Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clydesdale trying to find a Mountain Bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 05:48 PM
dave73

Bikes: Salsa Timberjack XT 27.5+

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all, I am not able to post my other thread link due to not enough posts. Someone suggest I repost my end result of a month looking around and lots of input from this forum. You can find the thread if you search for the thread with the subject "380lb. Want to ride a drop bar road Bike". My update from the thread though is below for all you other large guys out there that are looking to ride. I was over 380lb when i found my bike and I started to ride. By no way is the Salsa Timberjack XT 27.5+ rated for my weight on paper, but has been holding up great, it's been 3 months, 3 rides a week.

It's been working out great, better than I thought. Since I am on pavement most of the time, all I had to do was buy some 27.5+ tires that rolled a bit better on concrete. I did also have to buy a more comfortable seat, the WTB Comfort model did the trick. Other than that the TimberJack has been holding up like a champ and really suiting my needs, didn't even have to upgrade the wheels that are on there. I have lost a total of 37 pounds since May 4th and going strong!!! Hope to get myself on a road bike one day and do some some distance riding.
Likes For dave73:
Old 09-01-20, 06:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
Here's the old thread https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...road-bike.html This is good news for some of you guys who've been fretting about bike strength.
Old 09-03-20, 07:01 AM
KFrost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
How is the suspension? Im 380, want to pick up a mountain bike sometime in the winter/spring for next year (hoping to be around 300-330 by April. Started out at 425 and between Les Mills RPM spin classes and 4-5 rides per week (6-10 miles) ive dropped down to 380.
Old 09-03-20, 07:42 AM
dave73

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Honestly, I am new to MBR and wouldn't even know how to answer for you in much detail. I can say that I do all concrete pavement riding at the moment, haven't tackled any trail yet until I get bit smaller and more comfortable on the bike. With that said, I have kept it locked out all of the time because of being on concrete and haven't had any issues with the fork at all.
Old 09-06-20, 11:12 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
kFrost your suspension question is very interesting. Most if not all bicycle suspension systems have a working weight range. The design of the suspension components, be they forks, seatposts, or rear triangle, will dictate the load bearing capacity of those components. The suspension effect will be set within the acceptable range of weight that the bicycle is designed for. I don't know how many suspension systems are set up to handle the gentleman's 380lbs. Usually manufacturers will give a maximum load weight for the bicycle. I would say that if you are above the load rating for the bicycle then there is a good chance the suspension system is not optimized for the heavier rider. This means it may not actually work very well if at all. As a person loses weight and approaches the acceptable weight carrying capacity for a given bicycle design I would say the suspension will work much better or as designed. Just something more to ponder.
Old 09-07-20, 04:30 AM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dave73
Hi all, I am not able to post my other thread link due to not enough posts. Someone suggest I repost my end result of a month looking around and lots of input from this forum. You can find the thread if you search for the thread with the subject "380lb. Want to ride a drop bar road Bike". My update from the thread though is below for all you other large guys out there that are looking to ride. I was over 380lb when i found my bike and I started to ride. By no way is the Salsa Timberjack XT 27.5+ rated for my weight on paper, but has been holding up great, it's been 3 months, 3 rides a week.

It's been working out great, better than I thought. Since I am on pavement most of the time, all I had to do was buy some 27.5+ tires that rolled a bit better on concrete. I did also have to buy a more comfortable seat, the WTB Comfort model did the trick. Other than that the TimberJack has been holding up like a champ and really suiting my needs, didn't even have to upgrade the wheels that are on there. I have lost a total of 37 pounds since May 4th and going strong!!! Hope to get myself on a road bike one day and do some some distance riding.
Congrats on getting out there riding and losing the weight! That Salsa is a SWEET bike, but way out of my price range.

A few quick questions, if you don't mind:

What tires did you put on there to roll better on concrete?

Can you put your feet/toes on the ground while you're seated?

How much room do you have from the top tube and the stem when you're stopped and standing over the bike?
Old 09-07-20, 09:36 AM
dave73

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I am going to start out by saying I am new getting back into bikes so my below answer may not necessarily be the right way or thing bought, but seemed to have worked out well for me.... I recently purchased Maxxis Rekon+ 27.5x2.8 because the were less knobby than the ones that came with the bike it seemed versatile enough for both concrete and dirt. I can put my tippy toes down when seated, stand over height is about an inch off the frame. I am rather tall at 6’3” and ordered and XL frame.