Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repair gouge in Vibram sole

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19, 01:55 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

Any idea how to repair a gouge in a Vibram sole? I have a chunk out of the side and center of a lug, cut by my cage-style mountain bike pedals. I've had these boots a total of three weeks and I haven't ridden that much with them, probably 100-160 miles.

I got Vibram because I thought that compound was supposed to last, but now I see that Vibram is not a single compound but a brand which markets dozens of compounds and soles. The boot is Vasque Talus Trek UltraDry. They say the compound is Vibram XS Trek, which isn't listed on the list of compounds that I saw:

https://us.vibram.com/on/demandware....-june-2015.pdf

although it is mentioned in the following link, apparently trading off some durability for grip, hence my situation. (I did go hiking in wet weather yesterday, and I can verify that I kept my footing despite every opportunity to bust my a$$.)

XS Trek

I tried ShoeGoo but that didn't adhere, maybe because the tube is old. I was also thinking epoxy. There's also this StormSure stuff, which mentions curing so may be epoxy-related? Does rubber cure too?

https://www.stormsure.com/index.php/...-15g-tube.html

Any ideas will be very appreciated.

Bike-related because these are supposed to be my riding boots. Looks like I'll be going for different pedals now.

Last edited by rseeker; 11-25-19 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-24-19, 02:08 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Is there a shoe/boot repair cobbler in your area? If Shoo-goo didn't work I'd check with them.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-24-19, 04:47 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
https://sugru.com/
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 11-24-19, 06:59 PM
Groundsloth

Bikes: 2010 Trek GF Paragon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a pair of leather boots with Vibram outsoles resoled by a cobbler. Three months into a yearlong deployment to Afghanistan the outsoles started to separate from the boot. This was a less than ideal situation because Afghanistan. So with a sample size of one my experience with resoling boots has not been positive.
Likes For Groundsloth:
Old 11-24-19, 07:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Ignore it. It will either get worse, or it won't.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-24-19, 08:07 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
That's not where shoes wear out from hiking. So you can hike as much as you want and ride as much as you want and you won't be doubling the wear.

In other words, do nothing.

The only sole repair option that works is a resole (with occasionally mixed results). Yours are not resoleable.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 11-25-19, 02:18 AM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Is there a shoe/boot repair cobbler in your area? If Shoo-goo didn't work I'd check with them.
That's a good idea, I'll try that.

I might ask the cobbler what he/she thinks about slicing off the lug and putting a new one (block of similarly-shaped material) on with glue. It seems to me that I risk tearing off the front side of the damaged lug.

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Getting some.

Originally Posted by Groundsloth
I had a pair of leather boots with Vibram outsoles resoled by a cobbler. Three months into a yearlong deployment to Afghanistan the outsoles started to separate from the boot. This was a less than ideal situation because Afghanistan. So with a sample size of one my experience with resoling boots has not been positive.
Wow - so much less than ideal.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Hard to accept the getting worse scenario with boots that are so new.

It seems like a dental cavity -- a situation that creates the circumstance for its own worsening, unwise to ignore.

Originally Posted by rosefarts
That's not where shoes wear out from hiking. So you can hike as much as you want and ride as much as you want and you won't be doubling the wear.

In other words, do nothing.

The only sole repair option that works is a resole (with occasionally mixed results). Yours are not resoleable.
Thanks. I agree, not resoleable.

Last edited by rseeker; 11-25-19 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-25-19, 07:23 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
From my experience with rubber soles, about all you can do is wear the shoes until the split gets bad enough to let water into your shoes. Then pitch 'em.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-25-19, 08:50 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
as others have said, wear them til they wear out then chunk them. and stop looking at the bottom of your shoes
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 11-25-19, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
IKR. I looked at the photo and thought "Seriously?" Talk about worrying over nothing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-27-19, 09:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
you might snip that little curved part which might help prevent it catching on the pedal?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-27-19, 04:00 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
From my experience with rubber soles, about all you can do is wear the shoes until the split gets bad enough to let water into your shoes. Then pitch 'em.
Yep! Glue rarely holds onto Vibram or any bendy stretchy material for any reasonable amount of time. It is emergency only. Water entry will compromise the entire sole adhesive and/or stitching (but stitching that can be renewed by a good shoemaker.)

Shoe goo is great for sneakers, etc. With real Vibram soles I would slice off the damaged lug to get a smooth surface (no crack) to prevent the cracks getting deeper. I did that with a pair of field boots and they are still good to go after about 14 well-cared for years. They were are my favorite field/hiking boot, full leather with kangaroo upper shaft and are light, foot formed and now unavailable. My damage was in the outer edge near where a pedal may hit.

I avoid pinned pedals for the reason that they can damage soles (and shins and calves).