Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

when does the yelling end?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

when does the yelling end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 08:02 AM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My standard reply to "Get off the road" is "Get out of the car" I have yet to have anyone actually take me up on it, though last Wednesday one fellow did come close. I guess the best thing to do in that situation, provided the motorist isn't armed, is to wait for them to get halfway out of the car door, then jam it shut and pin them there, while waiting for the police to show up.

On a side note, motorists don't seem to realize that when they roll their window down and yell something, odds are if they are stopped, I can get off the bike, and be at their window well before they get the door open. Ever try to swing out, though a car window and hit someone? Unless they are armed, they are sitting ducks, you could literally pound one senseless in a few seconds due to the fact of them being trapped in their metal cage, not to mention the leverage and angle advantages you'd have. Not to mention if they were actually stupid enough to extend an arm outside a window to attempt an attack, the elbow only bends one way, on it's own that is.

Good luck, and here is to hoping that you can avoid any physical altercations. I have so far, and for the most part I'm happy about it, but just once I'd love for a yelling idiot to actually get out and get face to face with me. Doubt it will happen, but who knows?

Joe
Old 06-23-08, 08:06 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poopskidz
i just got home from an 1 1/2 hour ride and i successfully only got yelled at 3 times 2 were fat old men in cars the other was an 18 year old hick in a lifted pickup. Is it really that exciting to see a cyclist on the road??? I guess i better get used to it since i am fairly new to cycling but how many times do i really need to be called a fagg*t
Moon them.
Old 06-23-08, 08:08 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by josephjhaney
My standard reply to "Get off the road" is "Get out of the car" I have yet to have anyone actually take me up on it, though last Wednesday one fellow did come close. I guess the best thing to do in that situation, provided the motorist isn't armed, is to wait for them to get halfway out of the car door, then jam it shut and pin them there, while waiting for the police to show up.

On a side note, motorists don't seem to realize that when they roll their window down and yell something, odds are if they are stopped, I can get off the bike, and be at their window well before they get the door open. Ever try to swing out, though a car window and hit someone? Unless they are armed, they are sitting ducks, you could literally pound one senseless in a few seconds due to the fact of them being trapped in their metal cage, not to mention the leverage and angle advantages you'd have. Not to mention if they were actually stupid enough to extend an arm outside a window to attempt an attack, the elbow only bends one way, on it's own that is.

Good luck, and here is to hoping that you can avoid any physical altercations. I have so far, and for the most part I'm happy about it, but just once I'd love for a yelling idiot to actually get out and get face to face with me. Doubt it will happen, but who knows?

Joe
people would do anything to avoid a fight.
Old 06-23-08, 08:49 AM
gazer
Rando commuter

Bikes: 2018 Boulder Bicycle All Road, 2011 Velo Orange Randonneur, 2015 Jamis Coda, 2004 Klein Aura V, 2007 Bike Friday NWT, 1989 Schwinn Sierra w/ Xtracycle

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I guess the best thing to do in that situation, provided the motorist isn't armed, is to wait for them to get halfway out of the car door, then jam it shut and pin them there, while waiting for the police to show up.
The best thing is to bike away. Most people are a lot slower on foot than you are on your bike. Call the police from a safe location if you feel the need.

"Get out of the car"
Still a great reply...

Last edited by gazer; 06-23-08 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-23-08, 09:25 AM
alpinist

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Novara Strada, Novara Forza

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been yelled at.
Old 06-23-08, 09:58 AM
aley
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
Some of the replies about escalating the situation are downright scary. Road raging drivers are bad enough, do we really need road raging cyclists to go with them?

FWIW, if someone yells at you and you physically attack them, chances are high that you'll be criminally liable for that. If someone is sitting in their car and you "literally pound one senseless in a few seconds," I hope you have a good defense lawyer, or barring that, that you don't share a cell with someone named Bubba.
Old 06-23-08, 10:03 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by aley
Some of the replies about escalating the situation are downright scary. Road raging drivers are bad enough, do we really need road raging cyclists to go with them?

FWIW, if someone yells at you and you physically attack them, chances are high that you'll be criminally liable for that. If someone is sitting in their car and you "literally pound one senseless in a few seconds," I hope you have a good defense lawyer, or barring that, that you don't share a cell with someone named Bubba.
Everybody is brave on the Internets.
Old 06-23-08, 10:03 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aley

what about sharing a cell with Mario, or Jose?
Old 06-23-08, 10:05 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by huhenio
what about sharing a cell with Mario, or Jose?
mario's cell is nicely decorated. Might perfer Bubba after all.