Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Electra Townie Go! 7D

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Electra Townie Go! 7D

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 07:55 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 98 Posts
Electra Townie Go! 7D

Wife got herself an ebike, now she wants me to "keep up". We live on a hill and me at nearly 68 yo, she sees me huffing and puffing while she pedals along like Ms. Gulch on her ebike. So I'm reluctantly looking at the Electra Townie Go! 7D. I like the version with fenders in green with tan-ish tires. She thinks its a bit gauche but i like it.
any experience or opinions on it for a pedal-assist ebike?
Old 04-27-24, 09:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 631 Posts
It depends on the hill, but if her bike has a hub motor, the Townie should suffice (and being a "Trek" you'll receive good CS). I prefer mid-drive systems for really steep terrain because the power is magnified by the drivetrain, but hub systems are fine as long as you can maintain half of the top speed while ascending. Otherwise too much energy is transferred to heat which can be deleterious to the motor. Best case, test ride whatever you're considering.
Old 04-27-24, 09:31 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 178 Posts
The green-n-tan one seems mandatory, the monochrome one looks like a hearse. Integrated battery gives it a finished look, with no giant plastic blob attached to the downtube. 45 pounds seems reasonable, given cruisers are pretty hefty to begin with.

Any way you can road test one? Have never ridden a Class 2 bike and can't comment on the experience, but boosted bikes in general are fun and you can ride home even if the battery goes flat.

Happy shopping!
Old 04-27-24, 06:18 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 209 Posts
I bought one for my wife last year; great bike. It rolls easily and is geared relatively low. Feet forward riding position, like a chopper motorcycle.

the motor is very quiet and it’s programmed smartly.

We added a rear basket and bungee net, and she loves it.

If you want a beach cruiser, and really want to have your feet on the ground at stops, it’s a good bike, but I prefer something a bit more upright.
Old 04-27-24, 07:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,056 Times in 2,704 Posts
If you want a beach cruiser with a nicer conversion kit something like the Townie is basically that. It is not a very powerful bike not great on hills (compared to other e-bikes or better hill climbing bikes). It is certainly easier up hills than a normal beach cruiser but is a crank forward design and geometry which does not lend itself well to hills. You might consider looking around at some different bikes maybe at different shops and you might find something you like more.
Old 04-30-24, 07:09 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you want a beach cruiser with a nicer conversion kit something like the Townie is basically that. It is not a very powerful bike not great on hills (compared to other e-bikes or better hill climbing bikes). It is certainly easier up hills than a normal beach cruiser but is a crank forward design and geometry which does not lend itself well to hills. You might consider looking around at some different bikes maybe at different shops and you might find something you like more.
Climbing is NO problem on this bike. It has an 8-speed cassette, but the lowest speed is for about 3-4 mph and the highest speed is for right around 20. It is well-chosen for this bike. Actually, I think it's the smartest gear range of any eBike I've ever ridden; most of them don't have a low enough low gear, because people obsess about being able to keep up with the motor at top speed.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-30-24, 08:45 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 98 Posts
I just have to keep up with my wife on her Delta M Drive 700c, is pretty much an upright cruiser style.
https://cambriabike.com/products/del...ive-700c-white
I do however have concerns about the "flat foot" design of the Electra Townie Go, which is why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on it.
Old 05-01-24, 10:40 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Originally Posted by swampyankee2
I just have to keep up with my wife on her Delta M Drive 700c, is pretty much an upright cruiser style.
https://cambriabike.com/products/del...ive-700c-white
I do however have concerns about the "flat foot" design of the Electra Townie Go, which is why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on it.
Yeah, I don't really like that feet forward design, but she loves it, as she can get her feet down at the stops without getting out of the seat and still have decent leg extension.
If you don't need to get your feet down without getting out of the seat, then I'd avoid it and look at something else.
One thing about that Flat Foot Technology is that it makes it pretty hard to stand up on the pedals.
Old 05-01-24, 10:41 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

How about an Aventon Soltera.2 instead?
Ride1UP has some nice options too, and good quality. (though not quite as nice as Aventon, in my experience)