Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke tension chart for wheels.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-25-20, 03:48 PM
tammons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Spoke tension chart for different wheels.
Is there one on the internet somewhere?

Thanks
Old 03-25-20, 06:54 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Varies with rim strength. That is, each manufacturer SHOULD publish data on maximum spoke tension for each rim. Some experts advise getting near to that tension. Or getting near the tension that just starts to taco the rim, then backing off. I've built only a couple of wheels but I've read several books on wheelbuilding by experts. There's probably an optimal tension somewhere, but in truth unless you use a wheel in extemis, there is a reasonably wide range of tensions that will give satisfactory performance.

From Roger Musson, in "Pro Wheelbuilding":
"There's a broad range of acceptable tensions and it's easy to drop into this zone and end up with a reliable wheel. Going beyond this and trying for higher tensions does not make a better or stiffer wheel..."
Old 03-26-20, 09:19 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
BTW, others may be able to give you a good rule of thumb for spoke tension if you tell them what wheel size and rim size/type and number of spokes/wheel that you are dealing with.

There's a blog here that talks about spoke tension. Suggests a 100kgf tension is a target for many rim/hub makers now. I think that this is for 700c/29er size wheels. Some comments made to that blog suggest that this is too low.

Keep in mind, too, that the spokes have maximum tension. Generally, this is not operative. For example, Sapim's Laser spoke has a round 1.5mm diameter center section. They claim a tensile strength of 1500N/mm^2. That's about 220,000 psi. That's a pretty strong alloy - this is a very high number. I suspect that this is tensile strength (stress required to break) rather than yield strength. If yield strength is 85% of that (1.28GPa, or 186kpsi) it works out that this limit gives you a max of about 230kgf on the spoke before deformation starts to occur. Applying a safety factor of 2, you get a max of about 115kgf. I reckon that this may be around the tension that a lot of folks put on their 1.5mm diameter spokes. Keep in mind that these spokes are from a top manufacturer who knows what they're doing. Spokes from run of the mill, or even worse manufacturers should probably not be this taut.

The point is if you are tightening spokes to near this level, you probably want to make sure you are getting spokes from a good mfr.
Old 03-26-20, 10:00 AM
tammons

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Weinmann 700c aluminum rims 36H with Sapim race DB spokes.
Old 03-26-20, 10:43 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by tammons
Weinmann 700c aluminum rims 36H with Sapim race DB spokes.
Follow WizardOfBoz's advice. It's unlikely that you'll inadvertently taco your rims during the build; you're more likely to not build with enough tension. If you have access to a tension gauge, use one. With enough practice you might not need it much in the future. Park publishes their tension measurements per spoke type for reference and use with their gauge. Other manufacturers do the same.
Old 03-26-20, 10:59 AM
tammons

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Park tension gage coming.

My rim is straight and true.
I am curious how far off I am.
Old 03-26-20, 11:08 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Park tool site has their tension card. Google.

I asked Park if they could send me their laminated card. They sent it along with a spoke gauge tool, no charge. Park Tools are not always the best (many are), but their customer service in my experience is definitely the BEST!

https://www.parktool.com/assets/doc/...conv-table.pdf
Old 03-26-20, 01:47 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I would try for 100kg tension.
Low spoke count wheels require more tension. Trek paired spoke wheels of the early 2000's required about 130 to 140kg.
Old 03-26-20, 02:51 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
I have a Park tension gage coming.

My rim is straight and true.
I am curious how far off I am.
Is it dished properly? I wouldn't worry about checking a spoke tension chart if the wheel is dished and true. If the chart tells you that you are off, you might screw up the wheel trying to adjust the tension to the chart. "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT".

Last edited by hrdknox1; 03-26-20 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-26-20, 03:12 PM
tammons

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is currently dished within a couple of mm. It is true with 10/1000th. Round within 10.
Old 03-26-20, 04:02 PM
hrdknox1

It is currently dished within a couple of mm. It is true with 10/1000th. Round within 10.
I guess you are just curious then. But I wouldn't mess with it if it is off a bit. There's a saying that, "CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT".
Let us know what the chart says compared to what the spokes tension measure.
Old 03-26-20, 04:37 PM
tammons

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is the rear wheel, and I just want to make sure the drive side is not crazy high, and or the other side is not too low.
Old 03-26-20, 06:09 PM
hrdknox1

This is the rear wheel, and I just want to make sure the drive side is not crazy high, and or the other side is not too low.
I don't profess to be an expert in wheel building, but I have built several wheelsets that have stood the test of time. What I can tell you is that the spoke tension on the drive side can't be off by much if the wheel is dished and true. In my opinion dishing is the most important component when building a wheel. Proper dishing is achieved by tightening the spokes evenly on either side. Once the wheel is dished, the spoke tension on either side should be proper if they are tight.

Last edited by hrdknox1; 03-27-20 at 11:19 AM.
Likes For hrdknox1: