Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pockets (and padded shorts)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-21-20, 09:14 PM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

It's a million degrees where I live now to the point where I don't even bother wearing my jersey. I just toss on my training shorts (a less expensive Pearl Izumi starter pair) and a lightweight tee when I go out. I've lately had to stuff my phone and keys into a fanny pack but since I'm in the road cycling forum and not the mountain biking forum, I know that's not an acceptable solution.

I've found a few cycling shorts (not bibs) with pockets but they're either brands I've never heard of from Amazon where the product photos don't match the user photos or they're $130 from Rapha or they're baggy cargo short type shorts with a pad. Does anybody have a suggestion for a pair of decent training shorts with pockets for men on the side or back, just enough for a phone, a couple keys, and maybe a credit card/headphones?
Old 07-21-20, 10:39 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Specialized makes a roubaix bib shorts with swat storage. It has two mesh side pockets, two hip pockets and two pockets on back of bib. Very comfortable and made for long distance gravel riding.
Old 07-21-20, 10:54 PM
mattscq

Originally Posted by velopig
Specialized makes a roubaix bib shorts with swat storage. It has two mesh side pockets, two hip pockets and two pockets on back of bib. Very comfortable and made for long distance gravel riding.
At $100, a little pricey. I'm hoping to keep things around $50-60. Ironically, the women's Pearl Izumis have pockets!
Old 07-22-20, 02:18 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Won't a tight cycling shirt wick sweat better than a tee?
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-22-20, 05:00 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
If you are willing to (gasp) forego a jersey for a T shirt, why not fall totally into depravity and add a small saddle bag to carry stuff?

I've been doing the padded shorts/wicking T/saddle bag heresy for years...
Old 07-22-20, 05:23 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Check out Voler. They have a bib with pockets. I just got a pair of shorts from them and like the fit and comfort.

https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110840
Old 07-22-20, 05:31 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
Wait, I have to get a specific jersey to go gravel riding? Why didn't anyone tell me this? I've been using roadie kit!
Mrs Z just lost some more closet space.
Old 07-22-20, 07:28 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Wait, I have to get a specific jersey to go gravel riding? Why didn't anyone tell me this? I've been using roadie kit!
Mrs Z just lost some more closet space.
You missed the point. The beauty of this is you don’t need a jersey and ride with whatever top you choose to wear, from none at all to a flannel wool long sleeve.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-22-20, 08:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Thing is, there are any good shorts out there for $50-$60, much less ones with pockets. You get what you pay for. A good pair of Volers or Pearl Izumi Elite, etc, will last you for years and be comfortable. I've never had a pair of cheap shorts which worked out for me and/or wasn't all stretched out with a destroyed pad inside a year
Old 07-22-20, 10:01 AM
mattscq

Originally Posted by jpescatore
If you are willing to (gasp) forego a jersey for a T shirt, why not fall totally into depravity and add a small saddle bag to carry stuff?

I've been doing the padded shorts/wicking T/saddle bag heresy for years...
Gotta maintain some standards
Old 07-24-20, 01:19 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Aerotech Design shorts have mesh side pockets. Decent shorts for a reasonable price.
Likes For Gundo:
Old 07-24-20, 02:41 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Some people wear socks with sandals. There’s no accounting for taste.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 07-26-20, 09:03 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
It's a million degrees where I live now to the point where I don't even bother wearing my jersey. I just toss on my training shorts (a less expensive Pearl Izumi starter pair) and a lightweight tee when I go out.
Snug summer cycling jerseys do a better job wicking sweat and keeping you comfortable than T-shirts and conveniently have pockets too.

I like Louis Garneau's diamond fabric which is very breathable.
Old 07-26-20, 09:06 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Thing is, there are any good shorts out there for $50-$60, much less ones with pockets. You get what you pay for. A good pair of Volers or Pearl Izumi Elite, etc, will last you for years and be comfortable. I've never had a pair of cheap shorts which worked out for me and/or wasn't all stretched out with a destroyed pad inside a year
Cheap shorts are false economy.

A pair of $120-$140 Volers which last 100-200 wearings + washings cost less than $50-$60 shorts that survive 50, and start with more comfortable chamois.
Old 07-26-20, 10:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Snug summer cycling jerseys do a better job wicking sweat and keeping you comfortable than T-shirts and conveniently have pockets too.

I like Louis Garneau's diamond fabric which is very breathable.
Yes. People in their life experience find that loose garments are more comfortable in the heat. However that knowledge comes from relatively stationary activities. Even running is relatively stationary compared to cycling. Wind is a completely different environment. What works in wind does not work while stationary and vice versa. I can't hike in a tight jersey. Horrible, but it's the most comfortable thing in the world on the bike.

Is that Garneau fabric relatively sun-proof or as good as most? I know some jerseys now have mesh backs which aren't good for long periods of sun.
Old 07-26-20, 11:01 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yes. People in their life experience find that loose garments are more comfortable in the heat. However that knowledge comes from relatively stationary activities. Even running is relatively stationary compared to cycling. Wind is a completely different environment. What works in wind does not work while stationary and vice versa. I can't hike in a tight jersey. Horrible, but it's the most comfortable thing in the world on the bike.

Is that Garneau fabric relatively sun-proof or as good as most? I know some jerseys now have mesh backs which aren't good for long periods of sun.

While not UPF rated, I haven't noticed even the slightest hint of pink on rides starting before sunrise and ending after sunset although my skin covered by jerseys/shorts/socks is snow white and I only use sunscreen on exposed areas.

LG Diamond fabric is a loose light weave with reinforcing strands to maintain structural integrity that doesn't look like mesh at arm's length. The dark black is a flat seam.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-26-20 at 11:35 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 07-28-20, 08:59 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Some people wear socks with sandals. There’s no accounting for taste.
Welcome to Pacific Northwest