Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just don't feel like riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 11:23 AM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

Something weird is happening. For maybe the first time in 15 yrs I just sorta don't feel like riding. Been absorbed in projects around the house and working on them instead of going riding w/ my free time. Usually I would feel real antsy and be worrying that I'm getting soft. But, instead I just feel apathetic.

Anyone else gone through this? What did you do?
Likes For showlow:
Old 10-04-20, 11:55 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
My lull lasted a couple of years as I got involved in some big projects at work. What brought me out of it? A really nice new bike. It was a slight stretch financially and more bike than I "deserved", but it definitely got my interest recharged.
Old 10-04-20, 12:09 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
It has happened on occasion.
What did I do? I didn't ride.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 10-04-20, 12:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you're not into it mentally then don't do it. Nothing wrong with taking a little break from riding....It's better to take a break than to ride aimlessly without a purpose and not enjoy it.
Old 10-04-20, 12:21 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Tough.. just go !

I get there from time to time.
I tell myself "tough luck.. go ride anyway"

I enjoy the ride and I've never returned from the ride wishing I'd not gone !

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 10-04-20, 12:38 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I don't have a car, I mainly ride for transportation. With working from home 100% and few social/volunteering engagements, I don't have places to ride to. I live in downtown area so shops and restaurants are within walking distance. Occasionally I contrive an errand like going to an Asian market 11 miles away or satisfy a food craving that isn't available in my neighborhood.

It's a beautiful Sunday and I'm struggling to get myself out there on the bike.
Old 10-04-20, 12:54 PM
IGH_Only

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
It has happened on occasion.
What did I do? I didn't ride.
That kind of logic makes way too much sense for this world.
Old 10-04-20, 05:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If you're not into it mentally then don't do it. Nothing wrong with taking a little break from riding....It's better to take a break than to ride aimlessly without a purpose and not enjoy it.
but but but what if the purpose to one's riding is to ride aimlessly & enjoys its??
Old 10-04-20, 05:25 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
but but but what if the purpose to one's riding is to ride aimlessly & enjoys its??
that's me
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-04-20, 05:27 PM
crankholio

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Sometimes I enjoy working on my bikes more than riding, so I do that. There's always something I can tweak or change. Of course this can come with its own set of problems.
Likes For crankholio:
Old 10-04-20, 05:28 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
that's me
I'm lug into that category too.
Old 10-04-20, 05:33 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I don’t enjoy getting dressed for riding when it gets colder out but eventually I do.
Old 10-04-20, 05:35 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I raced for about a decade. Quit racing and soon began supporting myself with a pedi-cab. After that, I went full stop.

I poured myself into rock climbing and eventually got married and went back to school (so I didn't need to ride a trike for money).

A month or so before my first kid was born, I got a nice bike and started riding again, it was about a 10 year break. I didn't miss the time I didn't ride but I sure missed not being as fast as I once was. He's 3 now and I've also got a 1 year old, I simply can't ride a lot now. I stay fit enough to enjoy it but not so fit that I need to train to keep it up. 4 (7 if you count my wife) bikes in the garage.

I like riding and I really like wrenching too. A week or three off the bike is still ok.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 10-04-20, 06:44 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
I have two possible physical reasons for not "feeling like riding": 1) Age related loss of testosterone, and 2) lack of caffeine. Also, I find in general that the longer I go without riding, my desire to ride decreases. Conversely, the more I ride, the more I want to ride from day to day. During a lull in riding, at some point I just have to get on the bike and go. There's been a few times when I didn't particularly feel like riding. There have been zero times when I regretted having gone riding when I got home.

If one or two above don't apply, we'll just say that you have a "Psychological Block" resisting your inner desire to ride, and you will need therapy to overcome this block. Your prescribed therapy should be to to ride whatever length ride you consider your "short ride" to be. Repeat 4-5 times weekly. Increase the mileage the next week, and I predict that if you continue for a month or two, you will be out of your slump. Ooooh, if the weather turns cold, just layer up and ride. Adverse riding conditions will increase your feeling of being "bona fide". After six months of this therapy, buy yourself a nicer bike, feel guilty about it and ride more to justify spending the money. This method is guaranteed.
Old 10-04-20, 06:52 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
When I dont want to get out on my road bike ill mountain bike. Or if I don't feel like riding at all ill take a hike. Or sometimes ill just walk the dog. If your not doing something that makes you happy you should be doing something else.
Old 10-04-20, 06:55 PM
Troul 

i'll weld up something if I don't feel like riding. Some days I'll do both. Multiple times.
Old 10-04-20, 07:52 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
Something weird is happening. For maybe the first time in 15 yrs I just sorta don't feel like riding. Been absorbed in projects around the house and working on them instead of going riding w/ my free time. Usually I would feel real antsy and be worrying that I'm getting soft. But, instead I just feel apathetic.

Maybe look into an Elliptigo. Perhaps you just an alternative to everyday riding and need to mix it up.
Old 10-04-20, 08:19 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Just went through a 12 day stretch of not riding, it was crazy busy at work. Meh, I survived. Rode today and enjoyed it like I didn’t miss a day. Just roll with and don’t stress out. I see the same thing even more often with runners. “I didn’t run five days this week and now I’m losing fitness”. I’ve seen this I don’t how many times over my years of running. Even during race training, if I felt I needed/wanted an extra rest day, I took it and adjusted. The world kept turning and the sun still rose.
Old 10-05-20, 12:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow

Been there. Felt like I hit a wall. I joined a cycling club with riders of similar ability, strength and looking for 50+ mile rides. Made a bunch of good friends, looked forward to seeing them every week, and worked to stay fit in the meanwhile to do longer pulls. Also developed a competitive thing with a couple of buddies and race up and down hills or do sprints to a landmark. Ended going to a couple of weddings, Saturday night get togethers, etc. made some good friends with similar values and looked forward to seeing them on the weekends.

Later I broke up cycling with spending one day hiking the mountains and the next day cycle, just to break things up. Much later I got a mtn bike and was hooked to the thrill, skill building and good times with new friends.

so hopefully you can find something in the rambling above. Now I road, mtn bike and hike

Old 10-05-20, 02:41 AM
Det

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best I've found for me is to just use minimal gear, and not the full-on street-competition-with-yourself ones. Doesn't matter if I'm alone, long as I'm getting a workout, it's a lot of fun.
Old 10-05-20, 05:11 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Hopefully my riding mojo will return once I get a new hip next year. Post ride pain has a way of damping your enthusiasm for the next one.

As for not feeling like riding, try breaking up the monotony with say a fun ride, something like a slow cruise out around the neighborhood, something different from your normal "training" ride.

Used to do that when I worked out a lot. Would tell myself I was going in for a light workout. Often times that turned into the best workout.
Old 10-05-20, 07:52 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Usually feel that way around November in Wisconsin.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-05-20, 08:24 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
stop riding for a while. See if you miss it
Old 10-05-20, 08:37 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I've never returned from the ride wishing I'd not gone !

Barry
Couldn't agree more
Old 10-05-20, 08:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
A lot of people, especially those who live in regions that are affected by winter with cold temp's and snow, tend to ramp up their cycling in the spring and continue thru the summer months, then start to burn out a bit in early fall. I see this for myself every year and It's now the season to do "fun" rides, I.E., less distance, easier pace, drive to someplace different. Or take a day or two off. It's 65 degrees and sunny this morning and I'm not likely going to get out, too tired after 4 straight and hard days on the bike.

I had a friend that moved from the metro NYC area to St. George, Utah, where it would get to 120 degrees in the summer. He had to learn to reverse his seasons, ramp up during October into the winter when it was comfortable, then scale back in the summer. It was a hard transition for him initially.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.