Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Over-thinking and re-working... Now 4 rideable bikes, aren't.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 12:14 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

I've done it again... I just finished building up a Ron Cooper frame recently purchased from ebayUK. I had my CV-19 challenge built and ready to put some miles on. I was organising the general stash, and came across a gold plated (brass) chain... "Well that belongs on the green/gold shimmer painted Aegis challenge bike"... "And the black stem, doesn't belong on the red Cooper... Swap with the Titan which has black Sugino rings and gen 1 Cyclone derailleurs... Off comes tape, brake levers, on 2 bikes and brakes on the Aegis cause I'm going gold, with anodized Universal CX, but wait, the levers are non-aero... The Aegis is '90s era. And now half off the Holdsworth, and I forgot the blue tape half-on the Holdsworth, was meant for either the Titan or the Cooper. God forbid I go out and ride a bike or something... I'm going to put my Cyclops mounted Kestrel outside, and at least be on a saddle pretending to ride...
​​​​​​Hello from NJ...
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 04-07-20, 12:18 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I've successfully restrained myself from turning one randonneur-ish bike into a porteur and turning a townie into a drop bar bike. So far.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 04-07-20, 12:34 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Oh man, I’ve been there!
I try to work on one at a time, but once in a while you end up looking at 3 or 4 perfectly rideable bikes and start THINKING!
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 04-07-20, 12:39 PM
jreeves 

Bikes: 1984~85 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Raleigh Super Course, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
I've done it again... I just finished building up a Ron Cooper frame recently purchased from ebayUK. I had my CV-19 challenge built and ready to put some miles on. I was organising the general stash, and came across a gold plated (brass) chain... "Well that belongs on the green/gold shimmer painted Aegis challenge bike"... "And the black stem, doesn't belong on the red Cooper... Swap with the Titan which has black Sugino rings and gen 1 Cyclone derailleurs... Off comes tape, brake levers, on 2 bikes and brakes on the Aegis cause I'm going gold, with anodized Universal CX, but wait, the levers are non-aero... The Aegis is '90s era. And now half off the Holdsworth, and I forgot the blue tape half-on the Holdsworth, was meant for either the Titan or the Cooper. God forbid I go out and ride a bike or something... I'm going to put my Cyclops mounted Kestrel outside, and at least be on a saddle pretending to ride...
​​​​​​Hello from NJ...
That's why they call it a "hobby"!
Old 04-07-20, 04:12 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Haha, I totally get it. I am about to break down my 26" '87 Fisher commuter that works great to build up a bike for the GF. That will leave me with 2 rideable bikes, but I am about to swap the gruoppo on one and I really need to drop of the other to get the hanger aligned. When does it stop!?
Old 04-07-20, 04:53 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
​​​​​​Hello from NJ...
I feel your pain, brother. Someone should invent a cycling-specific term for this disorder if there isn't one already.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 04-07-20, 06:17 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
My middle name.
Old 04-07-20, 06:48 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The solution is to have a loooong project list for the house and the motor vehicles. Bikes around here don't get messed with unless they absolutely need it, and maybe not even then.
Old 04-07-20, 07:00 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Your thread title is funny because we've All been there.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 04-07-20, 07:02 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I live there.
Old 04-07-20, 07:14 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
...When does it stop!?
"In the grave, my boy, in the grave." (So quoth Mr. Natural.)

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 04-07-20, 07:17 PM
Last ride 76 

And now I have to bring everything back inside...
Was a beautiful day here weatherwise.
Old 04-07-20, 07:52 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Your thread title is funny because we've All been there.
That's because NONE of our bikes are ever 'done'... There is always that one more little tweak -- that leads to yet another tweak, that.... well... you know... QED- No bike is ever 'done'!
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 04-07-20, 10:12 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
I have always looked at my bikes as if they were Lego blocks or Erector sets. I'll build them up, take them apart and build something else. Winter is the worst, when I have a lot of time where the weather is too crappy to ride and the mind starts to wonder. Sometimes I don't even get a ride on a new configuration when I take it apart and do something different.
Old 04-07-20, 11:44 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,209 Posts
I went through this pre-plague a few months ago. When I added a new bike to the mix, stuff got shifted between four other bikes. Mostly cockpits and cranksets. It's not a big deal unless you're buying new bar tape. Stuff adds up!
Old 04-08-20, 12:05 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
Oh man, I’ve been there!
I try to work on one at a time, but once in a while you end up looking at 3 or 4 perfectly rideable bikes and start THINKING!
Perfectly stated! Ohhhh the possibilities when looking at things. And spare components. "What about...?" Sometimes I feel like I'm playing real life Rummikub, trying to make combos into other combos just to use up all my tiles. Usually sanity steps in right at the last moment and says "For another day" and I acquiesce. "Riddle, why are those parts on that frame in the first place?" [insert handful of strong reasons] "Then why are you wanting to go away from that?" "...because?..."

Completion only gives way to emotion or "the thrill of possibility" when I feel--via looking at it and via riding it--that a bike is a bit lost, or rather, has lost a sense of identity or theme. Of course it's my fault because I'm the one with the tools to do so, but it's usually the result of making other bikes their most ideal. I did that with my Prologue last week. Took very nice parts that gave it a great look, and put other nice parts that had a different look (and feel) and boom, re-found identity and back to its ideal form.
Old 04-08-20, 04:18 AM
halb 

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
halb

Clearly, the solution is more bikes.
Then you can be working on 4, 5, 6, and still have some that are rideable.
Likes For halb:
Old 04-08-20, 04:27 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I posted this picture in another forum thread recently showing how I have 4 really nice road bikes in the queue whose completion is stalled:

The Cannondale CAAD3 R1000 has been ridden by me for 1200 or so miles. I never finished the other 3 yet.
Old 04-08-20, 04:34 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
​​​​​​Hello from NJ...
First time I did this I was 11, and I had just got some birthday money, so off to the local hobby shop! Came back with three kits of 1/72 scale plastic WW2 British fighters: Spitfire, Hurricane, and a ... dunno, > 50 years ago! Any case they covered my desk for 2 years, and I finally only finished the Spitfire! Some of that was taken up with buying an airbrush and proper decals and camouflage paints, had to be Airfix, the Testors were just not period ... sheesh, sounds like today!

The 00 paint brush cost more than the paints!

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-08-20 at 04:38 AM.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 04-08-20, 05:41 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Clearly, the solution is more bikes.
Then you can be working on 4, 5, 6, and still have some that are rideable.
For me, that is very not true. I used to have a collection of between six and ten vintage road bikes. They all took up time and the time they took up was, as often as not, riding time. Sooo.

I sold all but two, keeping my trusty Legnano GP. which is finished (to paint or not to paint is still a consideration, which has been ongoing for years,now)...

And my longest ever get it done vintage bike build, the Rabineick 120d which might not get done this year, either...

I am stuck, five hundred miles away from my lake cottage, dodging virus bullets. My guess is that I will be stuck here for quite a while. Lucky for me, I will be looking at a "minty" Concorde today, with a rear wheel that needs truing. Sorry, no pics - yet but have a wee look at my front yard, in Canada...
Old 04-09-20, 11:20 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by randyjawa
For me, that is very not true. I used to have a collection of between six and ten vintage road bikes. They all took up time and the time they took up was, as often as not, riding time. Sooo.

I sold all but two, keeping my trusty Legnano GP. which is finished (to paint or not to paint is still a consideration, which has been ongoing for years,now)...

And my longest ever get it done vintage bike build, the Rabineick 120d which might not get done this year, either...

I am stuck, five hundred miles away from my lake cottage, dodging virus bullets. My guess is that I will be stuck here for quite a while. Lucky for me, I will be looking at a "minty" Concorde today, with a rear wheel that needs truing. Sorry, no pics - yet but have a wee look at my front yard, in Canada...

Oh, no worries on that score. I have bikes to ride. and at present, the time....

It's intending to make a small change/part swap and it turning into a three-(in this case, four)-ring circus.

and yeah... nice bikes and background.
Old 04-09-20, 02:46 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
A planned "little tweak" sometimes turns into a big mess of amputated bikes.

Mrs non-fixie liked the Snel I built for her a couple of months ago as her first drop bar bike ...

... but during a recent ride she mentioned it "felt a little heavy". So I decided to look into it, with the objective to lose some weight.

I managed to shave off 1.5 kgs, but ended up with having replaced everything but the bars, saddle and shifter cable stops. And two other bikes out of commission because of missing parts ...

She rode it yesterday and said "it still feels a bit heavy".

A hobby, you said?