Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The old water bottle dilemma.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The old water bottle dilemma.

Old 07-27-20, 08:21 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
King cage has these, could be ok, especially for temporary.

King Cage - Bicycle waterbottle cages handmade in Durango, CO
Old 07-27-20, 08:41 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I’d vote for clamp on cage for the down tube, ditch the pump, and carry a mini pump or co2 in your kit.
+1 for this idea. Maybe mini pump and CO2. Adding a second bottle on the seat tube was standard procedure during the hottest part of summer where I grew up. Pumps got moved to under the top tube. Sometimes a pump will fit behind the seat tube also, or from the rear QR to under the seat cluster. Since in this case there's not enough room under the TT, easiest go modern.

Also a +1 to trying to plan out your route beforehand. If you know where to stop for water, you can do it with one bottle.
Old 07-27-20, 08:44 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Back jersey pocket works OK, but you do start noticing that bottle back there after a few miles...
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 07-27-20, 08:50 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

How about use a handlebar bag with a couple of Nalgene bottles? Plenty 80s looking. Plus there's room for some food, and a camera or something. For a solo outing that's safer and more practical.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-27-20, 10:52 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 07-27-20, 10:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Collapsible reusable water pouches. I carry one, frozen, in my jersey pocket as a third bottle. By the time I need it the water has thawed and is usually still cool or even cold. And when it's empty it weighs less than a water bottle and is more compact.

If I want it for drinking only, I'll add electrolytes and it'll stay frozen longer. If I want plain water for drizzling on my head and torso I'll omit the electrolytes, but it won't stay frozen as long.

Very handy in Texas summer all day rides, on my road bikes with only two frame mount cages.

If I had to add cages I'd probably go for the handlebar mounts, although those can affect handling a bit. And if I'm doing a century I'll need room for a headlight and camera. Sometimes I can strap the Light & Motion headlight around the head tube to save space on the handlebar. The camera goes on the stem.
Old 07-28-20, 08:14 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I just checked, the pump fits perfectly in the rear triangle. I would probably use a Velcro strap or two but it's pretty secure.

So that gives me seat-tube options.

I would have never thought to put a pump there.
Old 07-28-20, 10:05 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Under the downtube with clamp-on cage, like an old tourer? If you situate it right, the bottle won't decrease ground clearance and you can fit a decent sized one under there.
Check this out. 😉 My ‘85 Miyata six ten came with an under-the-downtube set of bosses, and a normal over-the-downtube set, but none on the seat tube. 🤔🙄😁 I found an old REG clamp-on back in Chico, for dirt cheap. It has a little surface rust, but it’s perfectly sized to hold an extra large

paper coffee cup. 😁😎
Old 07-28-20, 11:36 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Back Jersey pockets have always worked well, Thats why they were invented.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 07-28-20, 12:21 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Wow you're lucky. I have NO water bottle mounts on my Windsor. My solution:

Old 07-28-20, 12:47 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm surprised there is so little love for hydration bags. One bottle on the bike and bag with a large reservoir will see you through a long day. Stopping to get water isn't what it used to be during the pandemic. I try to limit going into stores. Alternatively a saddle bag or handlebar bag or a frame bag can easily hold 1 or 2 nalgene bottles. Osprey makes a mountain bike lumbar bag that holds 2 water bottles that I've been thinking of buying. It can carry 4 liters of stuff (wallet, keys, phone, etc.) plus 2 water bottles. Like everything else that comes from Osprey, the stuff looks very well made and it's priced accordingly.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/savu-SAVU.html

Also bike packers have been coming up with all sorts of ways to strap a nalgene bottle to a frame either under the down tube or on the fork. A one liter nalgene bottle and a one liter water bottle is a fair amount of water.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-28-20 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 12:54 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Clearly, you all need to think bigger:
Old 07-28-20, 02:32 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm surprised there is so little love for hydration bags. One bottle on the bike and bag with a large reservoir will see you through a long day.
Since this is the C&V forum, I'll declare love for the original hydration bags, bota bags! It was pretty much standard practice to bring those along. Strap 'em to the top of the rack with bungees. They were a camping staple BITD. I'm sure the modern version is better. The older kind tasted like rubber, or whatever it was they sealed them with.

I've been meaning to get one of those modern 'collapsible canteens', aside from the bladder in my hiking backpack. Nalgene bottles work though. I have lots already. Though they take up space when empty, you can stuff them with clothes or whatever.

Out here in the hot dry west, burning through 6 or 8 liters in a day can happen. Best to plan out those water stops, because carrying enough water isn't always practical.
Old 07-28-20, 02:41 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Since this is the C&V forum, I'll declare love for the original hydration bags, bota bags! It was pretty much standard practice to bring those along. Strap 'em to the top of the rack with bungees. They were a camping staple BITD. I'm sure the modern version is better. The older kind tasted like rubber, or whatever it was they sealed them with.

I've been meaning to get one of those modern 'collapsible canteens', aside from the bladder in my hiking backpack. Nalgene bottles work though. I have lots already. Though they take up space when empty, you can stuff them with clothes or whatever.

Out here in the hot dry west, burning through 6 or 8 liters in a day can happen. Best to plan out those water stops, because carrying enough water isn't always practical.
I grew up in the Gulf South (Louisiana) where hot and humid was the norm. Yeah we used to race with one or two water bottles in our pockets and one on the bike. What a crock. It's tough to beat camelbaks when you need to carry a lot of water. And they're C&V friendly for bikes that lack braze ons.
Old 07-28-20, 03:11 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Bikemig

I currently have a very nice 3L, I think platypus is the brand. I've had several over the years. I even had one of the early ones that was handsewn.

For me, it's a mountain biking and fast hike tool. I'll have it on the alpine traverse I'm doing on Saturday. It's also pretty good for ski touring if you are careful not to let the hose freeze. It's purely aesthetic but I'm just not willing to do the CamelBak on the road, especially vintage.

I do have my solution. Frame pump on the rear triangle and clamp on bottle on the seat tube. That gives me two big bottles plus a smaller one in my pocket.
Old 07-28-20, 04:02 PM
speed king

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 22 Posts
Likes For speed king:
Old 07-28-20, 04:35 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
There would be more peeing than riding with that rig.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-28-20, 05:22 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
My 78 Schwinn didn't come with any mounts, and I didn't really want the clamp on the frame type. So, I went with the simple handlebar mount.

I bought one of these Minoura mounts for my 84 Gitane, but it wouldn't fit the 26.0 Cinelli bars. The packaging claims they fit 22.2 dia. bars, and I know you can squeeze them on larger bars, but the Cinelli wasn't having it.
Old 07-28-20, 06:58 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
My Schwinn

Attached with a modified reflector bracket. Sturdy and light!
Old 07-28-20, 07:36 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
...or: https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product.../332-cagemount
Old 07-28-20, 07:36 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Hang one of these off the top tube.

Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 07-28-20, 07:39 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm surprised there is so little love for hydration bags. One bottle on the bike and bag with a large reservoir will see you through a long day. Stopping to get water isn't what it used to be during the pandemic. I try to limit going into stores. Alternatively a saddle bag or handlebar bag or a frame bag can easily hold 1 or 2 nalgene bottles. Osprey makes a mountain bike lumbar bag that holds 2 water bottles that I've been thinking of buying. It can carry 4 liters of stuff (wallet, keys, phone, etc.) plus 2 water bottles. Like everything else that comes from Osprey, the stuff looks very well made and it's priced accordingly.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/savu-SAVU.html

Also bike packers have been coming up with all sorts of ways to strap a nalgene bottle to a frame either under the down tube or on the fork. A one liter nalgene bottle and a one liter water bottle is a fair amount of water.
I put a water bladder in my handlebar bag. Keeps it off my back, and the sipping hose is right there when you need it. And it’s pretty stealth in an old Cannondale bar bag.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 07-28-20, 08:54 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Minoura single bar mount with Wolf Tooth B-Rad Double Bottle Adapters.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e-cage-adapter

You could use the Wolf Tooth B-Rad as intended, on your single dt bottle cage mounts. My gut tells me if your calves were big enough maybe you'd brush against the cages? I dunno, never really gave much thought to how much clearance there was between my calves and the down tube. Because with a single cage it doesn't matter.

You could also just use the Minoura mount for a single cage.

You _can_ get the Minoura mounts to work on 26.0mm bars, but it ain't easy. The u-shaped mounts need to be finessed and bent ever so slightly, and the threads usually lightly scrape the bar. The front clamp/mount section ears need to be bent a little towards the bars to meet the threads. Then there aren't many threads protruding when you first start out, and the included Minoura nuts are highly-strippable alloy, so I use steel nuts to get it all set up, then swap in the alloy nuts one at a time. I reckon the Minoura mount would not work on Cinelli 26.4mm bars.

The downward protruding cage mount sections blocks the stem adjustment bolt from the front, which is a pain. You really have to get your bar angle dead on before the Minoura goes on. And sometimes, depending on the shape of the front of the stem, you can't quite get the downward angle you want because the stem gets in the way.

They really are a pain in the keyster on 26.0 bars, but there's something about their otherwise simplicity that keeps me using them. Fortunately not on too many bikes.

Bar-mount cages are a little anachronistic for an '86 frame, but these first pix below were on a '91 Fuquay/Serotta 'cross race frame, which had no bottle mounts at all. I'd rather be anachronistic/funky than use clamps on the frame. But that's just me.

Old 07-29-20, 09:38 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Check this out. 😉 My ‘85 Miyata six ten came with an under-the-downtube set of bosses, and a normal over-the-downtube set, but none on the seat tube. 🤔🙄😁 I found an old REG clamp-on back in Chico, for dirt cheap. It has a little surface rust, but it’s perfectly sized to hold an extra large

paper coffee cup. 😁😎
I've been going through analysis paralysis trying to figure out what to do about this problem on my Motobecane, but I'm posting mainly to say that that bike came from a bike shop a mile or two from my house - so cool!
Old 07-29-20, 10:17 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by wintermute
I've been going through analysis paralysis trying to figure out what to do about this problem on my Motobecane, but I'm posting mainly to say that that bike came from a bike shop a mile or two from my house - so cool!
Ha, pretty cool. 👍 New York state somewheres. Wantagh or somesuch. I’m from western Pennsylvania, so been to family things in Albany & Rochester, as a kid. 😎

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.