Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hood Options for Dura Ace Levers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 09:10 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts

I'm going to assume that Cane Creek hoods will fit these brake levers. Is there any other hood that would work on this?
Old 09-23-20, 02:54 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 857 Posts
I've used Cane-Creek hoods on the early Shimano levers, the fit is ok although the front edge at the roughly 45-degree angle is off a bit, thankfully hidden from view.

As with any hood swap, be prepared to relieve the bottom front of the hoods to allow free lever movement (check this before connecting the cables!).

Also, note that CC hoods should never be rolled back while installing the bar tape, as they have a tendency to split if this is done.
This seems to be due in part to the added thickness of the top surface, which more strongly resists bending sharply.
Simply lift the edge of the hood as needed while wrapping around the levers to get the tape under the hoods.
Basically it's the same as when taping the bars around aged hoods, where a thin tool like a screwdriver is often best at lifting without stretching the hood too much.

Last edited by dddd; 09-23-20 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 09-23-20, 08:00 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Yes!
EBay seller cyclingcolors_france sells excellent repops in black, white and brown. A little plastic-y, but fit properly and last well.
Cheap, too, like $14 shipped. Takes a few weeks ro arrive.
Old 09-23-20, 08:42 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Now, about the orange bike your hiding behind the DA levers...
Old 09-24-20, 12:31 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Also, note that CC hoods should never be rolled back while installing the bar tape, as they have a tendency to split if this is done.
This seems to be due in part to the added thickness of the top surface, which more strongly resists bending sharply.
Simply lift the edge of the hood as needed while wrapping around the levers to get the tape under the hoods.
Basically it's the same as when taping the bars around aged hoods, where a thin tool like a screwdriver is often best at lifting without stretching the hood too much.
Though I have never used CC hoods, the advice above is good and should be seen as a warning. I used to stress every time I had to wrap a handlebar, hoping to avoid damaging the hood (I tend to go original as opposed to repo). But I found a much much better way to do this, being forced to consider an alternate (better) way to tape under the hoods.

I test ride my bike(s) before doing a final tape job...

When satisfied with where the levers should be left, I use PVC tape (the plastic electrician's stuff) to hold the lever mounts in position. Then, with the lever body removed, I just wrap away, getting a perfect job, or darn close to it, every time. Try getting a good wrap when using Mafac half hoods.

They are a PITA to wrap under but a SNAP (simply not a pain) when the lever bodies are not in the way. Once wrapped, just bolt the lever body back into place...
Old 09-24-20, 02:09 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Hoods and Bar Tape

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
That's a 1972 or 73 Gitane Tour de France. My almost all original 1971 TdF, even plastic factory bar tape:

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Though I have never used CC hoods, the advice above is good and should be seen as a warning. I used to stress every time I had to wrap a handlebar, hoping to avoid damaging the hood (I tend to go original as opposed to repo). But I found a much much better way to do this, being forced to consider an alternate (better) way to tape under the hoods.

I test ride my bike(s) before doing a final tape job...

When satisfied with where the levers should be left, I use PVC tape (the plastic electrician's stuff) to hold the lever mounts in position. Then, with the lever body removed, I just wrap away, getting a perfect job, or darn close to it, every time. Try getting a good wrap when using Mafac half hoods.

They are a PITA to wrap under but a SNAP (simply not a pain) when the lever bodies are not in the way. Once wrapped, just bolt the lever body back into place...
I ride the bike a little while without tape too!

I like this old timey way of wrapping Mafac levers:

Roger M

As far as hoods for 1st generation Dura-Ace levers, while I haven't tried installing Cane Creek/Dia-Come or Weinmann hoods yet, from close in hand examination, they look like they'll be a close match.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 09-25-20, 10:16 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by dddd
I've used Cane-Creek hoods on the early Shimano levers, the fit is ok although the front edge at the roughly 45-degree angle is off a bit, thankfully hidden from view.

As with any hood swap, be prepared to relieve the bottom front of the hoods to allow free lever movement (check this before connecting the cables!).

Thanks. I'll most probably buy a pair at the local bike shop. A quick remedy.

Originally Posted by rccardr
Yes!
EBay seller cyclingcolors_france sells excellent repops in black, white and brown. A little plastic-y, but fit properly and last well.
Thanks Doc. At that price, it is an easy decision. I'll try to post up my comparison between these and the CC hoods when I have both.
Old 09-25-20, 10:18 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by verktyg
That's a 1972 or 73 Gitane Tour de France. My almost all original 1971 TdF, even plastic factory bar tape:

I ride the bike a little while without tape too!

I like this old timey way of wrapping Mafac levers:

Roger M

As far as hoods for 1st generation Dura-Ace levers, while I haven't tried installing Cane Creek/Dia-Come or Weinmann hoods yet, from close in hand examination, they look like they'll be a close match.

verktyg
Thanks for that detailed information, verktyg. That helps a lot.
Old 09-25-20, 10:26 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I bought it a couple of months ago at an estate sale. As verktyg mentioned, it's a 1972 Gitane Tour De France. Here's the thread on it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...some-time.html

And what it looks like today

Old 09-25-20, 10:48 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
“Thanks Doc. At that price, it is an easy decision. I'll try to post up my comparison between these and the CC hoods when I have both.”

Just make sure you get the cheap ones if he still has them in stock. Worth asking. The more expensive ones described as ‘rubber’ are a nicer material but really not as good a fit.
I think the cheap ones are the only ones he had in all three colors, the rubber ones (which fit Record or later DA 7400) were black or gum only.
Old 10-04-20, 06:42 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Yes!
I just got 3 sets of hoods from him after seeing this. Put the one set on a set of Shimano 600 levers and just had to trim a bit off at the bottom so the lever could move freely. Seem pretty nice to me. Surprisingly I got new hoods in about a week. Really wasn't expecting them that quick.
Old 10-04-20, 11:31 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 857 Posts
Can you post a photo or two? Thanks.