Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Just Realized Why I Prefer A Bar-Mounted Mirror!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Just Realized Why I Prefer A Bar-Mounted Mirror!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 07:47 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I used a helmet mirror once. 'Nuff said.
Old 10-29-20, 08:03 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Situational Awareness Tool

A mirror is just a useful tool in maintaining situational awareness. Having situational awareness (in all directions) is part of a road strategy to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

Originally Posted by sweeks
.... I have a good view of what's coming up behind me with a bar-end mirror on my commuter bike, and a glasses-mounted mirror on my road and mountain bikes. I'm 70 years old and have never been hit from behind....
It is possible that sweeks maintains situational awareness and takes appropriate actions to avoid dangerous situations, and that has contributed to not being hit from behind. Or it could be he has just been lucky.

Originally Posted by CargoDane
...I am questioning whether you can tell in your mirror if a car passes with more than one meter (a bit over 3ft) distance or it will hit.....
I agree, but that isn't the purpose of a rearview mirror on any vehicle. When a threat is that close, it is too late.

... And if you can tell that with your mirror while the car is far enough away for you to actually react....
This is completely different; situational awareness is knowing what's shaping up and might be a threat. The situation may be a pack of cars approaching very fast, or a semi that is pinched and will have to pass me close, or a wide landscaping trailer, or a car that is weaving in and out of their lane or there is potential for glare and they might not see me or .... These are things you can see 10-20 seconds before they arrive, and there's time to act. Some people do this by turning their heads ("handtool") and others with mirrors ("powertool").

Seriously, though, you not having been hit by a car from behind probably has very little to do with you being able to see traffic behind you in the mirror.
I have been hit from behind. The point of situational awareness and road strategy is to reduce risk. If you want certainty, refer to death and taxes. Using a mirror to improve situational awareness likely has a lot to do with sweeks experience. And he may get hit tomorrow. But if you ask me to bet on who won't get hit? I'm betting on those who maintain situational awareness.
Old 10-29-20, 08:05 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
A mirror is just a useful tool in maintaining situational awareness. Having situational awareness (in all directions) is part of a road strategy to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

It is possible that sweeks maintains situational awareness and takes appropriate actions to avoid dangerous situations, and that has contributed to not being hit from behind. Or it could be he has just been lucky.

I agree, but that isn't the purpose of a rearview mirror on any vehicle. When a threat is that close, it is too late.

This is completely different; situational awareness is knowing what's shaping up and might be a threat. The situation may be a pack of cars approaching very fast, or a semi that is pinched and will have to pass me close, or a wide landscaping trailer, or a car that is weaving in and out of their lane or there is potential for glare and they might not see me or .... These are things you can see 10-20 seconds before they arrive, and there's time to act. Some people do this by turning their heads ("handtool") and others with mirrors ("powertool").

I have been hit from behind. The point of situational awareness and road strategy is to reduce risk. If you want certainty, refer to death and taxes. Using a mirror to improve situational awareness likely has a lot to do with sweeks experience. And he may get hit tomorrow. But if you ask me to bet on who won't get hit? I'm betting on those who maintain situational awareness.
"Situational Awareness" wasn't the claim, though. I give you that it is a means to improve that (for some), but it wasn't the claim made.
Old 10-29-20, 08:19 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
We agree!
Old 10-29-20, 10:42 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I am not saying you can't see what's coming up behind you. A mirror certainly tells you that. I am questioning whether you can tell in your mirror if a car passes with more than one meter (a bit over 3ft) distance or it will hit. And if you can tell that with your mirror while the car is far enough away for you to actually react. I very much doubt you can.

Okay, and for your last point: I have a Tiger Rock in my pocket at all times. It scares tigers away, and I have never been attacked by a tiger! It's amazing how effective it is.

Seriously, though, you not having been hit by a car from behind probably has very little to do with you being able to see traffic behind you in the mirror.
There have been a handful (in over 20 years) where I think the mirror saved me from being hit at least to the point of being sideswiped. It is very rare though. It depends on the situation, traffic, and so many other variables, but I like that tiny little extra percent of a chance that I will keep my mirror.

Also, on a recumbent, a mirror is pretty much a necessity since it's much harder to look back.
Old 10-29-20, 10:45 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Haha, yeah, with recumbents, I too would have a mirror (or two).
Old 10-29-20, 11:53 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
The benefits may seem dubious to *you*, but many cyclists don't feel safe in traffic without a mirror. I am one of these.
Yes, this is my opinion. As you’ve noted, actual data is hard to come by, but the idea that a rear view mirror enhances safety depends on assuming 1) the cyclist can identify clearly when a vehicle is going to hit him or her and 2) take effective evasive action. We do know that in the countries where cycling is safest, rear view mirrors for cyclists aren’t mandated and aren’t especially widely used. We also know that cyclist safety is much more strongly affected by physical infrastructure, cyclist numbers and motorist behavior than by basically anything else. I don’t mind if a mirror makes you feel safer, but based on all this I strenuously object to the idea that mirrors “should be” required safety equipment for cyclists. Any benefit would undoubtedly be small, it would cause depress participation in cycling and give law enforcement another tool to harass cyclists with. No thank you.
Likes For grolby: