Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help identifying this Mavic Cosmic rear hub..

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-29-14, 05:18 PM
TheRobbStory
Legend in my own bedroom

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount,, Cinelli Unica, Colnago Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up this wheelset last week for next to nothing, and now I'm starting to understand why. Two LBS's were stumped as to what kind of cassette this thing would take. The consensus seems to be that it's some kind of proprietary Mavic system. There's very little information online. Perhaps someone here could lend some knowledge?

All I know is that the wheelset is from around 1994, has sixteen bladed spokes, and is kind of blue.

Ideally, I'd like to use it with a Campy Chorus 8-speed drivetrain. Am I wasting my time?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2666.jpg (107.1 KB, 30 views)
IMG_2667.jpg (91.4 KB, 28 views)
IMG_2668.jpg (96.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-29-14, 07:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Sure looks like Campy 8-sp to me. One "groove" should be slightly larger than the others, but the 8 splines should be the same size. Sort of.

Killer wheels, in my opinion, Mavic's answer to the Vento and Shamal.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-29-14 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 08:45 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Sure looks like Campy 8-sp to me. One "groove" should be slightly larger than the others, but the 8 splines should be the same size. Sort of..
mavic did make there own proprietary cog/cassette spline pattern for several years but they were fairly rare. THe mavic pattern is 9-spline (like shimano) but used very different looking rounded grooves Urban legends, and things I was right to believe in... ~ tears for gears

Original campy 7/8 speed spline pattern was symetrical, no wide groove or spline. The later EXA-drive 8-speed pattern had a single wide spline to enforce cog alignment. Fortunately, exa-drive cogset will still fit fine on an early cassette body, just keep them aligned correctly for good shifting.
Cassettes and Cogs - Branford Bike - Seattle/Bellevue - Campagnolo Pro Shop Looks to me like you have the original campy spline pattern so any 8-speed campy cogset (exa-drive or original) should fit and work fine with 8-speed chorus drivetrain.

good thread on various mavic/campy spline patterns and bodies at; Mavic Helium Freehub Body
Old 03-30-14, 09:48 AM
TheRobbStory
Legend in my own bedroom

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount,, Cinelli Unica, Colnago Sprint

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help, gents. Went ahead and ordered an 8-speed Exa Drive cassette. If that doesn't work, I'll resell these and invest in a hyper-inflated set of Shamals.