Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Electronic groupset installation help and suggestions/recommendations

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Electronic groupset installation help and suggestions/recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 09:01 AM
adamant628

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeinxs
We thought long and hard about taking that approach with our new tandem last year. In the end we didn't do it because the XTR front derailleur is limited to a 46 tooth big ring. We love our fast group rides too much for that. We went with Di2 double, 50-34 up front and then 11-34 for our road wheels and 11-42 for our gravel wheels. We find that that's plenty low gearing.

Wire length is not an issue, everything we needed was available from Shimano.
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of the crankset restrictions. Can you point me to where you found the limitations to see if there's anything else I should be considering when picking components?
Old 07-17-20, 09:27 AM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I was wrong. The max chainring is 40 teeth.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...illeur-p44318/

There are ways to get around this. At least one tandem builder makes a modified derailleur hanger that tilts the derailleur so it works with a bigger chainring. You can also build a tapered shim. I explored this but decided I would rather go with the double.
Old 07-17-20, 04:05 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Contrary to the posts above, here is proof of a XTR Di2 triple setup using 48/36/26 rings...

upgrade to triple XTR Di2 and Lightning cranks

We have had zero issues with this setup. My only install issue was that we use a special narrow q-factor crankset which also moved the chainrings inboard and so I needed to create a special FD mount to move the FD inboard as well. Otherwise, no other adapters, shims or whatever.

Our middle 36 chainring will move us along at up to 25mph before needing the big ring and that will get us up to >35mph at which point we tuck and coast. Unless you race, "needing" a gear bigger than 48x11 is somewhat subjective. That said, my single/race bike is geared bigger, but the tandem is a different beast. Our tandem wins the top speed award at > 60mph. Anyone that has ridden with us knows we don't need a bigger gear

Last edited by twocicle; 07-17-20 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 05:41 PM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
Contrary to the posts above, here is proof of a XTR Di2 triple setup using 48/36/26 rings...

upgrade to triple XTR Di2 and Lightning cranks

We have had zero issues with this setup. My only install issue was that we use a special narrow q-factor crankset which also moved the chainrings inboard and so I needed to create a special FD mount to move the FD inboard as well. Otherwise, no other adapters, shims or whatever.

Our middle 36 chainring will move us along at up to 25mph before needing the big ring and that will get us up to >35mph at which point we tuck and coast. Unless you race, "needing" a gear bigger than 48x11 is somewhat subjective. That said, my single/race bike is geared bigger, but the tandem is a different beast. Our tandem wins the top speed award at > 60mph. Anyone that has ridden with us knows we don't need a bigger gear
That's a beautiful bike. The Shimano factory specs are made to be broken. Is that a from scratch mount or a modification of the Calfee mount? Like I said in my post, at least one tandem manufacturer is making it work.