Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The best state to ride in

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-20-10, 07:59 PM
Lamabb
Doesn't ride enough

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Caad9 5 / 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker/ 2013 Orbea Orca Bli2 / 2011 Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I thought it would be a cool idea for everyone to say what state they think is the best for cycling and why.

I gotta say New York (excluding the city, that place is horrid for cyclists, sorry NYCers)

In New York we got rolling hills with enough climbing to get your legs burning and heart pumping, but nothing that will require miles and miles of climbing. In the Hudson Valley where I live, we have beautiful reservoirs scattered throughout the area. Cars are cautious for the most part and leave at least 3 feet (with the occasional bad driver who wont)

We have plenty of bike paths in the state that go pretty far and many bike-friendly bridges and ferry's to get over the Hudson river. If you live up near buffalo, I hear they have an incredibly avid cycling community and Niagara falls.

also, most cyclists are friendly here, not to say they aren't elsewhere, but there are less "elitists" who won't even spare a wave or nod. (except in the city... which is odd because I don't know HOW you can train efficiently there)

So, anyone think another state is better for cycling?
Old 05-20-10, 08:04 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to go with Virginia, just because I ride there the most. There's climbs to challenge anybody, plenty of open country roads, and just lots of great areas to ride in.

the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive are amazing, and there's plenty of great mountain biking as well.

edit: also, to add, not Florida. It's hot, flat, and people try to run you down.
Old 05-20-10, 08:29 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
California - pick your poison.
Old 05-20-10, 08:38 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would say California, it's got nice weather and lots of different terrain types.
Old 05-20-10, 08:44 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Well it sure as H*** isn't North Carolina, the state that's about to try and regulate pace lines. Yeah you read correctly, they're voting on a law to make it illegal to ride more than 2 across and, when a car approached from the rear, you have to go to a single line. It doesn't matter that such a law makes no sense, they're going to vote on it anyway. So it sure isn't NC.
Old 05-20-10, 08:51 PM
smith-great

Bikes: What is a bicycle?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minnesota. Some of the best cyclists I know are from there and they don't let the pesky 9 month winter interfere with cycling year round.

I vote Nebraska off the list. Too flat and WAY too much wind.
Old 05-20-10, 08:55 PM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Anyone watch the Tour of California on TV this week? Case closed.
Old 05-20-10, 09:03 PM
IVIEACH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Anyone watch the Tour of California on TV this week? Case closed.
+1
Old 05-20-10, 09:08 PM
g.r.e.g.

Location: Saratoga Springs, NY summer, SLC, UT fall,winter,spring

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Six 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamabb
I thought it would be a cool idea for everyone to say what state they think is the best for cycling and why.

I gotta say New York (excluding the city, that place is horrid for cyclists, sorry NYCers)

In New York we got rolling hills with enough climbing to get your legs burning and heart pumping, but nothing that will require miles and miles of climbing. In the Hudson Valley where I live, we have beautiful reservoirs scattered throughout the area. Cars are cautious for the most part and leave at least 3 feet (with the occasional bad driver who wont)

We have plenty of bike paths in the state that go pretty far and many bike-friendly bridges and ferry's to get over the Hudson river. If you live up near buffalo, I hear they have an incredibly avid cycling community and Niagara falls.

also, most cyclists are friendly here, not to say they aren't elsewhere, but there are less "elitists" who won't even spare a wave or nod. (except in the city... which is odd because I don't know HOW you can train efficiently there)

I was just talking to my dad about this today. I live 15 minutes east of Saratoga and we have all the hills you can want while having mostly beautiful rolling countryside with NO cars on a lot of the back roads. Plus the course for the Tour of Battenkill is about 10 miles from me so not bad at all. Greg
Old 05-20-10, 09:18 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have done a few centuries in Adelaide, and the riding is fantastic.
Old 05-20-10, 09:23 PM
ktanner777
Plz refer to rule #5

Bikes: Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a state but the Côte d'Azur of France is amazing.
Old 05-20-10, 09:42 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Post this in the MTB forum and you will get a consensus of Colorado. I still like Colorado for road as well. If you're looking for scenery, get a post card.
Old 05-20-10, 09:44 PM
navyasw02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I haven't biked in all the states I've lived, I'd recommend New Hampshire, Maine, and California.
Old 05-20-10, 09:57 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flanders
Old 05-20-10, 10:05 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeleague.org/programs/b...awards2010.pdf
Old 05-20-10, 11:14 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cali. no other place is even close. Cali is diverse, but here is a rundown slightly simplified, but not much:

1 SoCal Coastal SB to SD, rideablbe virtually every day of the year. Some winter days you can need a jacket and knickers, maybe a rain shell and pants if you are out for several hours. Between LA and SD, less than between SB and LA. May-October f**k off, if you have two wheels you are the king (queen) of the road..

Central Cal coast, SB to SF a little more warmth is necessary most of the time. Definitely more rain protection in winter.

NorCoast SF to Oregon) requires more warmth and rain protection.

Coastal mountains, dial it up for warmth over coasts. Snow storms can cut you off totally. SoCal lesss than NorCal, but snow blockages occur Dec-April.

Valleys just behind the coastal mountains are a little drier than the coasts in the wet winter season, and they get warmer faster, can get really hot But it's dry heat) in June-Sept. Morning rides are really nice June-Sept. Even into Nov in Corona, Temecula and Escondido.

Central Valley, rideable just about all year north to south. Valley fog occurring sporadically Dec-Apriil (mostly San Joaquin, but Sacto too) can be really dense, not a good time to ride. You don't want to deal with this s**t. But this is not common. June-Sept can be really hot between 12 and 10 PM, mostly dry heat. . Not bad riding at all, but stay hydrated, or ride around the heat.

Mojave High Desert, windy a lot but ridable almost every day of the year, if you can do the wind, and don't mind some "sand-blasting". In July-Sept, ride early in the day, or late at night. Watch out for monsoon, sandstorms mostly happeneing in August.

Coachella?Imperial Valleys, some of the best Nov-April rides anywhere. Summertime gets oppressively hot, ride early (even late night is really hot and even early AM can be like, I got up at 5 AM and it's 85!) Fortunately it's dry heat.

Sierras are totally beautiful. A lot of the passes get closed Nov-April (sometimes May, even June). Winter, you have to dress like Minnesotans. Some passes you have to turn back. Summer, it's kinda cold early AM, but by 11-12 is like take your top off baby, it's warm even hot, but dry. Good till 8 PM easily.

Cascades and Siskyous, pretty much like the Sierras.
Old 05-21-10, 12:05 AM
recon455

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably California, but I love Colorado.

Originally Posted by roccobike
Well it sure as H*** isn't North Carolina, the state that's about to try and regulate pace lines. Yeah you read correctly, they're voting on a law to make it illegal to ride more than 2 across and, when a car approached from the rear, you have to go to a single line. It doesn't matter that such a law makes no sense, they're going to vote on it anyway. So it sure isn't NC.
Isn't that how it is for most states? That's how it already technically is here in Colorado.
Old 05-21-10, 12:25 AM
Brightwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say whatever state/province you live in - convenient location. I bike in a state of denial, but that's different.

edit: I would also have to say not Florida as it is too flat and the bridges in the Keys scare the **** out of me.
Old 05-21-10, 12:37 AM
azncarbos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to say California and Colorado.
Old 05-21-10, 12:55 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smith-great
Minnesota. Some of the best cyclists I know are from there and they don't let the pesky 9 month winter interfere with cycling year round.

I vote Nebraska off the list. Too flat and WAY too much wind.
you say some of the best cyclists are from Minnesota. there is a reason why they ride somewhere else. I've been in Minnesota when it was 20 below and snowing...trust me it was not good riding weather.
Old 05-21-10, 12:55 AM
Uni-Vibe
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Texas.

Just because.
Old 05-21-10, 12:57 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Inside the US.. For sure California. It's got variety galore. Decent roads. Stay out of the big cities, motorists are pretty aware of the presence of cyclists.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-21-10, 04:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Tasmania ... lots of variety!!
Old 05-21-10, 04:22 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamabb

I gotta say New York
(excluding the city, that place is horrid for cyclists, sorry NYCers)

incorrect.
Old 05-21-10, 05:03 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really love riding in the mountains of North Carolina, but I have to agree with California............ so diverse, warm weather, and yeah, the Tour shows it all!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.