Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Opaqueness of Vintage Bike Identification Process

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 03:56 AM
Gonzobuster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Fellow bike nerds,

I have an odd observation to share (and to discuss). In every other „tech“-related niche, it’s (or seems?) possible to identify products or gadgets from the past with the help of the internet. Old catalogs and similar digitized sources seem to be available, even for handwritten books 😉

That does not seem to be the case for vintage bikes even from the 1980s.

How come?
​​​​​​​
Old 08-20-20, 04:19 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Some catalogues are available online but many or not. I wish bike forums would start a sticky so that users could upload their catalogues.
Old 08-20-20, 04:34 AM
Gonzobuster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks. I wish there were any Motobecane catalogs available ...

Last edited by Gonzobuster; 08-22-20 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 05:14 AM
bikemig 

Motobecane catalogs for the US market are available, velobase has a lot of catalogs. It wouldn’t surprise if some are available in French as well.

https://labibleduvelocataloguesmotobecane.blogspot.com/
Old 08-20-20, 05:48 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzobuster
Thanks. I wish there were any Motobecane catalogs a available ...
'72 - '85?

bulgier.net - /pics/bike/catalogs/Motobecane/
Old 08-20-20, 06:02 AM
Gonzobuster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
That’s great, thanks 😊

Now I know mine must be younger than that. Narrowing it down.

It must be younger than from 1986 then, thanks again

Last edited by Gonzobuster; 08-20-20 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 06:28 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Maybe this also a part of why old Treks are popular- all the catalogs from the good ol days are online thanks to Skip and Vintage Trek.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 08-20-20 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-20-20, 06:39 AM
Gonzobuster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Motobecane catalogs for the US market are available, velobase has a lot of catalogs. It wouldn’t surprise if some are available in French as well.

CATALOGUES MOTOBECANE
Thanks, now I know my bike must be from 1987 or even later years.

P.S.: I am not French 😉
Old 08-20-20, 06:49 AM
bikemig 

Thanks, now I know my bike must be from 1987 or even later years.

P.S.: I am not French 😉
I wasn’t guessing your nationality.

motobecane Is French is and so it would not surprise me that there are good resources about the brand in French.

Thats certainly true for Peugeot and for Follis for example.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-20-20, 06:52 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
In addition to the aforementioned bulgier.net catalog trove, there are SO many more vintage bike resources available now than there were 20 years ago. I remember being on the old iBOB newslist (which has since gone through multiple hosts and is currently on Google Groups), when that was about it. It was cool to be invited to join the then-new Classic Rendezvous list which has grown by leaps and bounds. When I stumbled onto this forum a few years back, this included more of the less-exotic, more proletarian bikes of a wider range and completed what I was seeking. Just ask and there are so many people who will be glad to share information.Oh, and about not being French? Google chrome will translate French pages for you. For a REALLY cool time, go trawl Vélo Vintage A Gogo - Portail and when prompted, choose English. There are French guys who geek out over vintage bikes just as much as we do, and they say pretty much the same things, mais en Francais. All kinds of cool stuff, as I found when I went searching for information about the Liberia bicycles built in Grenoble. They had the catalogs, because to my knowledge there were NEVER any English language Liberia catalogs.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-20-20, 06:56 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
One of the problems with identifying old bicycles is that they far more likely to altered from OEM configuration than other "tech" products. Repaints and replacement parts are common and most of the frame building parts are standard items. Very few used proprietary parts. In the 1980s their was trend by larger and high end manufacturers to emboss logos on frames but outside of that, it can be difficult.

One of the most reliable tools for identifying an old bicycle is the serial number, which can tell you the manufacturer and date. The serial number formats have been publicized for many of the larger brands such as Raleigh, Schwinn and Trek. A substantial number of the Asian manufacturers, who manufactured a significant number of 1970s and 1980s bicycles under their own and other companies brands, have also been identified, had their serial number formats decoded and cross-referenced to the brands which they manufactured.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-20-20 at 07:00 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-20-20, 07:43 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...my go to source for component ID has always been Disraeli Gears for derailleurs, and VeloBase.com for most everything else.
They have a bunch of catalogs on VeloBase, and started up a "frames and whole bikes" section not all that long ago.

VeloBase.com - Catalog Scans

I have to agree that I find the online resources so much more plentiful now that I have no complaints.
Disraeli Gears has a wonderful section that gives printable original instructions for many of the derailleurs listed. Thanks for that.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-20-20, 10:04 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I believe that Motobécane ceased making "serious" racing/touring bicycles in France after 1984 -- look at the marked difference between the 1984 and 1985 catalogs and the lack of any after 1985. The name was bought by some other firm that began production elsewhere, probably somewhere in Asia.
Old 08-20-20, 10:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Fellow bike nerds,

I have an odd observation to share (and to discuss). In every other „tech“-related niche, it’s (or seems?) possible to identify products or gadgets from the past with the help of the internet. Old catalogs and similar digitized sources seem to be available, even for handwritten books 😉

That does not seem to be the case for vintage bikes even from the 1980s.

How come?
​​​​​​​Pictures of your bike posted here might help.
Old 08-20-20, 10:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...my go to source for component ID has always been Disraeli Gears for derailleurs, and VeloBase.com for most everything else.
They have a bunch of catalogs on VeloBase, and started up a "frames and whole bikes" section not all that long ago.

VeloBase.com - Catalog Scans

I have to agree that I find the online resources so much more plentiful now that I have no complaints.
Disraeli Gears has a wonderful section that gives printable original instructions for many of the derailleurs listed. Thanks for that.
While Dirsraeli Gears is an excellent resource, a rear derailleur is last component that I'd use for identifying or dating a bicycle as, in my personal experience, it the one likely to have been replaced (consumables excepted).
Old 08-20-20, 11:42 AM
Gonzobuster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I believe that Motobécane ceased making "serious" racing/touring bicycles in France after 1984 -- look at the marked difference between the 1984 and 1985 catalogs and the lack of any after 1985. The name was bought by some other firm that began production elsewhere, probably somewhere in Asia.
Indeed, I was wondering why I can’t find any Motobecane catalogs from 1986 onwards. So there aren’t any? Wow ...
Old 08-20-20, 11:45 AM
Gonzobuster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Pictures of your bike posted here might help.
Sorry, I didn’t wanna spam this generic thread. Here you are:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...preciated.html
Old 08-20-20, 11:49 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Indeed, I was wondering why I can’t find any Motobecane catalogs from 1986 onwards. So there aren’t any? Wow ...
Yeah, it was really, really sad. The whole French bike industry just kept shrinking and shrinking away. Motobecane started showing up as a badge on Asian-produced bikes some time this century - like maybe 2005 or so? I started seeing them on bikesdirect and the big auction site as people began bringing them into the country. I don't recall seeing ANYONE selling them in brick and mortar shops - they've been a direct to consumer bike since they returned, or so it seems to me.

Can you post some pix, or maybe post them to a gallery so someone can do a pic assist? What model do you have? Components? Lugged or internally brazed?
Old 08-20-20, 12:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
There is a lot of information about the big brands like Motobecane, Peugeot, Raleigh, Schwinn, etc.

The problem becomes more apparent when one tries to identify a bike from a small builder, or identify rebadged department store bikes.

Even for a company like Colnago, there is a lot of information about their mainstream bikes, but it takes more hunting for some of their spinoffs, sometimes rebadged for others.
Old 08-20-20, 12:29 PM
himespau 

Sorry, I didn’t wanna spam this generic thread. Here you are:

Yeah, that definitely looks post sale to me.
Old 08-20-20, 01:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
When Motobecane Became MBK
Old 08-20-20, 01:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
For identification, perhaps it isn't the catalogs that one needs, but rather to have someone build timelines. Somewhat like has been done with the Colnago Super. So someone can sit down and quickly scan through the details to identify an approximate date.

Often I'm sitting struggling to try to figure out salient details to differentiate something like new Campagnolo 9s components vs old Campagnolo 9s components.

With many more modern bikes there are paint scheme details that help identify them, but these also need to be documented, and perhaps one could note differences to look for.

Google searches are great, but they use a fuzzy search algorithm so one searches for one brand, and photos for another brand pop up.

It would be a massive database to build, and would require a lot of input from diverse people.
Old 08-21-20, 04:06 AM
Gonzobuster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Yeah, it was really, really sad. The whole French bike industry just kept shrinking and shrinking away. Motobecane started showing up as a badge on Asian-produced bikes some time this century - like maybe 2005 or so? I started seeing them on bikesdirect and the big auction site as people began bringing them into the country. I don't recall seeing ANYONE selling them in brick and mortar shops - they've been a direct to consumer bike since they returned, or so it seems to me.

Can you post some pix, or maybe post them to a gallery so someone can do a pic assist? What model do you have? Components? Lugged or internally brazed?
Here you go:

I have uploaded more pictures in this thread:
Old 08-21-20, 04:12 AM
Gonzobuster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, that definitely looks post sale to me.
The decals made me wonder. The design seems still oldschool.
Old 08-21-20, 06:23 AM
himespau 

I'm partially basing that on the decals (font screams late 80's or after - I can't really read the tubing decals) and shimano groupset (could have been added later) that looks post 1984. Are the tubing diameters french (if memory serves Peugeot transitioned over to the diameters everyone else was using the mid-80's, if these are asian-built, I would expect these to be too)? It definitely looks to be a higher class of bike (and older) than the current Bikes Direct incarnation of Motobecane. Did someone else own them between the mid-80's and when BD took over in the early 00's?
Likes For himespau:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.