Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 09:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
So been getting out everyday for at least a quick 20 or more. Today I was heading home and hit a rough patch of pavement when I heard something fall off. I quickly check that I have both water bottles and tail light when I realized it was my Garmin. So I went back and found it 100 years back. I went to put it back into the mount when and found why it came off. Both of the little ears that had it int he mount broke off. So now there's no way to mount it.

I stopped by Sunrise Cyclery and spoke to Frank, the owner. When I told him is was a 7 year old Garmin 510, he said I was most likely SOL. So I asked if he had a 530 in stock and the answer was yes.

I've had minor isses with the 510 like the battery life and the touch screen stopped working when in the hot sun. So it was time... new 530 is quite different and will take some time to get used to.

Sounds like you were due a new unit.

A thought that they provide a tether in the box. I started using mine when I mt. bike so it stays with then bike.
Old 06-14-20, 09:14 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Sounds like you were due a new unit.

A thought that they provide a tether in the box. I started using mine when I mt. bike so it stays with then bike.
I was happy enough with the old 510... it did want I needed. They do provide a tether but the 1/4 turn holder was enough for 25,000 miles. I think the tether is for your wrist.
Old 06-14-20, 09:30 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

I was happy enough with the old 510... it did want I needed. They do provide a tether but the 1/4 turn holder was enough for 25,000 miles. I think the tether is for your wrist.
I wrap the tether around the h-bar then pass the unit thru, then install on the mount. Keeps the unit with the bike if the mount breaks. If the tabs break, the unit stays with the bike, but ends up back at Garmin eventually for a refurb unit, which is how they deal with broken tabs.
Old 06-14-20, 05:07 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Found a fix for my 510.It's by Dogearsgps and is an aluminum piece that fits over the broken boss. Gonna give it to my son.

https://www.dogearsgps.com/

Old 06-14-20, 05:29 PM
Steve B.

Found a fix for my 510.It's by Dogearsgps and is an aluminum piece that fits over the broken boss. Gonna give it to my son.

Good find !. How does it install >, looks like screws ?
Old 06-14-20, 05:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

2 screws and lots of super glue
Old 06-14-20, 07:44 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
I wrap the tether around the h-bar then pass the unit thru, then install on the mount. Keeps the unit with the bike if the mount breaks. If the tabs break, the unit stays with the bike, but ends up back at Garmin eventually for a refurb unit, which is how they deal with broken tabs.
Yes, this is the way to go.

Since Steve and Glen influenced me to buy one of these devils devices, I feel free to pick your brains regarding a glitch with my Edge Explore; in the "where to?" function, I can't "find address". The first step is "enter state or province". Whatever I put in I get "no results found, try adjusting search parameters". Any ideas?
Old 06-14-20, 10:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Been wanting a garmin for a while but just can't stomach the cost of one when I've got 3 kids and 2 do road, mtb and velodrome; not to mention getting a new bike of my own, just too much to spend on a gadget.

Did hit Bethpage yesterday with the fam to test out a new GoPro 8 that my wife bought on clearance, it's actually for her job but we "had to test how it worked". She didn't let me adjust it on her helmet so we have some amazingly clear video of her front tire spinning down the path. Spent a good hour and we're starting to get down where some of the better loops are and how to link them together.

Today I hit the velodrome with my daughter, we're both doing the KV-Batt online race; race independently at the track and post the race online with weekly results. Got in quite a few laps as there weren't that many people there to begin with.
Old 06-15-20, 05:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Been wanting a garmin for a while but just can't stomach the cost of one when I've got 3 kids and 2 do road, mtb and velodrome; not to mention getting a new bike of my own, just too much to spend on a gadget.
I fully understand, my 510 was around 7 years old and I had no pressing need to replace... until it broke.

My son is 29, has a house and a 2.75 year old and a 2 month old and still uses his 500 which must be 10 years old. I offered the 510, once I repair it and he jumped at the opportunity.I on the other hand am retired and still have income from a home based side business, the the cost was from a repair I just completed and got paid for.

There will be a time that you're kids will be off the payroll and you'll have disposable income to spend on toys..
Old 06-15-20, 07:35 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Yes, this is the way to go.

Since Steve and Glen influenced me to buy one of these devils devices, I feel free to pick your brains regarding a glitch with my Edge Explore; in the "where to?" function, I can't "find address". The first step is "enter state or province". Whatever I put in I get "no results found, try adjusting search parameters". Any ideas?
No useful answer as I've never used this function. When I get a second I'll power up my unit and look at what the 1030 says it can do. I have the manual for the Explore as well.

Don't know if you do FaceBook, but there's a Garmin Edge Users Group where folks might have an answer.
Old 06-15-20, 04:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Got sick and tired of the sand at the Bethpage circle crossing... it must of been over 2" deep.

Took a shovel, broom and leaf blower and fixed it for now. But it will be back after a hard rain.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-15-20, 08:58 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Got sick and tired of the sand at the Bethpage circle crossing... it must of been over 2" deep.

Took a shovel, broom and leaf blower and fixed it for now. But it will be back after a hard rain.
Nice, haven't been thru there in a while so didn't see that, there's a few spots I ride through that could use it but the task would be too daunting.
I'm sure I'll get a garmin or equivalent the next tour I take outside the US. Last tour in Canada not having GPS sucked and my T-mobile didn't work and we sent a bit of time lost. Next year or the year following we want to head to Scotland to ride Hadrian's Wall, visit Sterling Castle and an historical site we help sponsor so I can have an honorary Lordship; I'll want a GPS system at that point.
Old 06-16-20, 03:42 PM
Steve B.

I assume you are wanting the device to plot a route to a known address. On the 1030, I go to Navigation - Search - with all kinds of options for Cities, Addresses, Intersections, Coordinates. If I want an address, I select that and I get the "Enter State/Province", below that I can press on either "Enter State/Province" or below that is "New York". I pressed NY, it gave me the "Enter City/Postal Code" option, that takes me to House Number, than Street. This all works on my device and should as well on the Explore as the manual states it can navigate to a chosen address.

Note that on page 2 of the search I get a bullseye in the lower right that brings up a screen where an option is A Map Point, which is useful if you know the location of a place, but not the town or address, you zoom out, find the location and drop a pin to navigate to. I've used this and it's not terrible but leaves it up to the device to choose the route, which isn't always what you might choose.

Not sure this helps.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-16-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 04:19 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Garmin Drive 52, USB Charger, iPhone, voltmeter, & toggle switches for headlights.

10 watt, 12 volt solar panel atop the aerodynamic tailbox .

I’ve got an automotive Garmin which requires a 12 volt battery. This necessitated installing a solar panel on the bikes fairing to keep the battery charged. Another solar panel and charge controller are on order for my other bike (one of my other bikes). I should get a recumbent, but someone has to do fairings for upright bikes.
I did a nice ride on Friday 12 June, been too exhausted to post about it, sorry for the delay. Rode west on Jericho Turnpike to Jamaica and came home on the train.
Old 06-16-20, 04:38 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

I assume you are wanting the device to plot a route to a known address.......
Yes, but it isn't too important as I can go to the map and drop a pin on a location. 99% of my use of this device is going to be following pre-recorded routes already on file on GarminConnect or RWGPS.

Clearly a glitch though as I can't even enter a state/province and thus cannot progress beyond that point.
Old 06-17-20, 09:58 AM
kaos joe

Wow, 5 days straight! although alas only 2 on a tandem. Will fix that over the weekend. Great weather but not looking forward to the onset of humidity.

Went up to Theodore Roosevelt's home, sadly still closed although the grounds are mostly open. Then swung through town to see if anyone has gotten around to defacing his statue yet. Happily, not.

Sagamore Hill Nat. Historic Site

A placid Oyster Bay Harbor, NY
Old 06-18-20, 06:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

62 miles today, rode to Kings Park.

BTW, drive down Ocean Parkway yesterday to checkout some of the extended path. I see where it crosses the entrances at both Tobay and Gilgo there are just stop signs and the greenery blocks the view to the road with the exception of the last 20 feet. We all know that many are not going to stop and the cars are going to drive right through.

Someone is going to get killed.
Old 06-20-20, 11:53 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Headed north and realized that I just finished one of my two water bottles and only covered 8 miles. Luckily I stopped by a park to see if the bathroom was open so I could fill at the sink, when someone walked by with a case of water bottles and offered on to me.

30 miles and 64oz of water.

Hello Summer.
Old 06-20-20, 12:56 PM
Steve B.

Did a group ride to JB and Tobay.

It wasn’t terribly crowded on the way down, but encountered hoards of people on the return, which was about 10 AM. Too many people for my tastes, including a roadie and runner collision that had Nassau County police and ambulance respond.
Old 06-20-20, 01:07 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

[QUOTE=Steve B.;21544301]Did a group ride to JB and Tobay./QUOTE]
On the weekend... no way.

I say away from the MUPs.
Old 06-20-20, 01:32 PM
Steve B.

[QUOTE=GlennR;21544319]
Did a group ride to JB and Tobay./QUOTE]
On the weekend... no way.

I say away from the MUPs.
Yeah, me too. Haven’t been to the beach since early March. One of the riders goes down regularly and said it’s gotten better. He lies.
Old 06-20-20, 03:10 PM
kaos joe

Spent my 60th in the heat and hills of Columbia and Rensselaer counties. Hot up here!

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 06-20-20, 04:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Fixed.
Old 06-23-20, 04:06 PM
kaos joe

Hey Steve,

I sent you a PM on Thursday 6/18. I'm wondering if it got through, or I messed it up, or it disappeared into deep space (has happened before, unless of course I messed up).
Old 06-23-20, 05:48 PM
Steve B.

Hey Steve,

I sent you a PM on Thursday 6/18. I'm wondering if it got through, or I messed it up, or it disappeared into deep space (has happened before, unless of course I messed up).
Yes, it arrived. The reply was lengthy as is everything I say or type.

It would also help if I had pressed Send.

Apologies, but I see you found some good roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.