Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Maybe I shouldn't have lied.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 07:59 PM
mushrooshi
Hills scare me.

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've put my self in a bit of a predicament with an LBS

Well, here is the thing:

I was shopping at some LBSes for a snazzy bike. At one particular store, the staff is very friendly, it was a smaller store but with great products and prices, and after a we talked to the staff, one set us up in which they would reserve a bike and call us later to see if we wanted the bike. We instead got a bike at another LBS. My dad said not to be rude and say "We got a bike at another store", but instead to say "I think I'll put off bike buying for a year". Of course that is a lie.

If I want to shop there again, I am worried one of the staff would bring up "Didn't you say you were putting the bike off for a year". However, they could easily see through the lie, and they got a lot of business anyway, infact the LBS is one of the highest rated in my city. If I come back, how should I respond if that point is every brought up? I wouldn't expect them to inquire about it though, since the staff is friendly and doing that is kind of a ****** move, but incase they do, how should I respond? What should the 'cooldown' period be before I visit the store again? I mean, its suspicious that one day you say you aren't buying a bike, but the next day you 'magically' have a bike. Am I overthinking this? Do you think they just think "His dad told him to say that, that kid is thoughtful".

The best I can think of is "Well, my friend gave me a bike, so I need to pick up ____"
Old 08-15-09, 08:03 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You should probably tell them not to hold that bike for you. You might or might not tell them exactly why. I know that's just a bit uncomfortable.

But this way, you're at least not being rude.
Old 08-15-09, 08:05 PM
DigiK

Bikes: Kona Dr. Dew '09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How bout, "My friend is an avid cyclist and just upgraded his/her rig. They gave me a deal I couldn't refuse, but I still want to give you whatever business I can in the future." They know they can't win them all; but you can still build a good relationship with them, even if you didn't buy your bike there. Everyone's happy that way.
Old 08-15-09, 08:51 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about telling them your dad bought the bike at another store, but you like the atmosphere in theirs and plan to get your accessories and parts there? Drop by and do it in person, and buy a tube or patch kit or helmet or something while you're there. Having a good relationship with a shop is worth a few dollars. One of these days you'll break a spoke on the night before a big ride, and they'll be there to help.
Old 08-15-09, 09:01 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Tell 'em your Dad is a melon-head and he bought you a bike at another shop. But you'll be shopping there as you like the store better. You'll be forgiven. LOL.
Old 08-15-09, 09:12 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Call 'em & tell 'em not to hold the bike, you changed your mind, but you will be buying parts & svc from them for it. Then wait about three months........
Old 08-15-09, 09:37 PM
redrivergar
Racing the Reaper!

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just do what my son does. Make sure your dad buys all the bike gear, and don't worry about it!
Old 08-15-09, 09:56 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
How about telling them your dad bought the bike at another store, but you like the atmosphere in theirs and plan to get your accessories and parts there? Drop by and do it in person, and buy a tube or patch kit or helmet or something while you're there. Having a good relationship with a shop is worth a few dollars. One of these days you'll break a spoke on the night before a big ride, and they'll be there to help.
^^^ If this is the truth then I'd go by this.

The point is you feel bad about this and a lesson is learned. If you really do like this shop then by all means continue to go there and bring your friends.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-15-09, 11:30 PM
rowedave76

Bikes: Kona Dew Plus 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No need to lie. Just be honest with them, I'm sure you would expect the same from them if you do business with them. If they get their feelings hurt, then oh well. You don't owe them anything. They held the bike because you weren't ready to purchase from them, and you needed time to decide. You made your decision, its time to let them know.
Old 08-16-09, 12:08 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt they would remember what you said 15 minutes after you left.
Old 08-16-09, 12:12 AM
mushrooshi
Hills scare me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm.

The main people I talked to at the LBS were 'Alex' and 'Mom' (Their real names are similar, but not the same), but I got the call from 'Joe'. What are the chances 'Joe' said "He's holding off the purchase for a year", rather simple than "Not buying" or something similar.

I saw 'Alex' twice, on my 1nd and 2st visit, and 'Mom' on my 2rd aswell. I haven't seen (or at least antiquated) with 'Joe' at all.
Old 08-16-09, 12:12 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most adults can tell when they are being played. No use in developing a relationship with a shop on a lie. Either be straight with them or get your service somewhere else. What was the reason you got the bike somewhere else? If the other shop had a better price did you consider giving the first shop a chance at the deal? If you didn’t give them a shot after looking at the second shop they will know sooner or later. Think about how you feel when someone lies to you. Most bike shops I have dealt with won’t hold a grudge if you give them a shot at something you want to buy. But they aren’t likely to go the extra mile to help you get something serviced in a hurry if they can’t believe you are telling them the truth about when you need it done.
Old 08-16-09, 12:14 AM
mushrooshi
Hills scare me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Most adults can tell when they are being played. No use in developing a relationship with a shop on a lie. Either be straight with them or get your service somewhere else. What was the reason you got the bike somewhere else? If the other shop had a better price did you consider giving the first shop a chance at the deal? If you didn’t give them a shot after looking at the second shop they will know sooner or later. Think about how you feel when someone lies to you. Most bike shops I have dealt with won’t hold a grudge if you give them a shot at something you want to buy. But they aren’t likely to go the extra mile to help you get something serviced in a hurry if they can’t believe you are telling them the truth about when you need it done.
They are the only shop I've seen with a Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2.

They didn't have many entry level hybrids either, but the bikes they primarily carry are Redline and Marin, and the shop I got mine at stocked mainly Giant and Specialized, so I don't think you could really do a price match.

What did you mean by 'Give them a shot'?

Hmm. I could try this strategy: Send my mom and sister out as my proxy buyers.
Old 08-16-09, 12:22 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think you should invest in a series of clever disguises.
Old 08-16-09, 12:26 AM
mushrooshi
Hills scare me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm.

New strategy:

Wait it out 2 months. My dad will be stationed in Japan by then. Then, going with my mom, I can walk in and go buy a product, and if questioned, I'll just tell the truth and say I got a bike somewhere else, but that I do like his shop and will support his LBS.
Old 08-16-09, 01:47 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
You should probably tell them not to hold that bike for you. You might or might not tell them exactly why. I know that's just a bit uncomfortable.

But this way, you're at least not being rude.
I think this is what I would go with. You are not lying, and you are not having them hold a bike for you. Sometime later, you bring the bike in for repairs, or whatever. You don't mention the prior conversations, and they probably won't either. As someone else said, a lie is not a good basis for a continuing relationship.
Old 08-16-09, 02:42 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Don't lie to the LBS. It will not hurt them, but it will cost you.

The shop guy that helped you with choosing a bike and the bike fit, WILL remember you. And that person will know that you lied. That person will tell the rest of the shop guys that you are a liar.

Now, none of shop guys will bring it up to you, but from then on, you will be on your own in that LBS picking out accessories, parts and even your next bike. Any good deals that they know about, you will not get told about, you are on your own. Need a quick repair on the spot; not likely.

Once you have picked out something to buy, they will politely ring it up for you. They will politely tag your bike for repair, but it goes to the back of the line for even the simplest repair.

Now if your were just honest with shop guy and told them that you picked a bike that they did not carry and please put the bike being held back up for sale, they would have been cool with that. They are avid cyclist and know how personal picking a bike can be. They would still be happy to help you pick out and fit other bike stuff and tell you about good deals. Simple repairs might even get done for free on the bike bought from the other shop (but warranty work and the first free tuneup would still get sent to the LBS that sold you the bike).

My best suggestion to you now is: buy a big bag of bagels and go into the LBS guy that held the bike for you and explain how your Dad lead you astray and thought he was only trying to be polite. Then you might be able to get back to an OK standing with the LBS.
Old 08-16-09, 07:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Life isn't that complicated.

1. It isn't your job to make the bike shop people happy. They get paid to make you happy. Learn the distinction between business and personal rejection.

2. "The truth shall set you free." "I'm sorry, we bought a bike from another source." That'll probably end the conversation because they just want to know whether they should continue to hold the bike for you. If they ask why, revert to the truth: "They offered a little lower price." "They threw in a free (whatever)" "We felt that everybody's offers were about equal so, after shopping all day, we just bought at the last shop that we visited." People deal better with facts, even if it's facts they don't like, than they do uncertainty.

3. They're job is still to sell you stuff. If you need to buy even just an inner tube, walk right in with your head up and look them in the eye. Buying a $40.00 lock from them says that it's not personal, just business. They'll appreciate the sale, trust me.
Old 08-16-09, 08:52 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

^^^^
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-16-09, 09:11 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I think simply telling them you bought a bike elsewhere is the best approach. Or just telling them you are no longer interested in the bike they are holding for you if you don't feel inclined to offer an explanation. These people are in business. You don't win every sale, and they have to know that rule.

Old 08-16-09, 11:53 AM
mushrooshi
Hills scare me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it does make sense if a teenager one day decides to put something off, then the next their interest resparks and its a continuous cycle...

So, just a cooldown period of 3 months, then arriving back I would say I got the bike elsewhere 2 months before, and everything is alright?
Old 08-16-09, 12:55 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by mushrooshi
Well, it does make sense if a teenager one day decides to put something off, then the next their interest resparks and its a continuous cycle...

So, just a cooldown period of 3 months, then arriving back I would say I got the bike elsewhere 2 months before, and everything is alright?
Nope. You still don't have it. There's nothing personal involved here. It's just a straight business deal.
You don't owe them an apology for not buying the bike from them. It's their fault. If they had offered you a better deal you wouldn't have bought the bike from the other shop. There's no cool down period. If it's convenient for you to go back tomorrow and buy a lock to safeguard your new bike, do it. While they would rather have sold you the bike, they still want to sell you other stuff.

Once you figure this out your life is going to get a whole lot easier. Your responsibility is to do whatever's best for you. Then you stand erect and accept responsibility for your actions. NO WEASELING EVER! Do that and everybody is going to respect and like you more.
Old 08-16-09, 02:07 PM
fatboy cycling

Bikes: 2015 Access Chinook Bravo Fat Bike /2012 Scott CR1 Comp /2009 Trek FX 7.3 White-Silver Duotone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about not lying in the first place!
Old 08-16-09, 02:27 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

The longer you wait, the longer they are missing selling it to someone else. Maybe you can tell them as soon as you can - that would be a nice courtesy.
Old 08-16-09, 02:58 PM
mushrooshi
Hills scare me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fatboy cycling
How about not lying in the first place!
Yea, this is a lesson I will definitely take with me. I can't appease everyone...

Rather than fix a lie with a lie, I'll just say I got a bike somewhere else. They had a very large mtb and road bike selection, but not much hybrids, and none that really fit other than a womens size. I'm sure they will understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.