Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reliable and Competent Alberta Vintage Bicycle Restoration Services

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 04:36 PM
PeakFreak

Bikes: 1986 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Hello, I am asking for all your help in locating a competent vintage bicycle restorer in Alberta, Canada to restore my 1985 Pinarello Montello. I am nervous about shipping!
I need the following services done:
1. Remove the Mavic Headset (which need special Mavic tools) safely and without damage.
2. Remove the 1 stripped Dust cap for Mavic Crankset and then remove the Crankset and clean/grease.
2. Touch up the the 4 colour Arco LA 84 paint scheme(Red, Yellow, Blue, White) and apply supplied decals. If not able to match paint, I may be persuaded to have all paint stripped, remove any frame rust if any, repaint and redecal to original specs.
3. Regrease and reassemble all components to frame.

Below are the frame and components list.

‪Frame: 1985 Montello, Columbus SLX with Campy dropouts‬, Top Tube internal cable routing, Pinarello Initials pantographed
‪Head Tube Badge: Pinned Metal Badge - not a decal ‬
Headset: Mavic 310 or 312 - 1985
Forks: Columbus, chrome, Pinarello pantographed

Complete Mavic Groupset -1984 or 85
‪Crankset: ‬Mavic 630 ‪ ‬9/16" x 20 (English)
Chainrings: Mavic 144BCD 42-53
Brakes: Modolo Master Pro
Brake levers: Modolo Master Pro
Rear Derailleur: ‬Mavic 851 SSC
Hubs: Mavic 580 CX
Rims Mavic MA40‬

‪Rear Cassette: Regina ‬- Extra BX 13-21
‪Handlebars: Cycloman Mod. Starling‬
‪Stem: Pinarello‬ stamped

‪Seatpost: American Classic‬
‪Saddle: Super Turbo‬
‪Tires: Michelin Krylion 700 x 23C‬

I look forward to any help you may be able to give.
Thanks very much.
Old 05-09-20, 05:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
i know you have the other thread going.... but may I suggest just find a shop versed in C&V bikes and have then do the mechancal.... you can help by sourcing hard to find things like dustcaps, brake hoods etc. wash and wax the frame and keep the wear and tear. then if if ever becomes a wall hanger (but don't sell your self short...keep on it as long as possible and look at other bikes pedal assist, trike etc to keep going longer) it is a piece of your history with wear tear and all just a thought

Old 05-09-20, 05:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Maybe reach out to all/most of the shops in your area and ask, dial in your spidey sense and maybe two of them recommend the same thing, research that.

Funny the shop you went to just botched it and offered no resolution or other help, I would have encouraged them to help figure something out before I left.

I always ask who the "vintage" guy is when I walk in then have a "spirited" conversation to suss out their level of enthusiasm and skill.

If the 20-30 something year old walks up and and says um or huh? I move on as I am usually looking for another opinion about something I have minimal specific experience with before I dig in.

Not that there aren't plenty of competent lads out there but many of them do not embrace C+V much if at all for the threadless, cartridge, disposable situation we find ourselves in.

I will probably never embrace modern technology as long as I can preserve, save, prolong and maintain what we have, most of it can live forever with some wit, patience, skill and plenty of good tools.
Old 05-09-20, 05:16 PM
PeakFreak

Originally Posted by merziac
Maybe reach out to all/most of the shops in your area and ask, dial in your spidey sense and maybe two of them recommend the same thing, research that.

Funny the shop you went to just botched it and offered no resolution or other help, I would have encouraged them to help figure something out before I left.

I always ask who the "vintage" guy is when I walk in then have a "spirited" conversation to suss out their level of enthusiasm and skill.

If the 20-30 something year old walks up and and says um or huh? I move on as I am usually looking for another opinion about something I have minimal specific experience with before I dig in.

Not that there aren't plenty of competent lads out there but many of them do not embrace C+V much if at all for the threadless, cartridge, disposable situation we find ourselves in.

I will probably never embrace modern technology as long as I can preserve, save, prolong and maintain what we have, most of it can live forever with some wit, patience, skill and plenty of good tools.
Yep funny but not surprised that the 20-30 year old didn't. It certainly is a different world out there. I'm glad I had and still have the sense to purchase quality products throughout my life, because as you say they last forever!! Sure the cost at first can be staggering but when you have something well made and 10-20 years later all it needs is new soles or new paint, damn it was worth it!!
Take care, going to have dinner and start cleaning the brake components!!
Cheers.
Old 05-09-20, 05:21 PM
PeakFreak

Originally Posted by squirtdad
i know you have the other thread going.... but may I suggest just find a shop versed in C&V bikes and have then do the mechancal.... you can help by sourcing hard to find things like dustcaps, brake hoods etc. wash and wax the frame and keep the wear and tear. then if if ever becomes a wall hanger (but don't sell your self short...keep on it as long as possible and look at other bikes pedal assist, trike etc to keep going longer) it is a piece of your history with wear tear and all just a thought
Yep, still have at least a couple of decades left for riding, and have been sourcing a couple of small vintage shops for maintenance. Just looking at reviews now and will start calling next week!!
Thanks for the input!1
Old 05-09-20, 05:29 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I would offer to help but I don't have any Mavic tools. You could try Mike at Vita Sports on Edmonton Trail.
https://vitasportcycles.ca/shop/ols/.../vintage-bikes
He specialized in Vintage bikes so he would likely be your best bet. I don't know if he does paint. Do let me know if that works for you.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 05-09-20, 05:35 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
I would offer to help but I don't have any Mavic tools. You could try Mike at Vita Sports on Edmonton Trail.
He specialized in Vintage bikes so he would likely be your best bet. I don't know if he does paint. Do let me know if that works for you.
Peak is getting the tools or has them already, sounds like he really just needs a hand, would be awesome if you could help, already great that you have a recommendation for him.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-09-20, 05:50 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by PeakFreak
Yep, still have at least a couple of decades left for riding, and have been sourcing a couple of small vintage shops for maintenance. Just looking at reviews now and will start calling next week!!
Thanks for the input!1
just be forewarned this forum believes in n+1 and we are all enablers.....another idea is in addtion to getting this one in peak condition, you might try to find similar an put modern gear on it.......I know as i get "more experienced" i really like the compact crank, big cassette and dual pivot brake set up...... but still run friction downtube on another bike.

Old 05-09-20, 05:58 PM
merziac

Thanks for the input!1
Reach out to Marinoni if you haven't for recommendations just to see and talk about paint too. They will be glad to help if they can.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-09-20, 05:59 PM
PeakFreak

Hey, many thanks for that!! Had a look at his site and it didn't look like he does the painting but if he could at least let me know if he could remove the headset and crank safely then I would be moving in the right direction. I found one headset tool on ebay, and hopefully will find the other one, then I would be halfway there and able to start the paint and decals. I'll call him tomorrow or Monday.
Thanks very much for your help.
Old 05-09-20, 06:03 PM
PeakFreak

Reach out to Marinoni if you haven't for recommendations just to see and talk about paint too. They will be glad to help if they can.
I thought about that, but figured I would be able to avoid the pain of shipping if I found someone here in Alberta. But I will call them Monday just to see if they are familiar with Mavic headsets and see what could be done paint wise.
Thanks very much.
Old 05-09-20, 06:08 PM
merziac

I thought about that, but figured I would be able to avoid the pain of shipping if I found someone here in Alberta. But I will call them Monday just to see if they are familiar with Mavic headsets and see what could be done paint wise.
Thanks very much.
They are familiar with any and all, doubt there is anything they have not had to wrestle with. They may have a resource closer to you as well but the rec above sounds promising maybe they know him as well.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-09-20, 06:25 PM
PeakFreak

They are familiar with any and all, doubt there is anything they have not had to wrestle with. They may have a resource closer to you as well but the rec above sounds promising maybe they know him as well.
Thanks.
What would be the best way for me to show you a lot of closeup photos of the frame so that you could see what I am facing in regards to what route to go with touch up frame or stripping down to a complete repaint. (which would also let me see it's conditions and if there are any surprises under the paint which might not be great for continued riding)
Should I just post them here or create a web gallery off of my personal site?
Old 05-09-20, 06:32 PM
bikeaddiction1

Thanks for the input!1
That makes you at least 60.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 05-09-20, 06:38 PM
PeakFreak

That makes you at least 60.
HaHa, Somewhat over that milestone but since I'm still skiing and biking I feel younger anyway. And very happy I made it this far!! It never was about how fast you can go but rather how long you can go... Right?
Cheers.
Old 05-09-20, 06:40 PM
PeakFreak

Are you talking about the original Marioni in Quebec? This one? Cycles Marinoni Inc.
I do not see where their services are...
Old 05-09-20, 06:42 PM
PeakFreak

Hey, many thanks for that!! Had a look at his site and it didn't look like he does the painting but if he could at least let me know if he could remove the headset and crank safely then I would be moving in the right direction. I found one headset tool on ebay, and hopefully will find the other one, then I would be halfway there and able to start the paint and decals. I'll call him tomorrow or Monday.
Old 05-09-20, 06:47 PM
bikeaddiction1

HaHa, Somewhat over that milestone but since I'm still skiing and biking I feel younger anyway. And very happy I made it this far!! It never was about how fast you can go but rather how long you can go... Right?
Cheers.
The group I ride with spans from late 50's to 70. Mostly backroads, touring, and mountain biking. You are right, it is not always about the speed.
Old 05-09-20, 07:03 PM
merziac

Are you talking about the original Marioni in Quebec? This one? Cycles Marinoni Inc.
I do not see where their services are...
Yes, that's the one and only, they have been doing this for a very long time and have unequaled experience in every aspect of all things from shipping to refinishing and everything in between.

Look up and watch "The Fire in the Frame", fantastic insight into them and all they do.
Old 05-09-20, 07:08 PM
merziac

Thanks.
What would be the best way for me to show you a lot of closeup photos of the frame so that you could see what I am facing in regards to what route to go with touch up frame or stripping down to a complete repaint. (which would also let me see it's conditions and if there are any surprises under the paint which might not be great for continued riding)
Should I just post them here or create a web gallery off of my personal site?
Not sure, maybe a gallery off your personal site so they would be in a certain place.

Not likely there is anything to keep you from riding it, didn't see anything scary in the pics you posted so far better detail would be good.
Old 05-09-20, 07:15 PM
merziac

Mike at Vitasport lists frame repair services so he will at least have a painter he works with.

He could very well be "the" guy you need for all of this.
Old 05-09-20, 07:50 PM
PeakFreak

The group I ride with spans from late 50's to 70. Mostly backroads, touring, and mountain biking. You are right, it is not always about the speed.
Sweet! Once I get mine up an running I will join the local!
Old 05-09-20, 07:51 PM
PeakFreak

Yes, that's the one and only, they have been doing this for a very long time and have unequaled experience in every aspect of all things from shipping to refinishing and everything in between.

Look up and watch "The Fire in the Frame", fantastic insight into them and all they do.
Great thanks for that, I will do.
Old 05-09-20, 07:52 PM
PeakFreak

Mike at Vitasport lists frame repair services so he will at least have a painter he works with.

I hope so, Cheers.
Old 05-10-20, 08:30 PM
PeakFreak

Thanks again Merziac, also if you are interested I have started adding pics to my website in case you want to see some better "as is" images before the fun begins.
https://www.pmrphotography.ca/bicyclerestoration
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.