Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Bought my youngest son a new bike

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-19, 05:53 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

My youngest son is nine and has outgrown his 20 inch BMX bike so my wife and I took him to our local bike shop with his old bike.

I told him to ask the mechanic (a friend of mine) to stretch the frame to the bike fit him.

We got some trade on his old bike and bought him a small frame Raleigh Talus mountain bike. Now that he has gears I can teach him how to ride on the road with me.

My wife and I tried out cruiser style e-bikes and while I can definitely see the advantage to them I can't afford one. My wife also stood over a couple other bikes (mountain and road), but she isn't sure she wants a bike just yet.
Likes For dagray:
Old 09-28-19, 06:11 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
You did a great thing for him. If you or your wife have time, learn if his school has a Safe Route to School program where they teach bicycle riding and/or similar program.
Old 09-28-19, 07:25 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
You did a great thing for him. If you or your wife have time, learn if his school has a Safe Route to School program where they teach bicycle riding and/or similar program.
we are very rural in NE Oregon living in Boardman, and we send him to Ione, OR for school. His school doesn't have a Safe Route program, but that is a great idea.

I did just send an email to his school principal to please get the DMV bicycling and pedestrian rules to the kids (it is a book of rules of the road) so that the kids don't do things like ride against traffic.