Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me date my Raleigh?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-12, 09:25 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

I just picked up an old Raleigh yesterday. As far as I can tell, it's a Sports, but almost all of the badging has come off or been removed. It's currently built up as a single-speed with a coaster brake, and a front caliper, but the shifter cable pulley is still attached (plastic with a clamp) just above the bottom bracket. I've looked on Sheldon's serial number database, and I've read through the pages on The Headbadge, and I'm quite confused, because it doesn't seem to match anything.

Serial number is 2750044 with no letters or anything. It's located on the back of the seat tube, below the seat lug. Front wheel is a Dunlop. As far as I can tell, it's chromed steel and might be one of the lightweight rims, as it's quite light, even with a tire on it.

The color is interesting...it's a dark sort of emerald green, but it's not exactly the same shade everywhere. On the seat tube, for example, it's a bit darker than much of the rest of the frame. It looks like it was either original, or a super-professionally done re-spray, as there's no indication of over-spray or masking on the headbadge, or the little chrome tip on the front fender. Speaking of fenders, it has the white Lucas reflector on the rear, but there's no white tail stripe. There's some chrome pinstriping that looks to be some sort of mylar-like material, which is peeling off in some places.

I can get more pictures if necessary, but here are a few to start:

Old 12-22-12, 09:31 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[h=2]Can anyone help me date my Raleigh?[/h]
Have you tried telling it you think it's pretty and laughing at the funny things it says?
Old 12-22-12, 09:35 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Have you tried telling it you think it's pretty and laughing at the funny things it says?
Hah! I was expecting that one...
Old 12-22-12, 09:45 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Its an odd mix of a newer (post '70) frame with older Raleigh front brake, hub, new rims and coaster brake. That shade of green was often seen on Euro export models too. Tough to give an exact date.

I'd guess mid-late 70's based on earlier webbed crank.

Last edited by clubman; 12-22-12 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 09:51 PM
agmetal

Thanks for the info. Any idea what's up with the lack of the white tail on the fender?
Old 12-22-12, 09:54 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Not untypical of some export models.
Old 12-22-12, 10:42 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Coaster brakes are fun.
Old 12-23-12, 03:04 AM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar bike, I'd say mid 70's.
Old 12-23-12, 03:23 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Have a look at How Old Is My Bicycle?, paying closest attention to Component Numbers. That should help you figure out the bicycle's vintage. Perhaps you will get lucky and, if the hubs are SA, then a two digit date code will be stamped. The bike pictured is a 1975 Raleigh Sports, which is very similar to yours, however; yours has been converted to a single speed or fixed gear design. Not sure if the hubs are original.

Some provinces in Canada and, probably some states in the US, did not require that the rear of the fender be painted white. If the bicycle was prepared for one of those areas, then there would be no white on the fender. I am not saying this is the case, but it does represent a distinct possibility.

Hope this is a help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RaleighSport_57_HubRear.jpg (97.7 KB, 4 views)