Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane size question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 05:49 AM
TBra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at purchasing a 2022 Trek Domane SL6. I'm 186cm tall with an 88.6cm inseam which is a 60cm frame according to Trek's size finder. People I've spoken to say I should be on a 58cm frame, but that's just by eyeballing me and not knowing my height and inseam. I've been riding a 2014 Trek Madone H2 in a 58cm frame for the past five years which I find comfortable enough, but that may just be because it's what I'm used to riding (I've never taken the time to get a proper bike fit or try other sizes).

My local Trek dealer doesn't have any 58cm or 60cm Domanes in stock, nor can they order any in, so I can't ride one beforehand to find out what's more comfortable and will need to buy online.

Would I be better off with the 58cm or the 60cm Domane?
Old 01-31-22, 06:06 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,004 Times in 1,931 Posts
imo, i'd continue with the current size that you're comfortably fitted to as long as nothing is causing discomfort related to size fit.
Old 01-31-22, 06:09 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
We are the same height. My inseam is about 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) shorter. I have a 58cm 2021 Domane SL6. The seat height of my 58 cm is down at the lower 1/4 of the adjustment range. I test road a 56cm. It would have worked but I wanted a taller head tube. Here are a couple of pictures of my bike. This will give you an idea. I don’t ride with slammed stem.

Oh I road a 60cm Madone 5.0 before. When I bought it new the 58cm felt too small.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 01-31-22 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-31-22, 06:11 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by TBra
I'm looking at purchasing a 2022 Trek Domane SL6. I'm 186cm tall with an 88.6cm inseam which is a 60cm frame according to Trek's size finder. People I've spoken to say I should be on a 58cm frame, but that's just by eyeballing me and not knowing my height and inseam. I've been riding a 2014 Trek Madone H2 in a 58cm frame for the past five years which I find comfortable enough, but that may just be because it's what I'm used to riding (I've never taken the time to get a proper bike fit or try other sizes).

My local Trek dealer doesn't have any 58cm or 60cm Domanes in stock, nor can they order any in, so I can't ride one beforehand to find out what's more comfortable and will need to buy online.

I'm 5 cm taller with the same inseam. People tell me I should be on a 58 cm, too. If I put my numbers into the trek sizer, I get either a 60 or 62cm depending on the precision of the measurements (in other words, I am right on the cusp of a 62 cm). In my case, I end up with a long stem and the seat slammed all the way rearwards, and a 58 cm can kind of work.

With those legs, you can get the saddle high enough. How will you feel about the larger drop to the bars? If you are racing, this can be an advantage. If you are a recreational rider, it could be a pain. But anyone looking at a Domane is looking for comfort, I suppose. You sound like a 60 cm to me. If the bike shop could not convincingly explain why a 60cm is best for you, I would find another shop.
Old 01-31-22, 06:28 AM
TBra

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the info!

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
We are the same height. My inseam is about 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) shorter. I have a 58cm 2021 Domane SL6. The seat height of my 58 cm is down at the lower 1/4 of the adjustment range. I test road a 56cm. It would have worked but I wanted a taller head tube. Here are a couple of pictures of my bike. This will give you an idea. I don’t ride with slammed stem.
Sounds like the 58 will be perfect for me then. What's your saddle height?
Old 01-31-22, 06:50 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
186cm tall with an 88.6cm inseam? I reckon you could ride a 58 or 60 without any issues. The 60 is the one to choose if you want a more upright position. Compared to the 58, the 60 has 2.1cm more stack (63.2cm vs 61.1cm) but only 3mm more reach (38.3cm vs 38.0cm), so its going to feel noticeably taller but with pretty much the same reach as a 58 (would save you having to flip the stem upward like the bike in the photos above).

I'm 183cm tall with a 91cm inseam (long legs short torso) and ride a 2021 Domane SL5 58 without any problems. My inseam means I have the tall seat mast almost maxed out on the 58. I could probably ride a 56 too except for the fact that my inseam means even with the tall seat mast I couldn't raise the saddle high enough.
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 01-31-22, 07:08 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I ride a 58 on a new Domane SLR6. I also rode a 58 in my other Trek which was a more of a race fit. Im 186.5 Cm and about 88.5 cm cycling inseam. The fit is much better on the Domane than my old 58cm 2.3. I believe that is the endurance geometry. I just built a 60cm Litespeed and many of the measurements at my contact points correspond with only minor tweaking.
Old 01-31-22, 09:57 AM
tak2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I am 188 cm tall and ride a 60 cm Domane. I find their seat tube length and top tube length to be short in their sizes but the head tubes are longer when compared to sizes of most other bikes. Best would be to find one to try although I found it difficult to find a 60 cm to try a couple of years ago.
Old 01-31-22, 11:04 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Thanks all for the info!

Sounds like the 58 will be perfect for me then. What's your saddle height?
I need to write these things down. I’m away so it will take a few days to get. You might notice how much seat post is not sticking out.
Old 01-31-22, 02:04 PM
tflt
Dog bait....

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
We're very similar in dimensions, and I'd say you should go with a 58, (which is what I ended up with).

This response is actually relevant to the Pro's Closet feedback thread also. I did various fit calculators and ultimately fell back on Treks own sizing guide. On paper, I can ride a Domane 58, or 60. I decided that I was making a mistake riding the same bike, (2001 Lemond Zurich in 57) for so many years. I got the 57 way back then, when I wanted to be slammed, I hammered on that bike for all these years, refitting as necessary, but finally ran out of adjustment as the years wore on. With that I decided that life would not be complete until I got a new Domane SL6. As luck would have it, there was an SLR7 in 58 available not to far away, so I was able to get a good test ride of the Domane. I loved the bike, but have to confess I hated the Di2 drive train, I guess it's a generational thing, but my Lemond 9 speed shifted better than the electronic stuff. I contemplated pulling the trigger on the SLR7, but between the $8500 out the door price and not being impressed with the Di2, I passed on it, but knew I loved the Domane. I came across an SL6 in size 60 on the pro's closet and jumped on it, feeling the 60 would be no problem after riding the 58.
I was wrong, and the issue is the new proprietary seat posts. The 60 would have been fine if I could use the full range of adjustment, (as on normal seat posts), but due to the limited area of adjustment through the rear bolt slot, I could not lower the seat the tiny little bit required to stop my hips from rocking. This was pretty disappointing, but I knew keeping it would be a mistake, lesson learned. The next day I called TPC and explained the situation, and they took it back. I got walloped on the return shipping, but figure that's the cost of the lesson learned.
I went back to my LBS and ordered an SL6, only to get a hopeful delivery date of late spring, early summer 2022, what can I do? nothing, wait....
This was in September 21, and as we got into December I felt I should call the bike shop and make sure my name is still on an incoming bike. Before I had a chance to call, the bike shop called me to see if I still wanted the bike, I was happy to hear they had a 2022 in the shop for me if I wanted it, needless to say I responded forthwith and picked it up. They received an early shipment somehow, and did keep my name on the list, (no money down). I ended up with the greeny blue one instead of red, but can say it's perfect, (for me).
I can only run it on my old kreitler rollers right now, it's below zero here unfortunately, but will be ready when the thermometer shows a few more digits on it.
TPC was good to deal with, but you'll be paying premium prices if you go that route.
Old 01-31-22, 05:35 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by tflt
I came across an SL6 in size 60 on the pro's closet and jumped on it, feeling the 60 would be no problem after riding the 58.
I was wrong, and the issue is the new proprietary seat posts. The 60 would have been fine if I could use the full range of adjustment, (as on normal seat posts), but due to the limited area of adjustment through the rear bolt slot, I could not lower the seat the tiny little bit required to stop my hips from rocking. This was pretty disappointing, but I knew keeping it would be a mistake, lesson learned.
Trek makes two different length seat masts for the Domane - short and long. Size 58 and up come with the long seat mast as standard. Dumb mistake by Trek as it really should be a selectable option. The 60 would have been fine for you if it had a short seat mast.
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 01-31-22, 05:44 PM
tflt
Dog bait....

Originally Posted by Kabuto
Trek makes two different length seat masts for the Domane - short and long. Size 58 and up come with the long seat mast as standard. Dumb mistake by Trek as it really should be a selectable option. The 60 would have been fine for you if it had a short seat mast.
Yes, I was aware of that when I ordered the 60 cm, and tried to go that route, actually TPC tried for me also, but the shorter seat mast was not available, anywhere....
Old 01-31-22, 05:48 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by tflt
Yes, I was aware of that when I ordered the 60 cm, and tried to go that route, actually TPC tried for me also, but the shorter seat mast was not available, anywhere....
Wow, you would think Trek would try and maintain stock of those. Looks like the shorter one is in stock now...

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...t-cap/p/33924/
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 01-31-22, 05:56 PM
tflt
Dog bait....

The new limited range of adjustment of the seat post, (mast or whatever they're calling it now), is important to understand when sizing online. I only needed a hair to eliminate a slight, but present rock in my hip, and the needed space is clearly there, but limited by the range of the fixing bolt slot at the rear of the seat tube.
Old 01-31-22, 06:45 PM
TheSilverFox

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit, GT Avalanche, Trek Domane, Specialized Aethos

Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

My local Trek dealer doesn't have any 58cm or 60cm Domanes in stock, nor can they order any in, so I can't ride one beforehand to find out what's more comfortable and will need to buy online. On the Émonda did fit better on the 60 than 58.

i am identical height and just bought a Domane SL5. Walked in expecting to buy a 60, after getting fit at the shop went with the 58. Was much more comfortable, felt stretched on the 60. Did end up getting a longer stem on the 58.
Old 01-31-22, 09:28 PM
biker128pedal

I did not know my 58cm with a long seat mast. Still from my pictures above there is not much left sticking out. A 60cm would be even less.

4.5cm shorter. And one with less setback.
Old 01-31-22, 09:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked 1,772 Times in 1,027 Posts

I generally ride a 54cm frame, but for my Domane, I felt far more comfortable on a 52cm. I also changed the stem from 90 to 100mm and it was a much better fit.

Old 02-01-22, 05:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked 4,940 Times in 3,055 Posts
186cm tall with an 88.6cm inseam? I reckon you could ride a 58 or 60 without any issues. The 60 is the one to choose if you want a more upright position. Compared to the 58, the 60 has 2.1cm more stack (63.2cm vs 61.1cm) but only 3mm more reach (38.3cm vs 38.0cm), so its going to feel noticeably taller but with pretty much the same reach as a 58 (would save you having to flip the stem upward like the bike in the photos above).

I'm 183cm tall with a 91cm inseam (long legs short torso) and ride a 2021 Domane SL5 58 without any problems. My inseam means I have the tall seat mast almost maxed out on the 58. I could probably ride a 56 too except for the fact that my inseam means even with the tall seat mast I couldn't raise the saddle high enough.
You have to be careful when comparing reach with different frame stack heights. If you ran the smaller 58 frame with 21 mm more stem spacers to give an equivalent stack height to the 60 frame, then the reach difference would be actually more like 10 mm.

@OP - Ultimately you will probably fit okay on either size with minor adjustments i.e. stem length, spacers etc. If you want a more upright position and stable handling then go 60. If you want more nimble handling with a slightly more aggressive position then go 58. Coming from a 58 Madone without issues, then a 58 Domane sounds like a low risk bet to me.
Old 02-02-22, 08:41 PM
biker128pedal

Back again with size information. Thank you for asking as I needed to record this data.
Seat height Center of BB to seat intersection. 78.0cm
Reach from tip of stock seat. 53.0cm

For my set up with the stock long seat post I have about 3mm left to lower the seat. There is 7.5 cm of adjustment. The short post (Thank you for the link) would put the adjustment closer to the center. Funny the shop tried to talk me into a 56cm frame. The adjustment would have been closer to the top. A 60cm frame would have required the short seat post. $$ for that. But I want one. Could save a few grams. ;-) Glad I got the 58cm frame. I like the head tube height. Gives me room for the big three jersey colors.

Here are a few pictures. In front showing stack I need some red polka dots on the white ring for the king of the mountains jersey.

Post exposure is short. I have to raise it for my stand clamp

Just about at the bottom of the 7.5cm range

Just enough stack. A 60cm may look sportier and closer to slammed. 56cm just too much unless one wants more drop.

oh man want a short post.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 02-02-22 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-05-22, 08:29 AM
epfatboy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it helps I was on a madone 62cm and went to a Domane 60cm.

The seat post is not fully extended, got a few CM’s left before it’s maxed.

I’m 6’3” with a 34” inseam.

I went to the shop to test ride the 60 for fit thinking it would be too small but it fit nice so I took it home!
Old 02-05-22, 08:50 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
My inseam is almost exactly the same as yours but I am a little bit taller, Your legs would fit better onto the size 60, but not your torso.

You're stuck between choosing the size 58 as being the right size for your torso, and the size 60 as more or less the right size for your legs.

You want to consider how aggressive of a fit you'll be able to tolerate, and for how long you are planning to ride this way. Having some sort of stack/reach/tt measurements to go on would be pretty crucial here.

If not, I would be hesitate to buy anything before test riding. Added bonus if you can try different size stems during said test rides.
Old 02-05-22, 11:56 AM
Troul 

IMO Less that the seat post extends out of the tube is better.
ymmv
Old 02-05-22, 02:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked 1,772 Times in 1,027 Posts
when I ordered my domane, I ordered the longer post as I would have been right on the edge of minimum with the stock that came on the 52cm. I wanted to say the 54 and up comes with the longer seat post.

Old 02-05-22, 07:55 PM
Troul 

2022 - Domane SL
Frame size number/Seat tube
44 cm

47 cm

50 cm