Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any of you have experience using frame saver or other products?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Any of you have experience using frame saver or other products?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 11:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Experience using Frame Saver on a frame or two, sure. Evidence that it has prevented or slowed internal rust in the couple of years since? Ehhh, I'll get back to you.
Old 06-10-16, 01:10 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Neil Young would tend to agree with there.
Old 06-10-16, 01:19 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Ronsonic
Do add a drain hole in the BB shell if there isn't one already there. That can make a big difference especially for bearing life.
I will check, but my old mtn bike that was used mostly for commuting, got somewhere between 20 and 25000km out of a good quality square taper and when I had it open, I don't recall it being overly mucky in the bb area, and don't recall a hole down there. Alu frame but ridden in all kinds of weather, but kept in a garage and cared for.
Seems to me that a hole at bottom of shell would be counter productive.
Old 06-10-16, 06:50 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
Seems to me that a hole at bottom of shell would be counter productive.
Frame builders like Nate Zukas disagree:

Old 06-10-16, 02:31 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Kopsis
that is really cool, what a neat aesthetic way to put in what they obviously think is useful.
again, very cool.
Old 06-10-16, 06:05 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopsis

Yeah, and IIRC, years ago Colnago had an "Ace of Spades" cutout in their bottom bracket shells.
Old 06-10-16, 06:34 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Hi, I'm usually in touring and occasionally in the mechanics section. I've bought a used steel bike that has not been ridden much, but has some little rust issues.
It's a 3 or 4 year old Surly Troll, and I plan to take the hollowtech bb off, partly to learn how to work on them, but also to make sure everything is well greased. I'm going to open up the hubs as well, so that I'm sure of the condition of all the bits and not have any guessing on grease quantity or contamination.
I figure I can pull the fork off and do a frame saver job while it's apart.

It seems that the spray cans of Frame Saver" are not easily found around here, so do you have personal experience using linseed oil, or other products?
No matter what I use, I realise I'll need to be careful of the bb threads and not let them get gummed up.

So from experience, are the canned products worth getting, or are things like Boeshield or linseed going to do a reasonable job?

The bike was kept in a damp barn like structure, there is just a bit of internal surface rust in the tubes, so I figure it's worth taking the time to do this now when I take things apart, and then never think of it again.

Any suggestions, comments or preferences would be good to read.
Thanks
I treated my thin walled bike in 1996 with framesaver when I lived on a sailboat.

Every time I look inside the headtube into the top and bottom tubes, there is no rust. Also from BB to ST and DT
Old 06-10-16, 07:04 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
The benefit of a drain hole may depend on where you live. I became a believer years ago when a relatively new bottom bracket died on me and disassembly found a tablespoon of silt that had somehow washed in there and never left.
Old 06-10-16, 07:42 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
I put boiled linseed oil in my Karate Monkey three years ago but never checked in the tubes
Old 08-29-16, 10:54 AM
djb

update: not sure if I mentioned, but after asking around at various bike stores here in Montreal, and even in some car body shops, I was never able to find either Frame Saver or any Amsoil products, so in the end just ordered a small can of Frame Saver from the states and picked it up eventually when I received some other bike parts from Oregon sent to a US PO box in Vermont close to where friends live.

as many of you said, its pretty much a simple process, I did appreciate having an aerosol can and small tube to easily get it into small holes at ends of the chainstays or whatever. I pretty much used common sense in terms of moving frame all around to ensure the stuff moved around on all surfaces, and waited the suggested couple of days before putting parts back on.

I also did liberally put regular old automotive grease from an old tub I have, all over the bb shell threads and headset areas, and plastic bags over the disc calipers, as indeed the stuff did drip out all over, and I didnt want to have to deal with it in places I didnt want it and be a pain in the keester to get out.

thanks for the all the recommendations.

Was it necessary to do? Probably not, but it was worth the extra time given that I wanted to take apart the Hollowtech bb anyway to see how it works, and I did the drop bar change afterwards, so all the cables+housings were coming off.
Old 08-29-16, 07:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I poured a bunch of frame saver into an old steel frame of mine. Stupidly I didn't remove the BB. The stuff washed the grease out of it pronto and I had to rebuild it. Otherwise it probably worked fine, not that I'd ever had a problem with the frame.
Old 08-29-16, 09:27 PM
djb

Heck, I've done all kinds of moves like that over the years, with cars, motorcycles, bikes, household stuff.
I generally classify myself as a bumbler, often I bumble way through repair things. Such is life and sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself.
Old 08-31-16, 07:35 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Another aviation product that can be used is ACF 50. It is a purple colored liquid about as thick as water. It doesn't put on a thick protective layer like LPS 3 does, but will seep into all the cracks and crevasses that water will get into and work its magic. Over time it will attract dirt but not as fast as the heavier coatings like LPS 3.
Justin
Old 08-31-16, 09:12 AM
djb

thanks for the suggestion, but I'm sure the can of Frame Saver I have will sit on a shelf for the next decade or two....