Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

dating vintage French bikes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-04-20, 12:28 PM
Rosbif

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Hi , I am a new member here and this is my first proper post. Over the past few years I've picked up a few older bikes here in France.

Most coming from either Red Cross sales or local Brocantes. The problem I have is identifying some of the bikes; due to poor none original paint jobs etc.

Some of them do have badges; but it's still not easy to get good info.

I have one ladies Peugeot that I believe may be late 40's. I found an online copy of the 1950's catalogue and the 65 PHR is very similar; but some details, such as pump location and the rear brake cable which goes through the frame to the rear caliper. Where as on the 50's model the cable connects to a link cable that goes either side of the tube.

The fact that it is more work to drill and sleeve the frame for the cable to pass through makes me think this is possibly an older design.

I bought this Peugeot as a pair with another bike, a Gent's 4 speed. The derailleur, has a horizontal slide and not a parallelogram design. I found reference to this type of derailleur from the mid 50's, but the bike has been repainted and has no badges to identify it's maker.

I look forward to being able to post photos, but obviously need to post more before access to that.

Any suggestion of where to find info would be welcome in the meantime.

Thanks
Old 06-04-20, 06:31 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,364 Posts
Risbif.

Get some more posts. Max 5 a day. When you hit 10 total please put pictures on. Sounds like some cool bikes!
Old 06-04-20, 06:36 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
Same here... can't wait for some pictures.
Old 06-04-20, 06:43 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
I hear that chocolate and nylon stockings work wonders!-)

Seriously, welcome to the forums and to the interesting addiction of vintage bicyclitis. Though it may take or not take it will take some time to understand the significance of N+1.

To add even more mystery to your hunt, Peugeot bicycles were produced in France and Canada and, perhaps, elsewhere. That fact alone can, and often does, account for different components fitted to a specific machine.

Anyway, tell us about your other bikes, one at a time, to get your ten posts, spread over two days, and then you can post pictures, saving thousands of words by doing so.
Old 06-04-20, 07:51 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Welcome.

You probably already found this, but it is where I check about Peugeot bicycles.

Eager to see pictures.
Old 06-04-20, 08:32 PM
aland2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Identifying Peugeots is notoriously difficult
Old 06-04-20, 09:03 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I hear that chocolate and nylon stockings work wonders!-)
that or a carton of Marlboro....
Old 06-04-20, 10:48 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by aland2
Identifying Peugeots is notoriously difficult
I know a Peugeot when I see one, knowing what year and what model is the hard part!
Old 06-04-20, 10:55 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 154 Posts
Ok, so that’s how it works...so silly. I‘m a newbie and tried to post pix (yeah I’m one of those guys who skips the directions) but I kept getting a message that my post was too big...telling me I had 70,000 characters! Wasted much time trimming my 2 or 3 hundred characters down...still 70,000 according to BF. IT WAS A TRICK TO TEST MY PATIENCE!!!