Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to maximize eBay profit on a PX-10?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How to maximize eBay profit on a PX-10?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 06:21 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by cqlink
\With parts help from friends here I restored to original specs I had $330 or so into it. Rode an entire season and sold her for $490.
I remember your buildup fondly. I figured with all you put in it, if you sold you'd be upside down, glad to hear you made good on it. Yours is a good example of what's possible with a suffering frame, the OP's frame is pretty exceptional and already a looker.

Old 10-09-20, 11:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
B) Got me considering keeping and restoring the damned thing for myself

Anybody know how this model may fair with either a small saddlebag (carradice barley) loaded up or a small rando bag in the front? I tend carry stuff often for various reasons. More relaxed geometry seems like an ok candidate here. I’ve read some worries about serious shimmy on these with a rear load.
...you can file this in the FWIW folder. I once had a liking for these bikes, and I went through maybe 5 or 6 of them when they were showing up more regularly on the local CL here, about ten years ago.

One of those projects involved my desire for a Nervex lugged 24" frame, which for some reason are rarely discovered here in the US. I finally found one down near Mt Diablo, which the guy had bought at a pro shop in Germany, brought with him to the USA, and ridden the living snot out of it. Every component on that bike needed replacement, except maybe the crank itself (chainwheels were shot). So I found a cheap 25" bike of about the same vintage (probably cheap because large), and proceeded to strip it as my donor bike.

Somehow (I think maybe I mentioned it in a thread as a project), Frank the Welder (who used to post here and is kind of famous as a restoration guru and frame builder himself), got wind of it, and asked me to send the frame to him. That's the size he rides. He mentioned that it's one of his favorite frames to ride around his locale, because of the springy, shock absorbent ride and relaxed open geometry of the frame.

It's a great platform for many different uses, because it has eyelets for fenders/rack, and a lot of clearance for bigger wheels like 27" and wider tyres like 28's with fenders. I think I remember having 700x32's on mine for a while, before I mounted the current fenders. Anyway, Frank likes them, and he knows bicycles pretty much.
Old 10-10-20, 12:03 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Well, for what it’s worth, we’ve now discerned that while they were good upgrades the handlebars, stem and front derailleur are not original and there are no pedals. But I do get your point. As for small sum of money, compared to what I paid for this when I picked it up, a return of $400-$700 or so would be no small sum. I’ve also been without work for some time due to covid and the cash wouldn’t hurt.
I hear ya. I find myself unemployed again as well. That's why I shared some ideas. I think some light cleaning and just a bit of restoration always helps with a sale. I think new tires would help too if the wheels straighten out, but that's me.

​This is definitely a seller's market, if you're willing to let it go, now's the time to do it. I've cobbled together a few road bikes recently and did very well.
Old 10-10-20, 08:41 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I hear ya. I find myself unemployed again as well. That's why I shared some ideas.
Sorry to hear about this and OP's pandemic situation. I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, it's looking like 1st round is coming late next week while I'm on vacation, and another round in December, just in time for the holidays. Those who make it to December may get paid through end of month. I won't know my fate until 10 days from now, completely coincidental I'm off during the 1st round.

Knowing this was coming is what led me to doing similar to OP, evaluating current inventory and moving what I can. I got really on top of selling bikes and selling or donating tons of parts to other BF'ers in need the last 8-10 months. I've sold at least half a dozen bikes and bout one (N -5?). It's a wild and uncertain world right now good luck!

Likes For francophile:
Old 10-10-20, 10:40 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Well, for what it’s worth, we’ve now discerned that while they were good upgrades the handlebars, stem and front derailleur are not original and there are no pedals. But I do get your point. As for small sum of money, compared to what I paid for this when I picked it up, a return of $400-$700 or so would be no small sum. I’ve also been without work for some time due to covid and the cash wouldn’t hurt.
I was off of work for a few months when covid hit the states. I spent a good portion of that time restoring and selling some classic, but lower end bikes than your Peugeot. It was time well spent because, although I've been working on bikes since a teenager, I learned a few things about bike restoration and repair. I also made some money and passed on a few complete vintage bikes to some happy buyers.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 10-12-20, 03:11 PM
OldFartCyclist

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
What color is it?
In 1972 the Pugeot PX10LE came in 3 color combos. White, black, and chrome; black, white and chrome; and chrome, white and black. I had one that was white, black, and chrome. It was my first high end bike when I was 18. $425 brand new and out the door at Jerry's Bikes in Richland, WA.
Likes For OldFartCyclist:
Old 10-12-20, 06:06 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
you should reverse the direction of your tire savers (i"ve seen this setup too many times to mention)
the rear is only causing unneeded friction but the front is throwing dirt/grit straight into your headset!
Likes For steve sumner:
Old 10-12-20, 06:51 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Not to be ill-mannered, but you either have to ride it or sell it on eBay at this point. I considered purchasing this bike while it was originally posted. I am surprised it took so long to sell, it was an excellent price initially. The interest it brought from the previous price should gauge an idea for the local value.

I say ride it!
Old 10-12-20, 09:33 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I recently sold a '68 px-10. I fixed it up and intended to ride it but the fit was not right so I sold it. I used Craigslist but it took over a year and I did not get a lot of hits. I figured that although it was fully restored it still had too many quirks to list on Ebay and it needed to be seen and ridden in person and I also did not want to pack it.
If you're going to keep it you may want to pack the original wheels away and build a set of clincher rims with an english threaded freewheel so you can use a freewheel with more ridable gearing. I found an abandoned, rusting women's Peugeot from the 70's and used its hubs and laced them to a set of Sun M13 rims which look very similar to the originals. The front derailleur clamp was intact to I used that too and various screws and sundry parts to bring mine back to original.
And here's one for sale in NewYork area (no affiliation) that has been listed for many weeks.

Old 10-13-20, 09:37 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
TL;DR: Swap in a rideable set of clincher wheels, throw it up on your local/regional craigslists and see what happens. If it doesn't move, you can always lower the price, then part it out if nobody buys. I think leaving the sewups in limits your potential buyers to only us vintage geeks, and even me isn't buying anything on cl with sewups unless the seller drop the price _a lot_. I don't need another set of tubular wheels I'm never going to ride.

Don't ask me about my pile o' wheels...

I think a lot of this depends on your local market, time of year, how much time/skill/tools you have to deal with it all, and ultimately, how much you want to get out of it and how long you can wait to "maximize value."

In general I think you almost always make more $$$ parting out than selling complete. Even if you wind up with a pile of smaller stuff that doesn't find a home.

Strip it all, list every functional/reasonable item for a week on ebay, start each auction at $1, and at the end of the week most everything will sell, and you'll have more $ than you paid for it. Cut the hubs out of the wheels, list the hubs and skewers separately, junk the rims/tires.

Covid may have altered this equation, again, depending on your market/region.

Here in the metro NYC area most of what pops up on craigslist is pretty crappy. Maybe it's the density/seasonality, but I'm still always a little mystified. I see tons of high-end bikes swarming over the George Washington Bridge every weekend, and now every day, but the ratio of crappy:interesting, even just vaguely interesting, seems like no better than 100:1. Even seems worse now, since folks are convinced their crappy dept store bikes that have been getting moldy in their garage are suddenly worth actual $ because covid. And prices for even vaguely interesting bikes are very high. Maybe those were selling easy in March-April, but with cold weather coming, they're sitting now.

I've seen reasonably-priced, not-trashed, nicer vintage bikes sit for months on cl here, including PX-10s of various flavors.

YMMV.