 04-26-15, 11:41 AM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
I could have gone for that orange, but for $700, I would expect disc brakes, so that probable would have killed it.
You get better components instead.
Old 04-26-15, 04:00 PM
pitchersduel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirty Red
I picked up a '15 FX 7.3 Lime Green, I thought the green was a little more unique than the matte black. Call me crazy, but I'm digging it!
yeah i went with the "volt green" which to me looks more like highlighter yellow...but still. i agree with you...i wanted a little color to the bike...the matte black is sexy, no doubt...but i went with the green
Old 04-26-15, 06:27 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey.
You get better components instead.
Knew someone would come back with that answer. I did miss the carbon fork in the specs. Agree that is a ride improvement. Rest doesn't do much for me, but that is me. So for me, it's not worth it, but your mileage may vary.

QT
Old 04-27-15, 08:51 AM
flan48

Thank you for that feedback.

When you weighed your bike, was it completely stock from the store, without any additional lights, speedometers, waterbottles etc on the bike?
Yes, exactly, as I wanted to know (don't really know why!) its weight without add-ons.
Best regards
Old 04-27-15, 08:56 AM
flan48

I got rid of the stock saddle on my 7.4FX within 2 or 3 weeks, as for me at the time, it was like riding on a brick -just awful. Last year I got rid of my Bontrager CRZ saddle, and after trying a few alternatives, ended up with a Selle Royal Lookin Athletic -love it, as it kind of bridges the gap between a too soft comfort saddle and a too hard, for my type of bike, road saddle.

I also upgraded to Wellgo B-184 platform pedals which have so-called studs or pins that grip like crazy.
In actuality, I even replaced said pins with "grippier" ones from Wellgo!

Best regards
Old 04-27-15, 09:29 PM
johnbash612

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ya'll! This forum helped me pick out my brand new Trek FX 7.4 2015 so thought I'd finally stop lurking and join the FX hype train. I bought the crystal white color. I knew I wanted the 7.4 after I tried the 7.3 and 7.4 back to back. As a heavy set dude, the carbon fork makes a massive difference in bump absorption. I was obsessed with the lime green color available for the 7.3 and assumed I would get that, but I decided to choose the 7.4 for the ride quality. I was still impressed with the crystal white color. Its very clean, and the blue and green accents are subtle and small but super cool. The white color actually has sparkles in it, I've pretty much named my bike Robyn Sparkles. I love that the cables run through the frame in the new design, it makes the bike look very clean and protects those cables from getting banged up. So far I've been extremely impressed with the ride. I've put on about 50 miles which is a lot for me. The ride can be aggressive when you want it to be, and relaxing when you need that too. The seat was uncomfortable at first but I've grown to "settle" with it, its not great, but good enough for my commuting purposes. I had to make some adjustments on my own because I was too lazy to take the bike to my LBS, plus its a great learning experience to learn how to do it. The front brakes got off balance pretty quickly, I had to adjust them. I took my wheel off once or twice carefully and it still happened. My gfs 2014 Trek 7.2 had the exact same issue. I also had to adjust the front derailleur, I had chain rub like nobodies business, so I had to adjust the high/low and actually pull the cable tighter on the derailleur. With that said, the adjustments were damn easy and a great way to learn about my brand new bike. This bike is extremely customizable and has mounting holes in every spot you'd want them to be as a commuter.

I'm a huge fan of this bike, it is the perfect bike for me. Gets me from A to B quickly, has the flexibility for a good exercise loop, and can mount my ridiculous basket for errands I need to run (basket not pictured, I'm embarrassed).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20150416_008.jpg (104.2 KB, 4989 views)
Old 04-27-15, 10:23 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by johnbash612
I'm a huge fan of this bike, it is the perfect bike for me. Gets me from A to B quickly, has the flexibility for a good exercise loop, and can mount my ridiculous basket for errands I need to run (basket not pictured, I'm embarrassed).

Congrats on your new bike, but I really want to see that basket.
Old 04-28-15, 08:46 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Congrats on your new bike, but I really want to see that basket.
Me too...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.