Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cannondale synapse aero seat post

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 06:24 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

my brother was gifted a 2010? synapse with a aero seatpost (teardrop). after riding for 6mos the seatpost snapped while riding causing him to crash. after recovering and taking to lbs which specializes in cannondale they stated that that year synapse had a flaw where seat post mates to saddle clamp and it was the only year they used this style seat post on this bike. I cannot find a replacement and i'm not sure he would feel comfortable on a factory replacement post because he was told there's a "defect". now he has a bike which is not useful and he is cheap, hence me trying to correct. any suggestions or experience in this wealth of experience.....and cynicism?
Old 08-31-20, 06:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
I don't think Cannondale's lawyers would let them continue to supply a part with a known "defect." If a replacement is available directly from Cannondale I think you could count on it having been improved. If they weren't able to fix the problem they would just say no replacement available. Of course the original lasted 10 years and you don't know what abuse it may have suffered. Grain of salt with the lbs story.
Old 09-01-20, 12:25 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
The Model year was 2012. Its my primary ride. That said, I had the front tilt bolt (and its a damn captured bolt, so it can't be replaced) on the saddle clamp break after about 25K, while I was JRA - the saddle went wonky (as expected) but no crash. It was a long 15 miles home - standing. I've been riding the replacement clamp for about 10K more. I'd be surprised if the carbon mast of the seat post broke, its a fairly thick tube of carbon fiber, but anything is possible. Either mast or clamp, I'd guess that finding a replacement for a proprietary part in production for only one year will be quite difficult, if not impossible. My LBS actually had 1 replacement clamp in stock probably because of the part's history. Sadly, even without your safety misgivings, I feel that your brother's free plastic bike is worth what he paid for it and is no more.