Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

A shortened tour of Central Florida

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 06:09 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts

A while back I got some route inputs here for my planned ride from Venice FL to Jacksonville, and Amtrak back home to the Washington DC/MD area.

I've put a journal of my ride on CycleBlaze here.

My 5 day ride turned more into several days of local riding around Venice (very nice), about 150 miles over two days from Arcadia to Mt. Dora (mix of ugh, meh and awesome) and bailing out to avoid weather. If I was to do it again, I'd probably aim at Amtrak in Deland, or start in Auburndale and head more east than north. The 80 mile ride from Auburndale to Mt. Dora was something I'd do again - 35 miles on the TECO/Auburndale and Van Fleet trails, followed by a stop at the Yalaha bakery and a ride along Lake Dora!
Old 03-05-20, 08:46 PM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma ES, Vintage Bob Jackson Audax, Raleigh Frankenbike., Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Alloro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good stuff! After reading that, it makes me want to do Van Fleet trail again. It was so boring it made me want to die when I did it twelve years ago, but it looks like it’s changed and gotten longer.
Old 03-09-20, 06:16 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
It is now 29 miles long, with the extension on the south end. I think there was actually another mile or so on the north end past Mabel, but I got on the road to Yalaha from there.

Compared to biking on 17, it was awesome! But, the scenery along the way is pretty much just constant trees or marsh - not much scenic. The C&O Canal towpath around here has long stretches that are similarly flat and monotonous, but rare to find a paved path that way! Mixing in that stretch with the ride to Yalaha was a nice mix.
Likes For jpescatore: